2005-2010 [ANT10]

beware.. new sunroof problem seems to have arisen

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default beware.. new sunroof problem seems to have arisen

just noticed the other day that my car likes to whistle now. no, really it does. for some reason the sunroof glass doesn't appear to be closing completely- there's about 2 milimeters of space between the slab of glass and the track.. not enough to really be noticeable when looking at the car, but enough to make a loud whistling noise when driving at any speed over 5 mph. i'll be taking it to the dealer this week to see what's up.

just wanted to give everyone a head's up in case this happens to you.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hopefully your problem will fix itself before you have to take it in. Who knows, it might just be the cold weather causing it to act up.

/derail - You have a PM. Enjoy.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had this same problem. Took it to the dealer three times, to no avail. I then called scion and they spoke with the dealer. I took the car in, and they took it to a sunroof place. The wistling did improve, but is still there. Also, my sunroof shade doesnt go back automatically, which they say is normal, but i know its not.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zhenya
I had this same problem. Took it to the dealer three times, to no avail. I then called scion and they spoke with the dealer. I took the car in, and they took it to a sunroof place. The wistling did improve, but is still there. Also, my sunroof shade doesnt go back automatically, which they say is normal, but i know its not.
If you open your sunroof w/ the shade closed it should "automatically" open w/ the roof (snap backward and closed). Your shade doesn't do this?...weird.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zhenya

great.. so it can't be fixed? b/c the noise is driving me nuts...
Old 02-28-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was made much better - but you have to make sure that if the dealer doesnt fix it from the first time (which I dont expect them to) to promptly call Scion to get on their ___. The other thing about my sunroof is, I can lift it with a pinky from the outside by about 1cm. They also told me that its normal, can anyone confirm that? The whole shade thing doesnt really ____ me off, bcs I always keep it open anyway.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, I will thanks. I doubt it's normal because I've had the car since July now and the noise just started last week.. that's just Scion's standard-issue response for a problem they have no solution to. "That? Oh yeah sure. That's normal."
Old 02-28-2005, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you take it to dealer, just don't drop off. Have the service person ride with you so you both agree on the problem.

Good luck.

Kevin
Old 02-28-2005, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tension is not normal on your sunroof for it to be able to move up if you pull up on it.. that is NOT normal... call scion.. this dealer is an idiot..
Old 02-28-2005, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

duct tape.... lots of tuct tape
Old 02-28-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you can go to a different dealer, if not satisfied. My case is a little hard. The dealer I go to, is only 10 mins away from work, so its convenient for me to drop off the car in the morning and pick it up after work, if it wasnt for that, I would go to a different one
Old 02-28-2005, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My shade hacts up a little too...some times it zips open when opening the sunroof lke it should and other times it slowly goes back with the sunroof as it opens...Its most likely a spring or the roller that it winds on. Nothing a little WD-40 couldn't fix I'm sure.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member

Does anyone happen to have this Scion customer service phone number?

My Silver Streak Mica tC, has started to do the same thing. Except it seems that my car starts to whistle, once i exceed speeds of 55 mph. I don't know what to do, since my car is an 05, and it has expunged the factory warranty. However, i did purchase an extended warranty when i bought the car, raising my warranty to 100,000 miles.

But of course when i went to the dealer today they told me that my extended warranty might not cover it. So, after i left the dealer, i went home and called the warranty company 'Fidelity'.

The guy i talked to told me that if the roof leaks, and has to do with the seal, then it would not be covered; since that would be a body repair issue. however, if it is due to the automatic motor that controls the roof opening and closing, and if the motor needs replacing, that would be covered.

Now here comes the fine print. The guy i signed the papers with before i took keys to the car, forgot to mention that there would be a deductible included the extended warranty. Who the hell does this? So, now not only is the inspection going to cost me $99 from the dealer, and another $100 for the deductible for anything replaced? WTF.

If anyone knows what i should do, don't hesitate to leave a comment. I'm thinking about canceling the appointment i have setup form tomorrow afternoon.