Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Aluminum or Plastic [heater control knob]? tC

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member

i know this is off topic from the AC ****, but i also bought the auto-dimming mirror because of its stated "compass" feature, i was very upset and frustrated when i was tryin to show my friends the expected "compass" to pop up in one of the corners of mirror. with that said....yes, i do agree with the argument that Scion has totally flaked on us for the mirror and the ****. i have yet to find out whether my **** is aluminum tonight, but i will support this fight till we get a F!@Kn answer.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the people buying the auto dimming because of the compass, I would take the scion web listing of the compass, take it back to your dealer and tell them you want a refund for an accessory that didn't have what the specs indicated. Tell them you want the stock mirror back and they can return the auto dimming one. Then go out and buy one with the compass feature.

Kevin
Old 08-07-2004, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I could of swore the answer was that the **** is overlayed with aluminum but made out of plastic. It doesn't seem like they are going to change their mind on this. What other cars in this price range, hell even withing 10,000 have an aluminum ****? I'm sure there are companies out there that can make a billet **** for the tc if everyone is dying to have one. Just relax people, its a scion, not a lexus....
Old 08-07-2004, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Sounds like a few fellas really need a girlfriend! If you're really homely there are rentals available. I'm just doing some research and was wondering how many of you guys have ever been to a Star Trek convention wearing a costume? Anyone go to the prom with a real live girl? (not your sister!) Your **** dysfunction is really funny. What are you going to do in life if you run into a REAL problem?
Old 08-07-2004, 03:02 AM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think misinformation and false advertising is a real problem.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:06 AM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wolfie_tc
I think some of the sound deadening didn't make the cut as well. All of the reviews pre-release talk about how quiet it is and "only thing this quiet is the Lexus IS300"

Now if you read the reviews the same thing keeps showing up in the complaint column, road noise.

I can't confirm the sound deadening thing, but I know this car isn't as quiet as a Lexus that is for sure.
the car is relatively quiet when you comparing wind noise to the IS300, but you're right in that there is alot of road noise. it may be mostly because of the tires... or maybe the car was heavy enough to put any more sound deadening into it. anyone ride the 350Z? to make itself a hardcore sports car, they re-defined "road noise"... no sound deadening whatsoever (or cushioning for that matter... the car gives a nice rush, but i feel my teeth rattling)
Old 08-07-2004, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member

I was trying to figure out this aluminum issue then eureka, I got the answer. Scion scrimped on the aluminum **** because they installed a Tire Pressure Monitoring system which is not even mentioned in scion.com. Maybe if we get the manufacturer to remove the TPMS, we can get the machined aluminum *****. I still like to think that scion are well meaning folks and did not intend to surprise me with the TPMS on delivery.

1manila
Old 08-07-2004, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just got my tc today and i checked the ****. its pure plastic. i also asked my sales rep. and he said it was plastic as well. oh well, as long as it doesn't break its all good :D
Old 08-07-2004, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member

Default aluminum cast a/c ****

all right yall this might help for yall who cant determine if ur **** is plastic or metal...if the night is a bit chilly and ur chillin readin forums at scionlife...stop, go outside and get in ur car. now from there feel any part of the interior that is plastic like the side of the middle mini compartment and then from there use the backside of your hands to touch the **** if its much colder than the one u touch before, its metal. im so happy mine tC has a metal ****. I feel for yall who has plastic. we all paid for this tC and pretty much some got f*cked over...

dex
Old 08-07-2004, 05:26 AM
5 Year Member

Default LMAO!

OKAY I JUST SPENT A BIT MORE TIME ON THIS THREAD AND HONESTLY EVERYONE SHOULD BE HAPPY ON THERE TC PURCHASE...I MEAN IT IS ONLY 16K FOR A BANGIN 2DOOR COUPE... well dont know what else to say but oh well...love my scion![/quote]
Old 08-07-2004, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder what one looks like?? ( not the plastic. one i have that)
OH,I love my tC. Its a great car , specially for the money. I got the 18" rims and the ground effects.

Lexus= rebadged Toyota. hmmm.... Scion=not a Toyota??

Old 08-07-2004, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fearturtle44
For the people buying the auto dimming because of the compass, I would take the scion web listing of the compass, take it back to your dealer and tell them you want a refund for an accessory that didn't have what the specs indicated. Tell them you want the stock mirror back and they can return the auto dimming one. Then go out and buy one with the compass feature.

