Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Getting a new car: 2008 Scion tC vs 2007 Honda Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:23 PM
SL Member

Default Getting a new car: 2008 Scion tC vs 2007 Honda Civic EX

Alright heres the story. I'm 17 years old, heading into my Senior year at school and looking to buy my first car. My parents and I have narrowed it down between the Civic and the Scion. We know the basics pretty much, with Scion being cheaper, but my dad is leaning towards the Civic becasue it has better gas mileage. I like the Scion much better because of how it looks, customobility, everything about it lol. I know maybe this won't be the best place for a unbiased answer, but I came here to ask you guys why the tC is better than the EX or the other way around.

Thanks!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-28-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They 2 differnt type of cars!...lol...

now if u were talking a 07 SI...then I be saying there are Numerous threads about it!!

Depends on what u want!...

Civic EX is smaller w/ a smaller engine....

vs. tC is Bigger w/ a Bigger engine and more Options for the price!

Really up to you...Go test drive each!!

Hope that helps!!
Old 07-19-2007, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just a FYI in regards to the fuel mileage ratings: the window sticker on the 2008 tC reflects the new EPA 2008 standards, the sticker on the 2007 Civic is showing the old EPA numbers http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/
Old 07-20-2007, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

tC is a more fun car to drive imo. Faster helps too.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:21 AM
OhioScions
SL Member

plus tC looks ____ing sexy lowered
Old 07-20-2007, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd say the tC, both cars are similar in size, both look good (obviously I think the tC looks better), and both are quality cars overall.
However...
Civic - 1.5L - HP=140; Torque=128
tC - 2.4L - HP=161; Torque-163

Civic EX base $18,710
tC base $18,420
*these are automatic prices, not sure which transmission you want*

As far as the gas thing, it's not like the tC is a gas guzzler. Another plus for the tC that's been mentioned is how customizable it is, makes it even more fun.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Whoa

Wait dude if your buying your first car then by a Festiva. Hottest cars on the planet. Trust me. Price is way below the killer 18 grand youll be dishing out for a TC or Civic.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

i recently purchased the 08tC.........I compared the EX and the tC........drove them both.
EX is very generic inside and out......standard options did not compete to tC.
Crappy stock rims and tires on EX and small inside the EX......power was non existant.......reminded me of my KIA.......Try getting people into the back seat of an EX and it is a mess..........it is a good girl car..........no offense intended ladies.......

Now a good comparision is the SI to the tC............

I drove it too........very close cars.......SI was a little faster......not as much as you would beleive it to be.........same basic options stock.......but it was spendier...........side by side they are very closely designed..........nearly same body lines and window lines.......I bought the tC because it was just a better deal,more aftermarket,better looking,roomier( you can fit a lot of stuff inthis little car......)and to be honest the Scion owners are just plain cooler to old fat guys like me..............
Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like he said if you want to be cool hop in the Scion train youll be glad you did.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I had it down between the tC and civic ex when buying my car. It was without a doubt the tC, the civic ex felt sooo slow. The outside appearence wasnt impressive, the interior was nice and gas milage was good as well. Civc ex vs tC, tC FTW...vs the si I may lean towards the si.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont come to SCIONLIFE and ask if a honda is better than the tC. even though it is true that the tC spanks that EX in every way possible – regardless, no one here will tell you to get that EX. the Si is a different comparison, obviously. but id still rather have a tC than an Si – i agree with BZinn1
Old 07-20-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly they are both good cars and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

What I like about the scion are some of the little things. Such as the auto up and down of both windows, the huge sun roof, the 17" stock wheels, ability to choose my options individually.

Here is one small thing that you may have overlooked is that it is to put a radio in a 06+ civic there is a big dash kit that costs around $60 and it replaces the whole area around the radio and ac controls and doesn't look that great. Lets be honest you are most likely going to replace the radio so you might want to swing by a car audio place and take a look at that kit.

Anyways good luck with your decision.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by moosey
I'd say the tC, both cars are similar in size, both look good (obviously I think the tC looks better), and both are quality cars overall.
However...

Civic EX base $18,710
tC base $18,420

As far as the gas thing, it's not like the tC is a gas guzzler. Another plus for the tC that's been mentioned is how customizable it is, makes it even more fun.
Size...Not really!!

tC - 106 inch wheel base - wider than the civic too!

