Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

2007 Scion tC - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 01:03 PM
SL Member

Default 2007 Scion tC - What to do?

I have a 2007 tC which I purchased about 3 years ago. The history is this. Original motor blew (go figure oil consumption). My mechanic placed another 2.4 directly from Japan into the car. That motor had about 60K on it. The Scion has 120k total miles on it at that time and I have only put 9k on it over three years.
The clutch was replaced, brakes, tires etc.. I was informed that the 2.4's directly from Japan they were not as bad with the oil consumption issues. I was not fully aware of how bad the oil consumption issues were until I purchased the car and started doing some research. So, we are at present day and like I stated
I do not drive the car that much. I do burn 1qt every 1800 miles. I have heard horror stories of a QT every 500 miles. So, I am feeling good with this. I know the future can not be predicted but I see 2007's with this engine with over 300K miles on them.
So, do all the 2.4's have the issues?

Do these cars have any real value anymore? I paid 4K for it (3 years ago) because of the new clutch, tires brakes etc.. And it was in great shape. Do people see the 2.4 and just run for the hills?
I just do not know if I should try to get rid of the car at a loss or just drive it but do not want to start dumping quarts of oil in it next year and then have it have zero value.
Any thoughts would really be appreciated! I am really regrading the purchase but love the car.

Thank you

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-03-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:50 PM
SL Member

I had an xB but I see a 2007/2008 has almost the same Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of around $15,000

As such; I kinda get the impression that they are not highly valuable to start with. The tC also has to contend with only having 2 doors, so it is more niche.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:49 AM

Default Details oin the engine from Japan

Originally Posted by franky14
I have a 2007 tC which I purchased about 3 years ago. The history is this. Original motor blew (go figure oil consumption). My mechanic placed another 2.4 directly from Japan into the car. That motor had about 60K on it. The Scion has 120k total miles on it at that time and I have only put 9k on it over three years.
The clutch was replaced, brakes, tires etc.. I was informed that the 2.4's directly from Japan they were not as bad with the oil consumption issues. I was not fully aware of how bad the oil consumption issues were until I purchased the car and started doing some research. So, we are at present day and like I stated
I do not drive the car that much. I do burn 1qt every 1800 miles. I have heard horror stories of a QT every 500 miles. So, I am feeling good with this. I know the future can not be predicted but I see 2007's with this engine with over 300K miles on them.
So, do all the 2.4's have the issues?

Do these cars have any real value anymore? I paid 4K for it (3 years ago) because of the new clutch, tires brakes etc.. And it was in great shape. Do people see the 2.4 and just run for the hills?
I just do not know if I should try to get rid of the car at a loss or just drive it but do not want to start dumping quarts of oil in it next year and then have it have zero value.
Any thoughts would really be appreciated! I am really regrading the purchase but love the car.

Thank you

I may need an engine because car has 183,000 miles and is burning a quart every 500 miles. Would like to know how to get the engine from Japan, cost of the engine, and how much the mechanic charged to install. Thanks

Calvin
Old 03-16-2022, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

You could always check Edmunds, KBB or NADA for values although I have found they're not always up-to-date and with recent events who knows. The other option would be to check someone like Carmax or AutoNation and see what they might be willing to give you for the car as I think they'll do an estimate online. You'd at least have a general idea of what it might be worth...

A quick search shows quite a few going from between about $5,000 up to $6,000.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:28 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by cayoung145
I may need an engine because car has 183,000 miles and is burning a quart every 500 miles. Would like to know how to get the engine from Japan, cost of the engine, and how much the mechanic charged to install. Thanks

Calvin
Calvin,

I apologize on my delay in responding. I have all of the paperwork that I have to locate however this is from memory. I bought the car when the engine was put in it. Due to the oil burning the original engine blew up (ran out of oil). The mechanic is a friend of mine so he sold me the car once the engine was put in but provided the details. There is a company that sells these engines here in the US and they import them directly from Japan (I will see if I can find the name). The engines are guaranteed to be between 40K and 60K of miles on them. This one was roughly $1200. It took less then a day to have it installed and running. Keep in mind this "new" engine will still have the same oil burning issues however less miles and hopefully, will take a long time to get there. LEt me know if you have any other questions.