Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Descendant Turbo Automatic tC Update!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by World-Racing
Jotech can install and tune our Turbo Kits. We will drop ship directly to you or to them.

PM Sent. Thanks!

Thank you!

How long do you plan on driving your car prior to installing the turbo kit? That would play a big factor on which parts you buy now and which ones you buy after the installation.

The header wouldn't be considered a supporting mod because you would be removing it as soon as you installed the turbo kit. The turbo kit uses a custom exhaust manifold.

The Descendant Cold Air Intake system wouldn't be considered a supporting item either, however it's an easy sell and will give you some decent power combined with the exhaust. It comes in WRINKLE BLACK and POLISHED

Our Descendant 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust is a supporting mod that you can use with an NA or FI setup. This part is in stock.

Last but not least is the Descendant 2.5" S-Pipe, which makes the exhaust system a complete catback system. This item is also compatible with the Descendant Turbo Kit

Let us know if you have any questions!
Sorry havent been on in a while my car is my day to day so its more of when i can get the cash for the kit haha. But someone have asked this already fut is your kit ready to install on a stock motor? Because i was considering Dezods kit for the reason their kit comes with everything needed. And those mods you suggested were ones i already had planned on getting thank you for the confirming that for me i appreciate it.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:25 PM

so where do I purchase the turbo?
Old 02-08-2022, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

eh??? turbo are commodity item like oil-filters, everyone has them.
https://www.maperformance.com/produc...-hp-super-core

Critical part is optimum programming of standalone EFI on dyno.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:27 PM

thats a link to just a turbo? not a kit?
Old 02-08-2022, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2clean_tC
thats a link to just a turbo? not a kit?
There aren't any 'kits' available anymore. You're looking a full custom for this nowadays.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:37 PM

I figured. Do you know where I could look at or where I should go to look into that?
Old 02-08-2022, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2clean_tC
I figured. Do you know where I could look at or where I should go to look into that?
Was thinking this was for the 2g from your name and the company posted in the thread and you posting in the other thread in the 2g section. Either way, a speed shop in your area would be a good place to start. Most of the pieces will be universal, but the turbo manifold will be engine specific. After that, you'll need custom tuning so you don't explode the motor and trans. Orange Virus offers a tuning suite for this platform now IIRC (or soon), but if not you'll have to grab a standalone controller and have that tuned. I'd ballpark around $8-10k with decent parts + dyno time.

The 1g kit Danno linked in the other thread might work out if they make more. The manifold design looks meh to me, but it would work if it's the only option and you're dead-set on turboing this platform.

Last edited by drizzoh; 02-08-2022 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:11 PM

Thank you so much, this really helps.

And that's another thing that I was wondering. Could I put a first gen kit on a second gen. Aren't they very similar?
Old 02-09-2022, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No. Different engines. Manifold isn't compatible.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:56 PM

Is the manifold the only difference in the kits? Like could I get a kit and then just custom fabricate headers?
Old 02-17-2022, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're able to custom-fabricate turbo-header for 2AR-FE engine, you can assemble and build your own turbo kit! In amount of time you've spent searching internet and posting exact same questions all over the place, you could've done some learning and answered your own questions. Here's an outfit that can make custom turbo-manifold for you: https://www.fathousefab.com/fabricat...stom-manifolds

As mentioned before, getting all the parts is easy, just 5% of the effort. Here's guide to turbocharging Toyota's legendary 4A-GE: Yoshimitsuspeed's guide to turboing the 4A-GE | Matrix Garage Note: The tuning tools and using them to dial in optimal fuel & ignition maps are most important. I 2nd his recommendation to get wideband-O2 installed 1st on stock engine to get used to using for datalogging and analysing recordings.

How to turbocharging 2AR:
https://motoiq.com/nerds-eye-view-in...toyota-engine/
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/18...-drift-engine/

First thing that needs doing is replacing engine innards with forged pistons and con-rods. Factory compression is too high for boosting and you'll have to run low-boost for minor gains. My goal, for all effort involved, is minimum double factory power. Make gains worthwhile for work involved. Here's some pistons & con-rods:

https://www.racetep.com/manufacturer...e-9-1-kit.html
https://molnarrods.com/toyota-2ar-fe-connecting-rods

While you have engine apart, you'll want to address most important part of build that causes many turbocharged engine to fail: proper oil-drain. Since it's zero-pressure after turbo, you'll want short, straight and direct drain into oil-pan above oil-level.

You'll want 0.5" hose minimum (many turbo kits come with 3/8" drain, way too small!). Porsche used 1" hose on their turbo drain.

Don't forget to do your air-flow calculations based upon power-output in order to pick proper turbo size. Learn how to plot flow-path for your own engine. There's many outfits selling "turbo kits" with +500bhp turbos for factory 150bhp engines. Unless you run 30psi boost, you'll never get that power-output and flow through turbo's efficiency island. This next turbo's obviously too large.

This one's too small

These are just right for small & large engines!

Based upon those calculations, you'll size your exhaust and intake plumbing accordingly. Do you need 2.5" or 3.0" or 4.0" exhaust? On one build, I needed 600cfm flow, so I made appropriate air-filter. This was only arrangement that flowed enough and fit on car.

As mentioned before, proper fuel & ignition maps are most important. Flashing kits for factory ECU are expensive and have limited ability due to re-using factory unit that was never designed for turbocharging. Better to use aftermarket standalone programmable ECU, much better value for money due to extra features like electronic boost-control, datalogging, auto-tune with wideband-O2, etc. Best to install this on engine before adding turbo, so you'll learn how to adjust to basic factory parameters.

All this is necessary so you won't get an engine that blows up in less than week.

You have A LOT to learn to get this done. Sooner you learn what's necessary, sooner you'll have completed turbo car. Which can take a year or more. So, I suggest getting 2nd-car for driving around while yours is up on blocks on front lawn. This is less than 1% of what I can write about turbocharging. Why though? When others have done such good job of writing this stuff down. If only you can learn, you'll get it done in no time. Here's reading list again (linked to Amazon for your convenience):

<b>Maximum Boost</b> Maximum Boost
- Bell 1987 Bentley
<b>McLaren-Honda Turbo: A Technical Appraisal</b> McLaren-Honda Turbo: A Technical Appraisal
- Bamsey 1990
<b>Turbo</b> Turbo
- Miller 2008
<b>Turbochargers</b> Turbochargers
- MacInnes 1984
<b>Street Turbocharging</b> Street Turbocharging
- Warner 2006 HP-books
<b>Forced Induction Performance Tuning - A Practical guide</b> Forced Induction Performance Tuning - A Practical guide
- Bell 2003 Haynes
<b>Performance Tuning Theory & Practice - Four Strokes</b> Performance Tuning Theory & Practice - Four Strokes
- Bell 1981 Haynes
<b>Tune & Modify Automotive Engine Management Systems</b> Tune & Modify Automotive Engine Management Systems
- Hartman 2004 MBI Publishing

<b>Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals</b> Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals
- Heywood 1988 McGraw-Hill
<b>Engineering Fundamentals of Internal Combustion Engine</b> Engineering Fundamentals of Internal Combustion Engine
- Pulkrabek 2003 Prentice Hall
<b>Flow and Combustion in Reciprocating Engines</b> Flow and Combustion in Reciprocating Engines
- Springer, Arcoumanis, Kaminoto 2009 Verlag Berlin Heideberg

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 02-20-2022 at 11:58 PM.