2005-2010 [ANT10]

Calling all tC owners...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

Default Calling all tC owners...

Hey Guys & Gals,

I'm currently in the market for a new car, and I'm thinking an 06 5spd tC is it. I'm test driving one tonight, but before I get some dealer trying to push what could be junk on me, I wanted to tap this community and see what's up. For the past three years I've been driving an 03 Pontiac Grand Am GT/SCT, a beast of a car with a powerful V6. I wrecked it recently, and unforntunately it's a goner. So, I'm looking for a new car that's got speed and pick up, looks good, is reliable, and overall is easy on the gas (the GA got 280 miles to a tank, and that was high octane).

So what's up with the tC? I like the look of it, especially with this kit, and the commericials for the car make it look pretty awesome. But looks ain't everything. I've seen posts about rattles and creaks, are they still in the 06s?
How about electronics issues?
Any mechanical issues?
How does this car handle?
How's the pick up?
When you're at 80mph does the car still feel like it has more to give? (I've seen posts about 130mph, but I know I really had to push my GA after 105mph to top off at 125mph)
How is the car in the rain?
How is it in the snow?
Does the car end up feeling as cheap as it costs, or do you 05 owners still feel like the car's worth at least double it's price?
Hey all you tall guys: I'm 6'5", how comfortable is the car for us?
I'm getting the radio controls steering wheel with the iPod HU. Anyone else have this setup? How well does the steering wheel controls work with the iPod?
All in all how do you feel about the car?

That's about all I can think of right now. If there's something I should consider but didn't ask about it, please share. I appreciate any input you guys have to give!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

Default Re: Calling all t owners...

Originally Posted by illpacin0
I've seen posts about rattles and creaks, are they still in the 06s?
-Yes, I'm sure.. but it is pretty rare if that. I haven't had any in my '06. They were all pretty rare.

-None, that weren't aftermaket caused.

Any mechanical issues?
-None that I've had, nor that I've heard of.. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong

-I love how it handles, but I'm not into auto-x so I'm probably not the best judge

How's the pick up?
-Could be better, but thats what I'm working on. (oh, and I drive an automatic)

When you're at 80mph does the car still feel like it has more to give? (I've seen posts about 130mph, but I know I really had to push my GA after 105mph to top off
at 125mph)
-I feel the best pick up is in the high-end. it's not a fast car, but it's fast enough.

-Just fine, stock tires aren't the best, but I'm yet to have any problems.

How is it in the snow?
-Haven't had one during the winter yet, but again it may just be an issue of the stock tires.

Does the car end up feeling as cheap as it costs, or do you 05 owners still feel like
the car's worth at least double it's price?
-Great deal for the money. I spent almost a year and a half researching my next car, and well I ended up buying a tC. '05 owners may be better equipped to answer this.

-I'm only 5'10", there could be enough room, but it would be best to see for your self.

I'm getting the radio controls steering wheel with the iPod HU. Anyone else have this
setup?
-Nope, didn't have stock radio for more then a few hours.

How well does the steering wheel controls work with the iPod?
-don't know, never had an Ipod

- I couldn't be hapier, I do know that many people have buyers regret towards their car.. however I don't think it is that big of an issue if you have researched the car and what else is on the market BEFORE you buy the car.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Yes.. you ll find rattles issues but thats what happened when you buy a hatchback. It will be hit or miss. Some people get it, some people dont. Some dealers can fix it, some dont. No electrical issue. No mechanical issues. It handles pretty well I think. The wheel base is pretty long for a hatch back. I think the handling is average. The car can go 100+ no problem. When I go 100 it still feels like im driving 65mphs. The car in the rain? Depend on what stock tires you get from the dealer. I got yokohamas and they are pretty darn good. In the snow? I just drove mine in the snow, it feels like any other fwd cars. I might buy extra set of wheels and buy performance winter tires. The car feels like it is $30,000. It is worthed. I am 6'0, my spiky hair sometimes touch the top of the car. You got to test drive it and see. The seat sits pretty low so... the radio control on the steering is standard on 06. BUY THE CAR!
Old 11-16-2005, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

Originally Posted by schwettynuts
the radio control on the steering is standard on 06
Really? That's a damn big plus. Thanks for the posts guys, keep them coming!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: Calling all tC owners...

