Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Aluminum or Plastic [heater control knob]? tC

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My **** is absolutely, positively, without a doubt aluminum.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zoltiz
Want another example of what a typo is in real world - I think in winter of '02 one of the toyota dealers in NJ ran an ad in a free local newspaper - a standard "$500 off any new vehicle purchase with this coupon". They forgot to mention that "only one coupon per vehicle". One smart dude got himself 80 of these newspapers, sat his family down with scisors, and had a stack big enough for a new Sequoia. The dealer of course told this dude to go play with himself when he saw a bag of coupons. The dude was smart and brought a lawyer. He left in a brand new Sequoia.
Well, not quite. Pick your state, name,etc.:

http://ron4president.com/ron-news/clipping-coupons.html

http://www.technoblog.com/index.php/...lla_good_deal/

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0301/18/as.00.html (scroll down to "CHRIS SHIELDS)

http://www.mtsusidelines.com/news/20...k-344475.shtml

In none of these does it say that the coupon clipper got the car.

George
Old 08-05-2004, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ask a question on www.scion.com

7pm thursday:

Michael: hi Mia
Mia: Hi Michael this is Mia
Mia: How may I assist you?
Michael: I am comming back to check on status
Michael: check on the Aluminim **** issue
Michael: any official word from Toyota on that?
Michael: the issue on the HEater **** on the tC
Mia: We should have more information tomorrow
Mia: We are working on it
Michael: ok great..glad to hear that.. talk to tomorrow then. thanks
Old 08-05-2004, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by madpb
Ask a question on www.scion.com

7pm thursday:

Michael: hi Mia
Mia: Hi Michael this is Mia
Michael: I am comming back to check on status
Michael: check on the Aluminim **** issue
Michael: any official word from Toyota on that?
Michael: the issue on the HEater **** on the tC
Mia: We should have more information tomorrow
Mia: We are working on it
Michael: ok great..glad to hear that.. talk to tomorrow then. thanks

ha! more information tomorrow my ___... what more information do they need? i bet anything they will say the same thing tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zoltiz
Want another example of what a typo is in real world - I think in winter of '02 one of the toyota dealers in NJ ran an ad in a free local newspaper - a standard "$500 off any new vehicle purchase with this coupon". They forgot to mention that "only one coupon per vehicle". One smart dude got himself 80 of these newspapers, sat his family down with scisors, and had a stack big enough for a new Sequoia. The dealer of course told this dude to go play with himself when he saw a bag of coupons. The dude was smart and brought a lawyer. He left in a brand new Sequoia.
A clever consumer earned a lifetime of free air travel by taking advantage of a Healthy Choice pudding promotion.
http://www.snopes.com/business/deals/pudding.asp

A store made good on its offer to sell stereos for "299 bananas" when customers proffered the fruit as payment.
http://www.snopes.com/business/deals/bananas.asp

These two companies actually made good on their offers, which I priase them for. The Sequoia man deserves his car because of false advertising. And the dealership can't complain that they're a small company since the stereo store in the second story was willing to accept "bananas" for his mistake.

Toyota is so huge they should make good on their advertisements instead of pushing us off to the side. I was VERY disappointed that there was no compass on the auto dimming as advertised. I was about to throw away $310 for something I thought I would get, and now everyone's spending $16,500 for something they THOUGHT they would get too.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dang! I think it took me 40min. to read all the posts .
Old 08-06-2004, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate to chime in as an xB owner, but while understanding everyone's concerns, I also think this is petty.
I can see how the "lying" can be upsetting, but to think that everything else on the car may be sub-par is redicilous. It IS just a ****, which works just the same no matter what it's made of. Fact is, I'd prefer the painted plastic to real aluminum when having a panoramic roof in the day time. It'd be just a matter of time before someone burned their hand,or a stupid kid put his tongue to it during the winter, and tried suing Scion.....like that moron lady suing McDonalds for actually getting hot coffee.

This is exactly the kind of crap that caused Scion to have low consumer ratings....a bunch of young high-expectation-havin' peeps _____ing about the things they don't like about their xA/xB, while overlooking all the positives.

This site was flooded with threads about how the tC "is like a Lexus" and before anyone had ever test-driven it everyone thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Well, the fact is, it's a $16k car, and will not be as quiet as an IS300, etc...
The only reasons people are complaining about the road noise is that they read a bunch of crap about how quiet it was, got their expectations up, and then they learned that the tC is not quite as quiet as the IS300. You wanna hear some road noise, drive an xB for a while...The tC's interior looks just as awesome as it would if the **** were made of styrofoam and coated in silver aluminum paint.

If you're hoping to receive $250 in the mail, slap yourself. I saw that on the Today Show a long time ago and that moron never got his Sequoia. You're not due any money 'cause the **** is a little different.

If this thread didn't exist, none of you would ever know the difference.

About the auto-dimming mirror not having a compass as advertised--that's a valid complaint that can actually be viewed as an inconvenience.

Just enjoy your cars, and quit _____in' about every little thing you don't like. You got a great car at a great price.

/end rant\
Old 08-06-2004, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I skimmed over all of this fun, so I may have missed it somewhere, but I remember being kind of irked when the rear seats of my xB didn't come out as advertised in the brochure! The dealer couldn't explain the change- either someone in the marketing dept. messed up or Toyota made a last minute change...
Either way, we just passed the one-year mark since we bought Boxzila, and I can say that I've only missed the removable rear seat once or twice...

At the same time, at least the Scion sales goon knew about the misprint, and I didn't find out the hard way about it... good luck with your battle, Tc owners!