EX civic - 103 inch wheel base
Old 07-20-2007, 02:10 AM
Aik
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if it helps, i was deciding between the 07 civic EX and the 07 TC when i bought my car. they didn't change much at all with the 08 TC from the 07-- the grille, tailights, HU, and speakers are a little different afaik. the 08 is a bit more expensive too, you might want to check out an 07 if you can find one locally. some people don't really like the new grille or tails (me included) so it's a good idea.

imo the honda handled better than the TC and had a lot better visibility. i liked the digital speedometer on the top. but the power in the TC versus the civic was like night and day. the civic just wasnt that much fun to drive. the interior accents in the TC i felt were better. outside, i also think the TC looks better than the civic. my roommate is 6ft tall and after riding in back of both cars he said he enjoyed the TC better. also the stock alloy wheels on the TC are nicer.

those things combined with the fact that i could get the TC for about 2 grand less made my decision pretty easy. the honda is still a great little car, it definitely gets better gas mileage. that's the price you pay for more power, though. overall i think the scion is more car for the money.

btw the Si is a different class of car. i dont really know why people compare it to a stock tc, imo i'd compare it to maybe a supercharged tc or something. anyways have fun with what you choose.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing that caught my attention to Scion is that you get more for the money. You get standard everything as to an Civic, you would have to equiment it and it will cost more in the end.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeeCizzle
Originally Posted by moosey
However...

Civic EX base $18,710
tC base $18,420

Size...Not really!!

tC - 106 inch wheel base - wider than the civic too!

EX civic - 103 inch wheel base
I said they're similar..
Civic width: 68.9in - Length: 174.8in
Scion width: 69.1in - Length 174in
According to the websites, the wheelbase is exactly 2in longer on the Scion.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Oh yeah I forgot about the power everything on the tC..............and the great roof.........the tC also does seem to have a big blind spot on the drivers side and the pillars.......but I was able to get used to it.
Both cars are gonna be reliable.....hey Honda and Toyota/Scion.....the best on the market in imports.....

The tC.......it pulls at like from a dead stop or a roll like a mule..........that is what I like best...........I don't need to go 120 MPH anymore.........it will goto 120 and fairly easy too..........don't tell the wife..........which really is never needed on the street......especially for a 17 year old kid........remember drive slow and pick up all the pretty chicks that want to cruise........goto track and trash on your car........trust me........been there done that........

Also........all the Acura/Honda guys like my tC and my wife keeps getting numbers from 20 year old guys left on the car now.............which leaves me free to drink more beer........ j/k
Old 07-20-2007, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You won't be able to have as fun in the Civic
The TC is a great car and i have fun driving it everyday
It's also nice to hace torque
haha
Old 07-20-2007, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll regret not having decent low-end torque like you get with the tC.

Even if you were getting a Si, I would still recommend the tC, since they're both the same in terms of quickness (the tC is actually quicker, though). However, the Si would probably win in a handling competition versus a stock tC.

Regardless, just go for what best fits your wallet. Both are very reliable cars. Also, you can get much better MPG in the tC than it says on the sticker (assuming you are getting a 5-speed and not the automatic).
Old 07-20-2007, 03:59 AM
SL Member

^^^are u serious. the tC is not faster then the Si. Stock vs. Stock the Si is in a different league. Its up there the GTI. the tC is very comparable to the civic ex, rabbit, 2.5 impreza, cobalt( not the ss).

but as far as which car u want they are both good cars. you will be happy with either one. the only thing i hate about the tC is the rattles and no tiptronic. But besides that im pretty happy with the tC. Dont get the impression that its a fast car because its not. U will be disappointed if u think that when u get the car if u do. if u are looking for that go in the used direction and get a bettter car. I was in the same boat as u but i was stuck between the tC and the rabbit. Im still deciding if i made a mistake with the tC. I see rabbits on the road and i alwasy stop and stare becasue that car has a lot of potential and i love euro cars. But go test drive the cars u like and sleep on it. dont jump the gun and buy it on the spot. think about it.

Quick Reply: Getting a new car: 2008 Scion tC vs 2007 Honda Civic EX