~I have an 05 and the creaks and rattles are very minimal. Usually only going over rough road.

~Haven't encountered any. The only thing I can think of is when I have an RF Modulator plugged in to the cigarette lighter, there is a very SLIGHT rpm whine through the speakers.

Any mechanical issues?
~Haven't encountered any

~Like its on rails. Granted, I have a RS 1.0 with the wider sticky tires and the strut bar, but this thing WON'T slide at all. I have taken clover-leafs stupid-fast just to see if the thing will squeal and it won't. I am very impressed with the handling.

How's the pick up?
~Teriffic, very torquey(sp?) car. The only bad thing is that going down the interstate has my rpm gauge at 3000+rpms. Could use a 6th gear, but even going down the interstate gets me great mileage.

When you're at 80mph does the car still feel like it has more to give? (I've seen
posts about 130mph, but I know I really had to push my GA after 105mph to top off at 125mph)
~The car is limited to 127. It pulls pretty good up to 105-110 before it slows down. Plus, it handles great at those speeds. 110 in the tC feels like you are going 80.

~Tires spin a little bit on "spirited" takeoffs, but nothing too bad. Tires bite hard during braking.

How is it in the snow?
~I encountered my first snow last night. I was EXTREMELY impressed with how it handled. The roads were a mixture of snow on top of slush on top of ice and I had a VERY minimal amount of sliding. The only time I did slide was when I was trying to get the car to slide. During cautious snow driving, the car handled exceptionally well. This is by far, the best two wheel drive car in the snow that I have ever driven.

Does the car end up feeling as cheap as it costs, or do you 05 owners still feel like
the car's worth at least double it's price?
~The car feels like a little sports car. Especially with the tight suspention. The shifting is very crisp and quick. The tC is without a doubt worth every penny I paid for it.

~I am shorter than you but I have heard that if you adjust the seat down and open up the inside sunroof cover, tall people can drive it comfortably.

I'm getting the radio controls steering wheel with the iPod HU. Anyone else have this setup?
~Nope, I have the 05

~See above

~I love it. A sporty car for an economy price. It is a real head turner and get lots of questions about it. Like I said earlier in my post, this car is worth every penny. Plus, you would get to hang out and talk/brag about your car with all of the other Scion owners on these forums. Good luck with whatever you go with (hopefully it is a Scion though )
Old 11-16-2005, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi,
I have an 05' with almost 30,000 miles now! I think I may have the most miles of anyone on here!
Anyways...
Electronic issues - none yet, the only thing I do not like is the electronic speed limit at 127, but that is normal for most cars.
Mechanical issues - only 1 so far with the back right rotor/brake, don't know what was wrong, but the dealership replaced it.
How does it handle - It handles great! Could use an LSD, which is in the works right now!
How does it pick up - It is very torquey! It picks up great, it does have one flaw though and that is that its first and second gear are extremely short. I am in third gear shortly after leaving any intersection! There is one fix already for this and that is swapping out for a camry gear box(a direct fit replacement), and a few others in the works.
When you're at 80mph does the car still feel like it has more to give? (I've seen posts about 130mph, but I know I really had to push my GA after 105mph to top off at 125mph) - I have not had mine up to 127 yet, but have not felt it struggling all the way up to about 110. So I would assume it has the potential for much higher speeds( assuming you removed the electronic limitation)!
How is it in the snow?
- I had mine over the winter and I am in the DC area so lots of rain and have not slipped or spun yet.
Does the car end up feeling as cheap as it costs, or do you 05 owners still feel like the car's worth at least double it's price? - I wouldn't say double, but I think it is still worht what I payed! It is a cheap car, so you cannot expect what you would get in a ferrari, and yes the interior does rattle. But if you read on these forums there are ways to fix it. As far as everything else I would still buy a tC again. It is worth the money even with the flaws it has. It could have been worse for the price, but it is not which makes it a good buy!

