Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

5spd tC owners: ever get tired of shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 5spd tC owners: ever get tired of shifting?

ok, my AT SSM tC that I had placed an order on will be arriving wednesday. but i found SSM tC [5spd] at a different dealer. both base models with floor mats. The only difference is the tranny. i originally wanted a 5spd (and still do) but im gonna be keeping this car for more than 5 years (untill i finish college, im still in HS now). my biggest fear about the 5spd is that im gonna get tired of shifting after a few years and regret it, especially here in cali, theres a lot of traffic. I want a 5spd but i dont want to regret it in a year or so. never owned a 5spd before but ive drivien my friends 5spd civic and i think its fun.

so do u guys ever regret gatting a 5spd tC or ever get tired of shifting? need some comments so i can make my decision. thanks.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i think u answered your own question. I went from a 6speed to a AT. I dont regret it all at. Especially the hour ride back in traffic from the dealership.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know about the heavy traffic out there in Cali, but I've driven a 5 speed throughout high school and college and still love it. If I had to pick a downside to a manual tranny, if would probably be being stuck in a traffic jam. Overall, though, I say if you're a real driving enthusiast, a manual transmission is the way to go.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member

Im from the bay area and I remember all the shifting. It does get tiring but your still in HS. Youll enjoy manual when ur racing with your buddies. If your looking for a commuter route. Auto is fine. I did get tired of it and sold my ride. I am a bit older now, If I went for a sedan I would of went auto, but the Scion Tc was such a deal I went for 5spd. When I drive my odyssey it is so much easier to get around sinced its auto. I visited cali a few months ago, and it seemed pretty crowded.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get the tC in MT. Get a 2nd hand junk car in AUTO for the commute! Or a xA like me!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Emo
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my tC is my first car that is a 5spd and I love it... when I'm at work I can't wait to get out not because I want to go home, but the reason that I will be soon driving my car..lol

Am I tired from it? Not yet... I've had the car for about 1 month and it does seem a bit annoying in traffic but that is a SMALL price I would love to pay for all the other great things about it...

And another good thing, for some reason every girl that has seem my car, the FIRST thing they ask is if it's a manual or auto... and when I say manual, I get the same response: "ooooooo god.. I love manual cars" so there you go

-Emo
Old 04-05-2005, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member

Having driven manuals for the past 9 years, I can easily tell you that I still LOVE driving the 5 speed. I've driven 6 speeds and loved them, even in traffic. Its all about your personal preference. My girl friend is trying to preasure me into getting a slushbox so she can drive it, but I told her no good. I love having that level of control in my car.

No offense to auto drivers. But I honestly think for the convience that the auto tranny has brought to the driving world (what would my girl friend do with out it?), it has also made many drivers lazier. Its a lot easier to talk on your cell phone while driving an auto. I don't want to tell you how many lights I miss in traffic because people in autos are yacking away on their cell phones on the way home in traffic. The same could be said for the tools who drive a manual and stall...but I've rambled on for far too long.

If you don't like to work the clutch, then don't get a 5 speed. I love it. Hell, I've gotten so used to my crappy Saturn I have now, I can easily eek out 25-30 MPG IN town (no interstate, lots of stop and go). It was EPA rated at 22 back 12 years ago too.

Hell, all I'm saying is if you like to control your car, get a stick. If you feel that it will be too burdensome later on, like in heavy traffic, get an auto. Just make sure you enjoy driving your car, and that you look at it from the window and say "damn, I can't wait to get behind the wheel and drive!"
Old 04-05-2005, 10:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if ya gotta ask, then you should get the automatic. like another person said, the annoyance of being stuck in traffic is a small price to pay for the freedom and excitement of driving a manual.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: 5spd tC owners: ever get tired of shifting?

Originally Posted by tC_kevin
ok, my AT SSM tC that I had placed an order on will be arriving wednesday. but i found SSM tC [5spd] at a different dealer. both base models with floor mats. The only difference is the tranny. i originally wanted a 5spd (and still do) but im gonna be keeping this car for more than 5 years (untill i finish college, im still in HS now). my biggest fear about the 5spd is that im gonna get tired of shifting after a few years and regret it, especially here in cali, theres a lot of traffic. I want a 5spd but i dont want to regret it in a year or so. never owned a 5spd before but ive drivien my friends 5spd civic and i think its fun.

