2005-2010 [ANT10]

freeway and local

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default freeway and local

what rpm you keep on freeway and on local to be most fuel efficient?

i go 50 in local and about 80 on freeway and i can go like 320 if i stretch the tank
Old 11-27-2004, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have a 200 mile trip to get to my girlfriend.

Usually the temp outside this time of year allows me to not use a/c and I am able to get 29.99 mpg. I love it!

My avg speed is about 65 I'd say. The most fuel effecient speed is supposed to be 60 or so I believe.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Most fuel efficient speed is supposed to be 55mph. Every 10mph above that your fuel efficiency goes down 10%.. or so I've read somewhere.

I go about 40 on side streets, 60 on main streets, 80-85 on the highway... Yeah I speed :shrug:
Old 11-27-2004, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The best advice for local isn't necceasrily speed, but rather just take it easy on accecelerating... also, if you see a red light in front of you let off the gas... even if it's 100 yrds away. I drive like this (with the occasional giddy-up) and manage to pull off 27-28 mpg.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i came up with a theory on how to save gas. i came up with it when i unbolted my exhaust.

when you accelerate, the exhaust gets loud, but when you let go of the gas and the car is being slowed down by gears, its still loud but not as loud, but if you maintain speed and accelerate really slow, the tone of the exhaust is VERY low or isnt there.

the theory is this. maintaining speed actually saves more gas than anything else.

if you dont believe me, heres my explanation.

if you accelerate, air is being pushed into your engine and out of your engine, more flow through the exhaust = louder. (more air needs more gas to burn)

jus efficient about of air will make no sound or very low sound.

make sense? it does to me
Old 11-27-2004, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how many miles do u guys have on ur car? im still breaking in my car i have filled up twice well three times actually cuz i got a full tank from the dealer with 12 miles on the car my first fill up was at 273 with 1/4 tank left so i only got about 22 mpg and i drive on the highway alot, i was pretty dissapointed, my next fill up was at 566, and i filled up wen the fuel light came on so pretty much i used all of my tank so i am calculating it was about 24 mpg, these are all hw miles so i dunno, is it because i havnt broken in my car yet? will i get more as i go along?
Old 11-27-2004, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member

I average about 23-24mpg with daily driving, approx 50 miles daily 50% freeway. I have a heavy foot. I average 70 mph on freeway and I like to accelerate. I went to Las Vegas from San Diego with 28.5 mpg average.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm putting lots of miles on my car. I drive to school, to work, to my girlfriend's place. None of the three are nearby. I drive bout half on the freeway and half in stop and go traffic (damn northern virginia!) I'm real easy on the accelorator (at least i try to be), and i've been averaging right at 27.3 mpg.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
i came up with a theory on how to save gas. i came up with it when i unbolted my exhaust.

when you accelerate, the exhaust gets loud, but when you let go of the gas and the car is being slowed down by gears, its still loud but not as loud, but if you maintain speed and accelerate really slow, the tone of the exhaust is VERY low or isnt there.

the theory is this. maintaining speed actually saves more gas than anything else.

if you accelerate, air is being pushed into your engine and out of your engine, more flow through the exhaust = louder. (more air needs more gas to burn)

your exhaust is louder under heavy throttle because it has a variable valve. it stays closed under easy driving to keep noise levels down.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maintaining a steady speed and getting up to speed quickly will net you the most gas mileage.

From Google groups (usenet):
BMW did a study some years ago where they measured fuel economy using either the "grandma" method of slow gradual acceleration or using acceleration at full throttle. What they found was a substantial improvement (10-20% I believe it was) for always using a quick 2/3 throttle acceleration up to speed and then level off at your cruising speed. Most engines are more efficient at wider throttle openings than at small part throttle. And always putting the pedal to the floor is also inefficient.
I've heard that skipping 2nd and 4th gear when you shift can also help. Can anyone else confirm/deny?
Old 11-29-2004, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by cad455
Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy

your exhaust is louder under heavy throttle because it has a variable valve. it stays closed under easy driving to keep noise levels down.

k that maks sense.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow exorbadent, your theory is so revolutionary and unique. I'm sure no one else has come close to that.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i get a lil under 3000rpm when i hit 60 on 5th gear..is that too high?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive too fast. If you're interested in mpg, *don't* get a roof rack and lug a bike (or two) around. Averaged 23mpg on my last road trip at about 75mph and a bike on the roof. Eh, oh well. :?
Old 12-04-2004, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member

I just recently drove from D.C to Boston Mass. and back (about 1200 miles) and averaged about 370 miles per fill up. Of course I find myself rarely ever getting into fifth gear. Most of the time I'll just cruise in fourth because I just dig the throttle response.

Unfortunately a huge rock managed to fly off the road and put a nice dent in my drivers door.

DOH!
Old 12-04-2004, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i agree with dante, i drive entirely too fast to care about mpg. when i drive from NJ to MD (which i have to do about once a month or everyother month) i prolly have an average speed of 90 - 95 mph. and thats only because my trucks fuel cut off is 96. i'v made the trip in 2 and a half hours. when my tc comes in i'll have to see if i can do it faster.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by sportmaned
how many miles do u guys have on ur car? im still breaking in my car i have filled up twice well three times actually cuz i got a full tank from the dealer with 12 miles on the car my first fill up was at 273 with 1/4 tank left so i only got about 22 mpg and i drive on the highway alot, i was pretty dissapointed, my next fill up was at 566, and i filled up wen the fuel light came on so pretty much i used all of my tank so i am calculating it was about 24 mpg, these are all hw miles so i dunno, is it because i havnt broken in my car yet? will i get more as i go along?
i got about 4800 in only about a month and a half....im averaging about 330 for a tank...im filling it up with the mid grade(89)....i do alot of highway driving