I am only 5'11" so I could not tell you how it feels being that tall, I can tell you with the seat all the way back I can barely reach the pedals.
And I have an 05' model which does not come with the ipod or the steering wheel controls, so I know nothing about them!

All in all, I love this car. It is cheap and a few things could be improved, but like I said before you cannot buy an $18,000 car and expect a $50-$100,000 car.
I would definetly buy this car again. It has tremendas performance potential as well as a great daily driver. It is very light and has high torque for it's class!

Hope that helped a little!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an '05 and have very little rattling, a sunroof rattle that they have a TSB for but I'm too lazy to get it fixed (maybe I'll get it done the same time as the recall).
None
Any mechanical issues?
None
I feel it handles pretty good for a car of its weight, stickier tires will help.
How's the pick up?
When you're at 80mph does the car still feel like it has more to give? (I've seen posts about 130mph, but I know I really had to push my GA after 105mph to top off at 125mph)
I came from a '99 GA GT V6 and the tC is faster! For a car with only 160HP at 2900lbs, it accelerates damn good if you get the 5-speed. Although not fast, it's damn quick. 5th gear acceleration is really good.
Decent but with stickier tires would be even better.
How is it in the snow?
I've driven worse but again, needs better tires.
Does the car end up feeling as cheap as it costs, or do you 05 owners still feel like the car's worth at least double it's price?
The car does feel like it's worth more than it's price. I've had the car almost a year and driving it still puts a smile on my face.
I'm 6'5" also and have no fitment issues at all. Fits me like a glove.
I'm getting the radio controls steering wheel with the iPod HU. Anyone else have this setup? How well does the steering wheel controls work with the iPod?
No comment, I have an '05.
Absolutely love it, but I must warn you, you are going to want to mod this car. I was bitten by the mod bug when I bought this car and can't wait for my next upgrade. It's an addiction worse than crack!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't for sure compare exactly to your '03 GA GT, my girl has a '02 GA SE with just the 2.2 in it. But I have driven several V6 GA over the years. I have an '06 tC 5-speed with only 3500 miles so far.

Things you will like -

- Tourqe - The tC has plenty of tourqe which you are used to having with the V6.
- Quiet - The tC is almost as quiet as a GA. I tad more engine noise on the highway.
- Mileage - Should be roughly the same as with your GA.
--- How did you only get 280 miles per tank?? That is less than 20mpg?
--- All city maybe? You should have gotten around 30mpg on the highway?
--- Either way, I have been getting 28mpg out of my tC on mostly highway.

-- nothing yet
Any mechanical issues?
-- nothing yet
-- decent, very nice ride yet still decent cornering.
How's the pick up?
-- Easy to drive around town since it has so much tourqe down low.
-- Fairly quick to get up to speed.
-- Doesn't require a downshift to pass on highway
-- the engine is doing 3000 RPMs at 65mph
When you're at 80mph does the car still feel like it has more to give?
-- peepy as can be in 5th
-- engine is doing close to 4000 RPMs
How is it in the snow?
-- wish I knew
-- doesn't feel as cheap as it costs
-- interior is nice, very comfy
-- Depends if you sit straight up or pimp out.
-- I had a friend who was over 6' and he had to keep his head up by the sunroof
-- Not sure you will fit truthfully, but check it out.
I'm getting the radio controls steering wheel with the iPod HU. Anyone else have this setup?
-- Only buck up for that HU if you really want that integration.
-- Steering wheel controls are standard.
-- You could also order the HU from elsewhere for half the cost and install it yourself.
-- can't tell ya
-- Previous car was a Cavalier, and obviously the tC is much much nicer.
-- Only complaint so far? It doesn't get over 30mpg.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2006 5-speed here, which I've had since mid June (almost 10,000 miles ago)
Seems pretty hit or miss. I had the dreaded hatch rattle, but I fixed it a couple weeks ago with some foam padding in the trunk latch
How about electronics issues? Nope
Any mechanical issues? Nope
How does this car handle? It rolls a bit in tight corners, but for normal driving, it's not bad at all.
How's the pick up? Compared to the 94 Civic it replaced, pretty damn good. Compared to your previous V6... well, you'll see on your test drive.
When you're at 80mph does the car still feel like it has more to give? There some areas around here with 75mph speed limits. In those, I've had it up to 90 before really realizing it...
How is the car in the rain? About average - though I would advise Rain-X
How is it in the snow? I'll let you know in a couple weeks
Hey all you tall guys: I'm 6'5", how comfortable is the car for us? I'm 6'1" and have plenty of room to spare...
All 06s get the steering wheel controls. The controls themselves are very basic: Vol up, Vol down, forward, backward, and mode.
Mode jumps between bands on the radio, and cycles through radio, cd, aux, etc
Forward and backward are somewhat dependant on the mode the stereo is in. In radio mode, they hop presets. For CDs and ipods, they jump between tracks. For anything more complicated than that, you still need to use the HU itself.
I put this review together some time ago for another site, but you might find it useful
http://schester10.home.comcast.net/tC/ipod/

