2005-2010 [ANT10]

engine/tranny loud crack when wheels hop

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default engine/tranny loud crack when wheels hop

ok, it's happened everytime i have attempted to spin the tires. i have a 5speed with stock tires. whenever it's wet outside, it seems that instead of the wheels spinning, they hop. however, when they hop, i hear this loud crack noise from under the hood about 3/4 of a second into the wheel hop spin.

what is this? is this the engine slamming against something?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

My guess is your suspension mounts normally absorbing the force.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had that happen in my tc,. The car has good low end power, so it spins out easy, on wet roads. Just try hitting the gas a little lighter next time.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm new to driving a stick, how exactly do you spin out? do you just let the clutch out real fast and gas normally?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:24 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: engine/tranny loud crack when wheels hop

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
ok, it's happened everytime i have attempted to spin the tires. i have a 5speed with stock tires. whenever it's wet outside, it seems that instead of the wheels spinning, they hop. however, when they hop, i hear this loud crack noise from under the hood about 3/4 of a second into the wheel hop spin.

ATTENTION: You have a front wheel drive car.

The sound you are hearing is the cash register at the dealership when you blow up your CV joints by acting 2Fast and 2Furious.

There is no "cool" way to lay wheel in a front wheel drive car, so stop trying unless you want to damage your car and then argue with Toyota when they don't believe you that the half-shaft snapped when you were driving gently down the street like a little old lady.

Doing my best not to flame you here, but this is pretty stupid man. I suggest you stop and find a different way to enjoy your car, OK?

Old 03-01-2005, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

soo...burnouts and doing anything more than my grandma would is a no no? that sucks, oh well, i'll take your suggestion, i have bad luck so i figure something bad would happen. thanks
Old 03-01-2005, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awwww
Old 03-01-2005, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i saw a vid of a camaro that thought he was doing a burn out but he was burning out his clutch hahaha
Old 03-01-2005, 07:22 AM
Banned
SL Member

soo...burnouts and doing anything more than my grandma would is a no no? that sucks, oh well, i'll take your suggestion, i have bad luck so i figure something bad would happen. thanks

Well, you can't do a proper burnout with a FWD. Sure, you can fill the wheel wells with smoke with enough power and any traction assist disabled, theoretically....and some people do that.

However, (in my opinion) its not a smart idea. Even if the idea of subjecting your halfshafts, CV joints, clutch and the rest to abuse way beyond what it is designed for doesn't trouble you---- you don't even get the reward of a nice clean burnout.

RWD burnouts are relatively harmless (except to your tires) and you get that nice clean peel and sideways movement. With a FWD all you get is torque feedback through the steering wheel and disturbing noises from your poor drivetrain being tortured while the car shudders like a crack addict.

Up to you, but be warned that dealers aren't stupid and they can recognize the signs of abuse and could deny you warranty coverage on any damage you incur over time doing that kind of crap.

Up to you.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would you want to tear up your tires and look like a foolish kid out of highschool? only time i burn out is when i launch wrong at the track
Old 03-01-2005, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I go to the doctor and I say "Hey doc! It hurts when I do this!" So he looks at me, and he says "Well, don't do that!"
Old 03-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Banned
SL Member

That's the perfect analogy for this.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Rion

ATTENTION: You have a front wheel drive car.

The sound you are hearing is the cash register at the dealership when you blow up your CV joints by acting 2Fast and 2Furious.

There is no "cool" way to lay wheel in a front wheel drive car, so stop trying unless you want to damage your car and then argue with Toyota when they don't believe you that the half-shaft snapped when you were driving gently down the street like a little old lady.

Doing my best not to flame you here, but this is pretty stupid man. I suggest you stop and find a different way to enjoy your car, OK?

rofl yeah, that about sums it up. i knew a kid that broke his axle doing that