Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

'06 tC - AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:43 PM

Default '06 tC - AC issue

Hello all. Need some help. I had some issues with my car recently and my mechanic could not figure out what was wrong. After bringing to dealer and they could not find I started changing out parts. I changed starter, fuel pump and alternator. None of that turned out to be the problem. Turned out it was a loose ground wire touching the block causing it to stall out while driving. But after changing the alternator (last thing changed before discovering the loose ground) my AC stopped working. Was not blowing out cold air. I brought it back to mechanic and he could not figure it out so he ran a wire from battery straight to the compressor so I could still have cold air. This worked, however the compressor is always on and it froze up on me one day and caused my car to stall out. I disconnected the compressor and just drove with no AC for a while. But I live in South FL and this happened when it started getting cool out so it wasn't that bad. Now that summer is coming, I need my AC.

I decided not to go back to that mechanic and brought it somewhere else. This guy has been working on it for 3 days and finally said that it was my computer that was the issue. He said that I am going to be looking at $1000+ with parts and labor.

I am no mechanic and know little about cars. But I have a feeling this guy is trying to rip me off.

If it is fact the computer, can anyone tell me the exact part(s) (ECU, etc) so I can research to see if I can find cheaper.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would you change all those parts for....but anyway,have you tryed replacing the ac compressor itself,or maybe the pulley or belts or loose or needs to be replaced...but i doubt the ecu has anything to do with the ac,