-Phil
Old 08-06-2004, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My thoughts exactly. If the **** composition is the biggest problem you can find to devote this much attention to then you should probably GET A FUKIN JOB! If you already have a job, GET A FUKIN LIFE! If none of this works, I have a fool-proof 12-step plan to help overcome this problem, #1-11:shut the ____ up, #12: get over it! Happy motoring!~~~~~~~~~~~~~scott
Old 08-06-2004, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member

I was just joking about waiting for a check in the mail, I have more sense than that.

Even after reading about the road noise, the ****, the this, the that, I still plan on getting the car as soon as possible. It's a great car for a great price and I guess people are thinking if it seems to good to be true it must be and are looking for any and every fault now with the **** issue brought up. The fact is, they have fine print for things such as this. If you dislike such fine prints then don't bother getting said car.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JasonH
My **** is absolutely, positively, without a doubt aluminum.
Mine too...
Old 08-06-2004, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
If none of this works, I have a fool-proof 12-step plan to help overcome this problem, #1-11:shut the ____ up, #12: get over it!
That's hilarious, I think I'm stuck on step 3 though.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im stuck on step 11...
Old 08-06-2004, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by WagenMaster
This is exactly the kind of crap that caused Scion to have low consumer ratings....a bunch of young high-expectation-havin' peeps _____ing about the things they don't like about their xA/xB, while overlooking all the positives.
I agree whole-heartedly! If I were Toyota's execs, I'd be saying to myself, "WTF???? We did everything we could to build a car comparable to a $25,000 sport coupe, cut the price by 10,000, and this is the $@#^ we have to deal with? A control ****?"

-and yes folks, Toyota could have easily invested another $500.00 in this car. They could also have turned right around and sold it as an "entry level" Lexus. For about 25-30K. AND PEOPLE WOULD BE BUYING THEM JUST AS FAST!

So Val lay park your high horse! if a @#$%^&* control **** is that important to you, go and buy one, make one, get a different car.

If I ran the company, I’d just say F$%^ it. Can't make ‘em happy no matter what we do...let’s just drop the freaking thing

I'm now climbing off of my soapbox.
Thats it, I've washed my hands of this post. Its disgusting.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I could not care less what any of you think. I was promised what I was promised.
End of story!
If you are happy with paying for and promised aluminum and you like plastic instead..,. then shut up and f*ck off!! I see you reading and answering this thread so you need to go get a life!!

Here is the latest update for those who care:

Please wait for a Scion Customer Advocate to respond. You are number 1 in queue.
You are now chatting with Mia
Mike: HiMia.
Mia: Hi Mike, this is Mia
Mike: I spoke to you yesterday
Mike: Any update on the Aluminum **** issue?
Mia: Oh...welcome back
Mia: No we won;t have any information until probably this afternoon. They were going to have a meeting and discuss it last night.
Mia: So no word yet.
Mike: ok.. i will check back later..
Mike: thanks
Mia: Okay
Mia: You're welcome

Like i said , if you dont care.. dont respond or read this.. jeez.. Whats wrong with you people?
Old 08-06-2004, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This issue is probably what caused the latest JD Power survey to have the Scion near the bottom. Personally I don't think it is a big issue but glad that people (especially the Scion owners) want the very best out of their car purchase. It is the only way to make the car companies ensure their products are "good" and QC to the fullest......

I appreciate everyone who has chatted with Scion to make sure it doesn't slip under the rug.....

Kevin

Now if we can only get a TSB out on the creaking roof.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by madpb
I could not care less what any of you think. I was promised what I was promised.
End of story!
If you are happy with paying for and promised aluminum and you like plastic instead..,. then shut up and f*ck off!! I see you reading and answering this thread so you need to go get a life!!

Here is the latest update for those who care:

Please wait for a Scion Customer Advocate to respond. You are number 1 in queue.
You are now chatting with Mia
Mike: HiMia.
Mia: Hi Mike, this is Mia
Mike: I spoke to you yesterday
Mike: Any update on the Aluminum **** issue?
Mia: Oh...welcome back
Mia: No we won;t have any information until probably this afternoon. They were going to have a meeting and discuss it last night.
Mia: So no word yet.
Mike: ok.. i will check back later..
Mike: thanks
Mia: Okay
Mia: You're welcome

Like i said , if you dont care.. dont respond or read this.. jeez.. Whats wrong with you people?

AH HAAAA!! what did I say? it would be the same today, no new info. look back to my previous post.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member

It's amazing to me how they tell you they can change the web site if they wish and you guys say, ok, thanks, buh bye.

Get on there and raise HELL!!!

No, you are not satisfied. You want the **** you were promised. "When can I expect to receive the cast aluminum ****, Dave?"

"I can appreciate that the production of the car was changed, but I want the one I purchased - as advertised. When are you going to make me whole? You know, it's amazing to me how many people stop and ask me about this car, but all I can think to say is how Toyota deceived me into buying a product other than advertised. I imagine I'm over-reacting, but that's all I can think to say to them."

Now that will get their attention!
Old 08-06-2004, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member

It's amazing to me how they tell you they can change the web site if they wish and you guys say, ok, thanks, buh bye.

Get on there and raise HELL!!!

No, you are not satisfied. You want the **** you were promised. "When can I expect to receive the cast aluminum ****, Dave?"

"I can appreciate that the production of the car was changed, but I want the one I purchased - as advertised. When are you going to make me whole? You know, it's amazing to me how many people stop and ask me about this car, but all I can think to say is how Toyota deceived me into buying a product other than advertised. I imagine I'm over-reacting, but that's all I can think to say to them."

Now that will get their attention!
Old 08-06-2004, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

You guys got a contol ****?? all I was 2 ice cubes and a space heater that plugs into a 12v outlet. j/k. I'm more ____ed about the compass in the mirror, one of the reasons I got it, didn't know about the **** until I read this thread.

Quick Reply: Aluminum or Plastic [heater control knob]? tC