Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Time for new ballasts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Time for new ballasts?

So i get out of class today, throw on the headlights and take off. Get to the gas station and only one side is lit. So i pop the hood and check the connection, it was kinda loose, popped it back in and the light came back on. COOL! shut the hood, boom light back off. Pop the hood again, tighten the connector light comes on and 30 seconds later it goes out. Repeat the process and this time is stays on for a little while longer and goes out again. So i drive to my apartment with ONE headlight. So down to troubleshooting some more. Try it again, unplug, connect, comes on..but this time i noticed that it flickers a little bit and then dies. I also noticed that if i turn OFF the headlights entirely and flick them back on, they both light up and eventually the left one dies.

background on the hid kit..these are the flowlighting hids, used them for about 2 years, previous owner used em for about 2 years. So, question is, time for new ballasts or could it be the bulb? And since mobilehid is out, does anybody recommend the meng motorsports hids? anything bad? other recommendations?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

meng's stuff is fine. typical HID kits that are of good quality and at a decent price.

hope you didn't pay for those HIDs you got.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

update

after i pulled my car into my apt complex (headlight was out of course)..left it as is and went to bed..went out this morning to go pick up some things at the store for breakfast..pull back into my apt complex and park the car..jus for the hell of it i throw on the headlights just to see..get out and watch em..no dimming, no flickering, didnt even go out for a good 10 minutes..just a fluke?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:01 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

probably an intermittent problem that comes and goes... there's no guarantee the problem might come back. probably would wanna have it checked out.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its ur ballast my foglight does it sometimes, just buy a balast from ebay they work fine for a couple of years