All in all how do you feel about the car? 5 months, 10K miles, and I still love it. The Nautical Blue is a pain to keep clean, but it looks great when it is.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an 05 that I got last December. I am having some major sunroof issues. I have been to 2 dealerships and neither have been of any help. I am bringing it back for the third time tomorrow where I have demanded they pull the sunroof apart and either fix it or install a new one. I also have a rattle in the back that they are going to try and resolve. The said they will pull down the ceiling and do whatever they can. I am starting to hate the car.....might have to do the lemon law with it which is unfortunate cause I loved it when I first got it. :?
Old 11-16-2005, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess it is all what you are willing to put up with. Or willing to sacrafice for the price!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an 05 with 37000 miles and there are rattles and creaks. Not always present and not bad.
None
Any mechanical issues?
None
Depends on what you're comparing it to. It's better than alot of the regular cars and on par with most sport compacts on the streets.
How's the pick up?
Very nicely. Good low end torque and you get more power at 4000 RPM.
Still going after 105mph. Never really reached 125mph.
Good, considering that the tires are the major factor here
How is it in the snow?
Never driven it in snow
It's worth about $20K and it does not feel cheap at all.
N/A
N/A
It's the best-valued car for its price. It has fancy features that usually end up in more expensive cars or you have to pay extra for. Panoramic roof, sde mirror turn signals, 17inch wheels and tires, and the 06 has iPod HU. It's not the best performer, but combine the sportiness and features it comes with, the tC is a very attractive buy.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

Originally Posted by Jackass
I can't for sure compare exactly to your '03 GA GT, my girl has a '02 GA SE with just the 2.2 in it. But I have driven several V6 GA over the years. I have an '06 tC 5-speed with only 3500 miles so far.

Things you will like -

- Tourqe - The tC has plenty of tourqe which you are used to having with the V6.
- Quiet - The tC is almost as quiet as a GA. I tad more engine noise on the highway.
- Mileage - Should be roughly the same as with your GA.
--- How did you only get 280 miles per tank?? That is less than 20mpg?
--- All city maybe? You should have gotten around 30mpg on the highway?
--- Either way, I have been getting 28mpg out of my tC on mostly highway.
I'm so glad I was able to come across someone with GA experience, albeit a 2.2 SE. The V6 GT with the SCT option is a hell of a car. The fastest I've ever owned and personally driven, and faced little opposition on the road (spanked twice by a GTI an a 350z, I was asking for those though). The car sucked up a lot of gas, and never got great mileage except on long trips with the cruise control. The first day I had it the tank was empty after 110 miles, but after I filled it with the highest octane it averaged 280 miles. I think it was mostly due to how I drive, which is usually as fast as I feel safe with. It was a powerful car that was quick to accelerate (0-60 in 5.5 with no mods), so I tended to make full use of that. I'm sad to see it go, it was the fastest stock Grand Am ever produced, and they only made them during the last two years of the Grand Am so there weren't many out there.

