Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

common problem, common solution? (clutch slipping)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default common problem, common solution? (clutch slipping)

well, around 12-13K on my xA, and my clutch slips in third gear on all but the hottest of days..

i can guarantee you this is not on account of my driving. i baby the clutch when taking off, always low RPM, quick engagement starts.

i have read all posts regarding this problem, however, my question is this...

1. will the dealer most likely try and turn me away because clutches are normal wear&tear parts? if so, i will waste absolutely NO time with them.

2. if the dealer DOES accept this as a problem and offers to replace my clutch, what is the point of putting in a new OEM clutch, with KNOWN problems of slipping under load? i'd be back in soon, without a stronger pressure plate etc.

3. Exedy makes a street clutch for a very very reasonable price ($147 from speedyperformanceparts.com ) for the echo. i've read this will work. anyone install the exedy clutch? opinions? i don't want to get it in and find out it's close to stock anyway. i'd be doing the clutch swap myself, so labor is not an issue.

if anyone has any thoughts, relavent information or experiences, and would like to give their word, please do..

in the end i think i'll go to the dealer and see what they can do for me. .
Old 12-22-2004, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My clutch was on its way out @ 8k.. now @ 11k its dead, but around 8.5k, I turbo'ed so that didn't help.

But like I said, it was crapping out before... slipping sometimes... really made me angry.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:54 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

Mine went out at 8k but I drive my car harder than anyone else cuz I hate this POS...but I went to the Spec st.2 setup and just cause I got bored I went with the TRD upgrade which sucks major ___ compared to Spec. Never bothered with exedy but they are a good company.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:57 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

Oh...and I took mine to Toyota and they gave me the run around saying it was my driving and isn't covered.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by showpaojoe
Mine went out at 8k but I drive my car harder than anyone else cuz I hate this POS.
Then why are you on this board?
Old 12-22-2004, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

cause he's stuck w/ the car....its a good gas saver....CMON JOE LETS GET THE NEW CAR GOING =)
Old 12-22-2004, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by quadoptix
cause he's stuck w/ the car....its a good gas saver....CMON JOE LETS GET THE NEW CAR GOING =)
Dam joe, has much hate for the box! Hey Joe when are you gonna roll that thing so the insurance will buy you a new one?

Old 12-22-2004, 06:27 PM
Banned
SL Member

no good advice? typical....
Old 12-22-2004, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CivicEater
no good advice? typical....
Advice is, your clutch went. Surprise, Toyota has poorly engineered clutches!!! Buy a SPEC Stage 3, and never have to upgrade.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

Originally Posted by UnFocused
Don't worry man, your ignorance is a gift...the gift that leads me to my soon goodbye taking away most knowledge that you couldn't even dream of.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:19 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

1. The dealer told me they don't expect clutch returns until around 25k miles...since I brought mine in at 8k...they blamed me and said they wouldn't do anything but they also said I would have gotten 1 free change.

2. The point is you don't know if there is a problem with the stock clutch, and because of that fact, if they offer a FREE replacement anyway, just take it and see how long that lasts you again...then you WILL knowif there is a prolbem and then can make your decision on a better clucth...plus- what is the status of your engine mods and do you plan on going further or getting another stock clutch cuz you're engine will relatively stay the same?

3. I don't believe I have seen anyone using an Exedy cluct...you would have to go on the echo nboards for their opinion...but I do know there are quite a few of us using the Spec clutch and we all have the same opinion...spend a little more money and you won't complain.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnFocused
Don't worry man, your ignorance is a gift...the gift that leads me to my soon goodbye taking away most knowledge that you couldn't even dream of.

Hmmmm,... Im offended! Ignorance? Last time I checked showpaojoe your the one who has attemted to created a 108 HP BOX into a ride straight out of "the fast and the furious" !! then you wonder why the dealership LAUGHS at you when you have ran the ____ out of it!!- and expect them to fix it!!!--- HELLO any clutch will show significant wear if to treat it like you stole it!- And judging from your mods- Im sure you havent kept it under the speed limit the whole time!

GOODBYE!!
Old 12-23-2004, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off your clutch problems probably are your fault. A clutch will last 100k+ nowadays when driven properly. I realize you think you drive correctly, but so does everyone. No one thinks they drive incorrectly, because if they did then they would stop driving incorrectly. Toyota, along with every other car maker in the world, is not going to cover a fried clutch with 8000 miles on it.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very well put!
Old 12-23-2004, 09:25 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by pmscion
First off your clutch problems probably are your fault. A clutch will last 100k+ nowadays when driven properly. I realize you think you drive correctly, but so does everyone. No one thinks they drive incorrectly, because if they did then they would stop driving incorrectly. Toyota, along with every other car maker in the world, is not going to cover a fried clutch with 8000 miles on it.
i have driven 5speed cars all my life, with the exact driving style i use now, with no problems. over 75K on my 2002 corolla and clutch was good as new when i sold it. over 40K on my MR2, same story, and over 30K on my old corolla..

i'd say i treat the clutch "correctly"

should a stock clutch on a stock engine start slipping simply because i full throttle in third gear on occasion?

no. the clutch is weak. i'm sure i could make this clutch last to 75,000 miles, if i babied it, but that's not the point. the point is, it's a weak spot in the car's mechanical setup.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

"And judging from your mods- Im sure you havent kept it under the speed limit the whole time"

first off...you don't know how many times I've changed my scion

and secondly...SO WHAT...anyone who has driven with me knows I don't like the car and I have 12 other cars that I own to mess around with. This is just an experimental car. Plus, EVERYONE will tell you just how truly bad I treat my car and I NEVER drive slower than 100mph when I have the chance cuz if I die...I'd rather take out as many others as I can and have fun doing it.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

go with a spec clutch-at least a stage II, I ran one on a 12-13 second aftermarket turbo'd car for over 2 years, and abused the hell outta it at the track and never had any problems--broke the shifter cables, but never dammaged the clutch. Plus they have a great warranty.

as far as the stock clutch-I know they use the same tranny and clutch from a camery in the TC...and they seem to be pretty reliable under "normal" driving condidtions.
as far as the XA Im not sure what they used...maybe the corolla set-up? In any case, NO clutch should be bombing at 8K-30K...hell clutches these days, no matter what brand, no matter how driven(assuming you can get from stop to go), should bomb out at less than 50K or so(with really bad clutch skills)
Old 12-25-2004, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"And judging from your mods- Im sure you havent kept it under the speed limit the whole time"

and secondly...SO WHAT...anyone who has driven with me knows I don't like the car and I have 12 other cars that I own to mess around with. This is just an experimental car. Plus, EVERYONE will tell you just how truly bad I treat my car and I NEVER drive slower than 100mph when I have the chance cuz if I die...I'd rather take out as many others as I can and have fun doing it.
People like you make me lose faith in humanity.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i couldn't agree more. :twisted: when i die i'm going down in a blaze of glory and taking as many other _______s with me as i can