2005-2010 [ANT10]

Glass sucks too....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Glass sucks too....

Ok, we've all heard about or experienced paint problems. I know I have.

Anyone else have any glass problems? Must also be extremely cheap. I have had my tC for just about 6 months with just over 5000 miles and I have probably 6 noticable pits on my windshield. They aren't really big, but it always looks like you got crap on your window. Also, both of my side windows have some very unattractive vertical scratches that are somewhat deep. Granted, we still have a good amount of dirt on the roads still, but I don't ride anybodys ___ and I keep my car pretty clean. Do I now need to vacuum around my windows before I roll them down? Is this "soft" glass? I love my car, but it seems to be falling apart on me. My 93 MX-3 had no problems like these the 4 years I owned it..... and this was a MILD winter.

Just want to know if this a problem with anyone else...... cuz it sucks.....
Old 04-01-2005, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All automotive glass must meet a certain standard, so I highly doubt there's some inherent flaw in the glass Toyota is using.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pretty ____ty standard then.....
Old 04-01-2005, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like you're just having a bad experience. Don't paint the whole car company with that brush just on account of your experiences, because there are 100 people who have great experiences with their car, me being one of them.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And how long have you had your tC?

Good to know 100 people have a no-problem ride....

And if you've been reading any of the posts on here for the whole month you've been a member, you'd see that it's not just me with a "bad experience." That brush has been passed around quite a bit.....
Old 04-01-2005, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about you break your car in and then get back to me.... 200 miles doesn't really back up your statements
Old 04-01-2005, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MesSCIah
How about you break your car in and then get back to me.... 200 miles doesn't really back up your statements
No need to get all personal. My statement still stands -- it sounds like you've had a bad experience and you're trying to blast the whole company for using cheap materials. I have been lurking around (and have known people with Scions) long enough to know their experiences, and they were happy ones. Just as it is with any car related forum, you'll hear more complaints than kudos, people don't openly praise their vehicles very often but they'll always let you know when they've had a bad experience.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I've had my TC for about 2 months and already put over 5,000 miles on it; and I haven't any problem with the glass. Now, I drive on the freeway five days a week going to work which is about 50 miles one way. And I am always in a hurry so I tend to be pretty agressive on the road. I have had a bit of paint chipping, but no glass problems.

I wish I could help you out with your problem, but until others start saying the same thing, I am going to assume it is a unique circumstance.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the dealer car, 15k miles on it. So believe me it has had the ____ beat out of it, and i still beat the ____ out of it...
The only problem I've had is that the abs cuts for no reason at high rpm and the sunroof rattle (which is fixable).
Old 04-01-2005, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5,700 miles here and not a single chip in any glass, couple little paints chips but nothing a little touch-up can't handle. Still love my car and won't trade for anything ('cept maybe an Evo MR, shh don't tell anyone).
Old 04-01-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Had mine since october, 10,000 miles on it approximately. That includes two 1200 mile road trips. I have had rocks hit the windshield hard enough that I expected a HUGE pit, with no mark at all. So I would say that the glass is as good as any other car I have owned. At least the windshield. Havent had anything hit the others so i dont know about them. The other day a gravel truck (untarped... grr) showered me with gravel going about 60 mph. It struck all over the front of the car, some large enough that it shattered my fog light. The only other mark I could find was a tiny (and I mean tiny) mark in the hood. So small that you have to be right on it to see. So I think it holds up ok.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

San Jose, Fort Worth, Las Vegas....hmmm, what do all of these have in common? When was the last time your roads were plowed/sanded? I did state that we have dirt on the streets still. Jmiller is probably the only one who MIGHT have this problem. My fault for posting this in General Discussion. I'll keep that in mind next time I have a winter related problem.....

Glass is not indestructable. I know that. I shouldn't have window length scratches from opening it when I decide to....

And Dub, this forum would be pretty small and boring if we never had any problems. Wait until YOU have one....... and you will have one....or two...
Old 04-01-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

San Jose, Fort Worth, Las Vegas....hmmm, what do all of these have in common? When was the last time your roads were plowed/sanded? I did state that we have dirt on the streets still. Jmiller is probably the only one who MIGHT have this problem. My fault for posting this in General Discussion. I'll keep that in mind next time I have a winter related problem.....

Glass is not indestructable. I know that. I shouldn't have window length scratches from opening it when I decide to....

And Dub, this forum would be pretty small and boring if we never had any problems. Wait until YOU have one....... and you will have one....or two...
umm my tC with 10,000 miles and NO glass damage is in Minneapolis... we get plenty of snow, sand, plowing and salt.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well what do you think the desert is made out of? Water? This whole place is dusty and sandy, we constantly have it in the air. Due to the amount of construction we have here, there is constantly gravel trucks on almost every city street in Vegas. Having lived in a state with plenty of snow for 19 years, I've experienced my fair share of sanded/gravelled roads and still never had those experiences with other cars which undoubtedly had less adequate auto glass.

Once again, no need to make this some personal issue, and as I said before, my original statement still stands. After all the replies, it appears that few people have had problems with the glass, so how is your point being proven again? Don't get all annoyed because people can't back up your statement.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm, your post wasn't on the screen at the time of my reply
Old 04-01-2005, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So just because you haven't experienced this problem, does it mean that it's ok for glass to flake and scratch like paint?

"Well, it hasn't happened to me, so it doesn't sound like a problem....."
Old 04-01-2005, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

"Well, it hasn't happened to me, so it doesn't sound like a problem....."
Exactly! Now your getting it.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have about 3k miles and had my car for 3 1/2 months. NOt one chip on the windows. Only probly I had was some one breaking into my car and busting in the driver side window. That and when I hite that water jug and cracked the front bumper (still looking for a good after market bumper to replace it with.)
Old 04-01-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If it's flaking like paint, I'd like to see it. Post a picture, please.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol.......no, you just not getting it.

Quick Reply: Glass sucks too....