2005-2010 [ANT10]

front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default front license plate

does the tc come with mounting holes for the front plates? i didn't recall seeing any at the test drive and i won't know for sure until i pick up my car tonight. i'd hate to drill holes into the bumper.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

it doesn't have mounting holes, but it does have pre-made divits in the front bumper where the self-tapping screws go for the plate, I'm in Maryland and front plates are requred - I'd put the plate there anyways, even if you have to put holes there, there's already divits in the bumper anyways so it doesn't look flush in the first place.

If the front bumper was flush stock I would never drill holes in it, I would've clipped it to my lower grill, but since it's not flush, don't worry about it - find a pic of a front bumper without a plate and you'll know what I'm talking about - I think Bluebox's hot white tC doesn't have a front plate.... and I'm sure a lot of tC's pics show it without one
Old 12-20-2004, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it possible to cut the top and bottom of the plate a bit and fit it in the black grill section?
Old 12-20-2004, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if that would earn a ticket. I would think altering a license plate would be illegal. Of course, the cop would have to notice it and if it were a tiny bit smaller...
Old 12-20-2004, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

as long as you have the expiration stickers on your rear plate and you don't modify the lettering at all and it's clearly visible I don't see how it could be a problem at all, especially since it's your front plate, I had a lot of conversations with different officers about the front plate before I got my car and they said the main reasons for a front plate is so if someone steals your plate, they have to steal the front and back to match, and they can see your plate no matter which side they are of your car.

an awesome mod would be to drill(or fabricate without drilling) a few white LED's in your front bumper shining down onto your trimmed license plate in the bottom grill, so not only would it look badass infront of your grille, but it'd be illuminated so any tucking or placement wouldn't matter because it would be MORE visible than other people's front plates.

but you're still going to have the two divits in your bumper, and they really don't look too good to me
Old 12-20-2004, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

get eight08customs license plate bracket, it mounts the plate to the lower grill section. http://www.eight08customs.com/products.html and he has a post in the sponsored section..kits also sell on ebay
Old 12-21-2004, 01:03 AM
Bam
5 Year Member

Physically altering your license plate in anyway is illegal in almost all, if not every single state.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any evident physical alteration to your plate in NV is illegal and the plates my be confiscated. I have seen this happen for chopped plates, louvered (sp?) plates, and altered (painted, holes in them, etc.) plates. Some states may be a bit more lenient, but here they are fair strict if they see it.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member

Front Plate?? Bahhh!!

I told the dealership I would refuse delivery if they even thought to put two holes in my front bumper for a plate. Granted its the law in CT, but I just hate the way they look.

Needless to say, no front plate (or holes) on my car. Now I just have to make sure to avoid those DUI checkpoints. They always make a habit of 'looking over' the car instead of just the driver at those things. I support DUI checkpoints, but please, leave my car out of it, this isn't inspection, just make sure I'm not drunk.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by CTTC
Front Plate?? Bahhh!!

I told the dealership I would refuse delivery if they even thought to put two holes in my front bumper for a plate. Granted its the law in CT, but I just hate the way they look.

Needless to say, no front plate (or holes) on my car. Now I just have to make sure to avoid those DUI checkpoints. They always make a habit of 'looking over' the car instead of just the driver at those things. I support DUI checkpoints, but please, leave my car out of it, this isn't inspection, just make sure I'm not drunk.
here here!
Old 12-21-2004, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank goodness I don't have to have a front liscence plate. I think it is ridiculous to have two liscence plates on one car.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dealer didnt make any holes when i picked it up.
when i went to get my license plates, asked them not to put one on the front.
didnt put the front one ever since and had no problem so far.
no tickets, no warnings

by the way, i live in maryland.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what i hate worse than two license plates are those stupid stickers that people make you put on your car. they never come off easily and they're usually some obnoxious color. i have three different ones right now. they suck.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

what are you referring to? safety check stickers? if so, they come off pretty easy with a razor blade and can be put on brackets. (this is in hawaii, dunno bout everywhere else)