Kevin
I was talking to the scion rep about this and he said that we probably won't be able to return it because it might be too late. He said that's why scion has all that legal disclaimer stuff on their website. They can have wrong information on their site and it's not their fault. Even though it was being advertised with a compass and it doesn't come with one, we can't blame them for that.

And anyway, knowing Toyota's service dept. they will probably charge an arm and a leg to get the aftermarket auto-dimming mirror with compass installed. So basically we are screwed.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
Sounds like a few fellas really need a girlfriend! If you're really homely there are rentals available. I'm just doing some research and was wondering how many of you guys have ever been to a Star Trek convention wearing a costume? Anyone go to the prom with a real live girl? (not your sister!) Your **** dysfunction is really funny. What are you going to do in life if you run into a REAL problem?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
apparently plastic ***** are a REAL PROBLEM! lol

Do you measure your bags of chips to make sure that they are a true 12 1/4 oz?
If its shorted by a quarter ounce, do you take it back and ask for a refund? If its a quarter ounce heavier, do you return and give them a few more pennies?

If you do, go ahead and pay your scion dealership an extra $200.00 for the tire pressure monitoring system that is NOT mentioned on the web page.
I'm sure they will find away to give you a cast-aluminum control ****.

to all those "lied" to by scion:
when at the local grocery store, and some one says, "paper or PLASTIC," does it make you mad? set you off? make you cry?
Old 08-08-2004, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member

lol if toyota had the ***** to try and change something that you see and interact with and hope you wouldn't notice imagine what they might have done to what you couldn't see. makes you wonder what grade of steel they have in those b pillars or if its even steel maybe the ac is all that good for a reason. and the creaking noises? in the glass roof. they cut alot of corners toyota fan boys may disagree, 17k is not cheap for a car it probably cost toyota 10k to make. they borrowed componets from cars already in production the engine and chasis, and then slapped on a glass roof. glass is cheaper then a metal roof f.y.i.
Its all about marketing making you believe that you are getting a great deal. when infact toyota is gonna make a nice profit and cutting removing that chunk of aluminium and using plastic the stuff soda bottles are made of saves them money. not to mention the cheaper labor over there.if they swapped it out for brass or some other metal it might be understandable but to just use plastic lmao. it doesn't even make 160hp as advertised. its all rub and shine the tC is just meant to look ok it's slow handles sluggishly and has many design flaws. oh and that hood gap looks terrible it was covered up at the shows because they realised how bad it looked and didn't want to dampen the hype that would reel in potential suckers. oh well you could have spent 18k on something alot worse. enjoy.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by greenranger
it doesn't even make 160hp as advertised.
No many car manufacturers list whp...they would never sell anything that way...I'm sure that it's around 160 at the fly.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

QUOTE: Do you measure your bags of chips to make sure that they are a true 12 1/4 oz?

The answer is YES because I paid $21,000 for that bag of chips.
Whats with all these stupid analagies? New car = chips???.

For those of you wont don't care , thats ok. Just please keep your remarks positive for those of us who do care.

Its not about the $$$ or the fuctionality.. its not about being petty, or obsessed. I love my tC. I am not returning the car because of this...its the fact that those of us who actually bought a car were promised this feature. Its in writing. Its on ALOT of other cars that were sold. So whats so big a deal about asking for what was promised.

I didnt mean to start a big issue out of this... all i did was to ask if anyone else out there got aluminum..to my surprise many of you did.

Would someone post a pic of an alumunim one,please?
Old 08-08-2004, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by madpb
QUOTE: Do you measure your bags of chips to make sure that they are a true 12 1/4 oz?

The answer is YES because I paid $21,000 for that bag of chips.
Whats with all these stupid analagies? New car = chips???.

For those of you wont don't care , thats ok. Just please keep your remarks positive for those of us who do care.

Its not about the $$$ or the fuctionality.. its not about being petty, or obsessed. I love my tC. I am not returning the car because of this...its the fact that those of us who actually bought a car were promised this feature. Its in writing. Its on ALOT of other cars that were sold. So whats so big a deal about asking for what was promised.

I didnt mean to start a big issue out of this... all i did was to ask if anyone else out there got aluminum..to my surprise many of you did.

Would someone post a pic of an alumunim one,please?
couldn't have said it better myself... and i'd have to agree the bag of potato chips to scion tC analogy was pretty bad
Old 08-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Banned
SL Member

Just for comparison:
Avensis

tC
Old 08-08-2004, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so wait is it the whole console thing or just the **** i'm confused now :?: :?: if it's the whole console that makes a huge difference now.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just the ****.

Quick Reply: Aluminum or Plastic [heater control knob]? tC