Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Weird Steering Wheel control behavior (PAC SWI-PS)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Weird Steering Wheel control behavior (PAC SWI-PS)

I was wondering if anyone else experienced this before. I have a Pioneer Premier DEH-P780MP Headunit, and im using a PAC SWI-PS to get steering wheel controls to work. Everything has been working fine now for about 3 month, but this morning I noticed that the MODE button on the steering wheel has been acting weird.

It works fine as a SRC/PWR button when the HU is off or in the CD Playback mode, but when I am in the Radio mode, the MODE button turns the ATT (mute) mode on and off. This sucks because I can use the MODE button to switch from CD to Radio, but can't use it to go back to CD mode since it starts acting as an att button.

Has anyone experienced this before? I don't think its the PAC, since it allways sends the same signal no-matter what mode the HU is in, so it has to be something with the HU thats not interpretting the MODE signal correctly in the Radio mode.

Anyone experienced with Pioneer know what can be happening?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Those pac devices are hit and miss. What you are saying, i've heard numerous times before. You can go back in there and check all the wires/resistors, but the fact is, a lot of things can and usually do go wrong with those things from what i've seen. I just installed an eclipse aftermarket with sw controls and no pac device, just wired it in. I don't know/think you can do that with a pioneer, but maybe its worth a look.

You can try it with a different pioneer unit, but my feeling is that its the pac as i've seen that happen all too frequently. A friend of mine who owns an audio store on long island said that he wont carry those anymore because too many people came back complaining about them, wanting refunds, etc.

I'd check all of the wiring and maybe reset the pac by reprogramming it...
Old 08-15-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Doesn't look like it was the PAC, I reset my HU and it seems to be working fine now. I guess Pioneer expects stuff like this to happen since they have a reset pinhole button on the front of the HU.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

lol yea, glad it works! its amazing how that little reset button avoided such a major disaster!