I'm really excited about the tC and I can't wait to drive one tonight. I appreciate everyone's input and help, and I'll let you know how it goes. If I get one I'm definitely going to be pimping it. That Kaminari kit is too sweet to not put on the car, and the demon eye headlights are also a must. I just hope I don't get one of the rattlers!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn I had a '99 GA GT V6 (see above, 0-60 in 7.6) but that was before the SCT upgrades. I thought the SCT upgrades were just a hood and spoiler, they did performance upgrades? I loved the car until I wrapped it around a pole
Old 11-16-2005, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
Damn I had a '99 GA GT V6 (see above, 0-60 in 7.6) but that was before the SCT upgrades. I thought the SCT upgrades were just a hood and spoiler, they did performance upgrades? I loved the car until I wrapped it around a pole
There was changes in engine configuration between the GT and the SCT that ended in a difference of 15 or 20 hp if I remember correctly. Doesn't seem like a lot, but when I lined mine up against my friend's 04 GT I left him sitting at the line and he never caught up. They were both auto trannies too. I wish I would've gotten that in manual transmission.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am 6'6" and I have no troubles. - I'd answer the rest but it looks like everyone else has it covered.

Oh one more thing I have an 06 with no rattles or any other sounds.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 2 05's and one popped (sunroof) more than the other initially, but it seems to have gone away (or i got better at ignoring it). Consumer reports gave it the worst rating for creaks/rattles and such, but pretty much excellent everywhere else.

Hey, this isn't a NISSAN! j/k please don't run me off the road with your sentras.

Any mechanical issues?

Aftermarket sway bar installations seem to be tricky. Stock stuff, no problems.

The glass roof does add weight up high, so if you do something stupid expect to possibly go for a ride. Even bone stock. Otherwise it handles fine. If you get the Potenzas then you have to be a little more careful in the rain (dry ain't that great either).

How's the pick up?

Both of mine have auto, and if you take off and keep it around 2.5k rpm then you are going faster than most normal folk. It pulls hard from 3.5-4.5k. After 5k the engine just makes noise IMO. Stock airbox may be partially to blame for that but if you change it you lose a little low end torque. Manual tranny is geared real short so 1st and 2nd aren't that useful, and you only have 5 gears so it slightly buzzes the engine at freeway speeds, auto has more conventional ratios.

When you're at 80mph does the car still feel like it has more to give?

It's easy to fly past 80 if you aren't looking at the speedo. Auto pulls good till past 100, haven't gone much past that but after 5k, I feel it doesn't do anything anyway.

With potenzas = CRAP. Drive like your grandma until you get the feel for the limits on the RE92's. They aren't very high either... ;P

How is it in the snow?

Doesn't snow here.

Not double, but more than $17 for sure! Maybe low-mid 20's? ;P

I'm 5'9" and I need the sunroof shade open otherwise it feels tight. So tint the sunroof and leave the shades open.

That's an 06 thing. I just burn mp3 cds and put em in the stock changer.

They are great. Practical (the rear cargo space with seats down is good), good on gas (if i keep it under 3k i get 30+ mpg), it takes regular gas, tons of standard features for the price.

Paint quality is crap, though. I got the full paint protection film kit ($500 installed) on one (bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors) and partial ($250 installed) (all minus bumper) on the other one. Get front mudflaps, they will save you from scratches on the rear quarter panels. Get the rear bumper applique. Get them all online, not your dealer.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
There was changes in engine configuration between the GT and the SCT that ended in a difference of 15 or 20 hp if I remember correctly. Doesn't seem like a lot, but when I lined mine up against my friend's 04 GT I left him sitting at the line and he never caught up. They were both auto trannies too. I wish I would've gotten that in manual transmission.
The stock GT 3.4L/12-valve engine has 175HP/205TQ and did a 7.6sec 0-60. I can't find anything about a higher output engine for the '99-'05 generation Grand Am's anywhere and I've checked MSN and Edmunds. Got any links?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last I heard about the SCT, it was mostly appearance mods and may have picked up 5hp from the different hood. Maybe. What made the GA GT nice is that it was a very nice highway crusier since it has lots of tourqe and is geared tall when in OD. I don't know about the 5.5 0-60, but they are nice to drive. You def drove the ____ out of it to be getting the milage you got.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Love my car. Nuff said.

Quick Reply: Calling all tC owners...