so do u guys ever regret gatting a 5spd tC or ever get tired of shifting? need some comments so i can make my decision. thanks.
I drive in minneapolis traffic every day in my 5 sp, doesnt bother me at all. Both of my cars are 5 spds...... and I am sure my next one will me :-) If you have driven them long, you dont even think about it (shifting) it just comes naturally.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member

I learned to drive an automatic but always wanted to learn to drive a manual shift which I am grateful for my cousin showing my sister and I how to. My first car was automatic but after I learned to drive a stick my next cars were manual shifts. My previous car was an automatic which bored me to death so when I bought the tC I went back to driving a stick again which has made driving enjoyable to me again. I have to admit though I try to avoid driving in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic because it does get annoying when you are barely moving to try to get going in first gear but then have to pop it back down to neutral because traffice stops again. Please remember you will be the one paying for the car and driving it so make a logical decision as to which type of transmission you want. Driving a manual is a lot of fun as you feel more in control of the car but if you plan on driving in a lot of bumper to bumper traffic you might want to think about an automatic because driiving a manual in those traffic situations can be a little frustrating. Good luck on your choice. Peace
Old 04-05-2005, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had my BSP 5speed for a month now. My first manual trans car by the way. I love it. So much more control. Traffic jams suck either way, but its not that bad. It might overwhelm you the first time but after a couple you'll be fine. I drive one hour to work every morning on the parkway, and it doesn't bother me one bit. As someone mentioned earlier iam going to get a second car, cheap oldie, and spank that to work everyday. So its really your choice.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member

I like shifting so much I wish the tC had 6 gears ... ok maybe I want to not run at 4000 rpm all the time, guess I should stay under 90 mph

I've been driving sticks since I got my first car in 96.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i never realy minded it till i had to go to an interview in chicago on the north side i wore dress shoes and it was about 1 hour to get there and 1 hour back by the time i got home my left calf was hurting alot and my ankles were all cut up from the back of the dress shoes

othere then that i love it ill just be sure to bring a change of shoes next time
Old 04-05-2005, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive bumper-to-bumper traffic 5 days a week for 18 miles each way (in dress shoes) and I still love my 5-speed. Driving the 5-speed is so much fun, especially when you're merging onto the highway and you downshift to 3rd a punch-it, put's a smile on my face every time. Said it before and I'll say it again, I love this car.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey man......ive been driving stick for the past two years.....im here in jersey and traffic is everywhere u go........i have to drive to work in heavy traffic...stop and go traffic and it sux.....but besides those times i love driving my 5 spd.........u have so much control when its a stick....but then again thats me.....in my opinion get a stick.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't get manual transmission for a few reasons. One I didn't want to spend the whole time shifting. I also think the automatic looks better, and I think the automatic set ups in cars make it look more luxurious.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go 5sp. you're not "commuting" unless you're going to community college, so you're not going to be doing the stop and go traffic for 2 hours a day going back and forth to work. anytime that I think I'm tired of having a 5sp, all it takes is one downshift from 5th to 3rd doing 50-55mph, take it up almost to redline before dumping into 4th and continue accellerating. wouldn't trade that feeling for all the ease/comfort in the world. I had an auto jeep for 5 years before this car (and a 5sp prelude before that), and there was no way in hell I was getting another automatic. maybe someday when i'm old, grey, and more interested in luxory and a soft plush seat than having fun driving I might go back to an auto, but that's not going to be for years to come... drive a 5sp, you'll understand.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5sp all the way.

Auto is boring... you will regret not getting it... The tC is a fun car... manual makes the drive much better!!!

I am so glad I got the 6sp RSX type S... I would have been so regretfull if I had not done it.

Also... I have driven in THICK chicago traffic... and the manual never bothered me.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Banned
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Emo
"ooooooo god.. I love manual cars"
Although I've never had a girl cream herself over the fact that my car is a 5-speed, I can tell you this.

You can't spin the tires all the way through 3rd with an Automatic.

And I'm not talking about "chirps."

Shifting will come natural to you and you will not even realize you're doing it.

-Z
Old 04-05-2005, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

personally, i hated my 5 speed when i first got it. i had never driven stick before, i was scared of it. i've had it for about 2 months now and i can drive it like an auto. i love it. it's a little annoying in traffic, but when the traffic clears, you can have some reason fun.
i drove my dads car the other day, it's an auto. it totally sucked, i was bored the whole time

Quick Reply: 5spd tC owners: ever get tired of shifting?