Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Yet another 'Help me choose an HU' thread... :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:05 PM

Default Yet another 'Help me choose an HU' thread... :)

Ok so I'm FINALLY going to buy a touchscreen HU... It's been a while since I've been in the market so I figured I might as well find out what everyone else is using these days. A head unit that does seem pretty cool to me right now is the Alpine w505... What other head units out there are as good or better than the Alpine? The functions I'm looking for are:

Primary - Great & speedy iPod controls, iPod movie playback, DVD playback
Secondary - Nav, DiVX playback, bluetooth

It would be nice to find a good unit with all of these features but if I could find one with most of the features I'd settle for that as well...

Suggestions?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a bit partial b/c I love my AVIC... but I'd say F900BT should do you pretty well.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:49 PM

That one looks pretty interesting. My only thing with that one would be the smaller screen since it has those buttons on the side... it is touch screen though right? I don't have to use the **** or buttons if I don't want right? I wonder what the difference between that one and the w505 would be.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The smaller screen isn't an issue for me since I never had anything larger... but you will use the **** and the couple buttons at some point - but the screen is where most of the action is. I have no idea what the differences would be though - and I'm sure you'll get a couple other suggestions.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:09 PM

This Clarion NX509 also looks like a nice option as well.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 PM

So far my choices look like:

Alpine w505
Kenwood DNX8120
Clarion NX509
Avic F900BT
Avic F90BT (not sure what the difference between the F90 and F900)

So these 5 make the cut... now which one to choose? Hmmm....
Old 05-05-2009, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

F90BT here. The lag is annoying at first, but you get used to it.
Screen size has not been an issue for me either, it is way biger than my old on the window GPS. Plus I have always like ***** to control the volume rather than buttons.

Plus, there are so many mods on AVIC411.com to do to it. That is, in my mind, what makes it nice.

What ever you get, make sure it has minimum 4 volt out-puts. going from 2v to 4v is a huge difference.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:28 AM
SL Member

the avic f90 is the premeir with a 2 year warranty and has a higher voltage output
Old 05-12-2009, 01:02 AM

Wow 09tC_CB7 there are some pretty amazing mods for the avic F series.... That could be a deal sealer for me... I'm a pretty mod-centric person I mod everything, including my tv firmware LOL.... I wonder if any of the other head units I've mentioned here has forums dedicated to them with mods that can be done as well? Anyone know if any of the other head units can be modded?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:50 AM

So I'm guessing the Avic is the only one that is really customizable?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Yet another 'Help me choose an HU' thread... :)

I just went and got the W505.... Its wonderful! I am very impressed with it but still trying to figure out the nav thing... Interface is easy to use and quick, the screen is soft and light touches (VERY light) will get things selected. iPod interface is simple displays the next few songs on the playlist. The list can continue, but as I said I am impressed with it.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by rougenite
I just went and got the W505.... Its wonderful! I am very impressed with it but still trying to figure out the nav thing... Interface is easy to use and quick, the screen is soft and light touches (VERY light) will get things selected. iPod interface is simple displays the next few songs on the playlist. The list can continue, but as I said I am impressed with it.
Now that it's been a couple of weeks, how do you feel about it? I've read some horrible reviews on the nav and bluetooth portion of the unit. The consensus seems to be the music and video functions are great but the Nav and Bluetooth are absolutely abysmal. Can you confirm or deny?
Also can you play videos from your iPod using the full speed iPod cable or do you need to connect it through the USB to play video?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now that it's been a couple of weeks, how do you feel about it? I've read some horrible reviews on the nav and bluetooth portion of the unit. The consensus seems to be the music and video functions are great but the Nav and Bluetooth are absolutely abysmal. Can you confirm or deny?
Also can you play videos from your iPod using the full speed iPod cable or do you need to connect it through the USB to play video?[/quote]

Well my Nav doesnt work...but i wont fork out the money for a new one...decided that LEDs from Jeremy were a better idea lol. As far as bluetooth i really havent had any problems with it.

As far as videos go, Im not sure about the video, as i use a smaller ipod. My car has been down for about a week due to led swap and some butthole hitting my car...while it was parked... (hes lucky to be alive) I have some friends with the video Ipod and will test it out either tonight or tomorrow and let you know whats up
Old 05-28-2009, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everything seems to work just fine to me on it If u leave the vide part on when you turn off your car, when you start it up again it seems to be a little slow booting up, it just plays the sound with no video for about 4 seconds. Ither than that i think its cherry