Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Got the wrong car/license plate on the Ticket:worth to fight for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What was the speed limit? If he gave you a verbal warning for going 75 and knocked the “official” speed down to 60, he was obviously giving you a break.

You broke the law, you got caught, and he cut you some slack. And now you’re asking us if you should use a technicality to get out of your ticket?

If you want my advice, just pay the fine. Mail it in with a copy of your registration. Explain that he made a mistake and that you’re taking the high road.

Or you could contest the ticket, probably get off, and save some cash. Hopefully the officer won’t remember you the next time you may cross paths.

It’s not a big deal either way. All that is at stake is personal integrity. What’s that worth these days?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
Sorry that you missed the "national news" as I said it was a few years ago but here are some of the more recent news articles in case Google may have alluded you as well.

http://tinyurl.com/y5aubly

In case that doesn't suffice:

http://tinyurl.com/y5xq5ll

http://tinyurl.com/y8xebuf

http://tinyurl.com/y3fe3bw
I didn't GOOGLE it because you're the one that said it was national news, in making a claim I would figure it be easier for you to show such a link. (Not to mention I could give 2 $hit$ about this thread, since I could man up for breaking a law)

I also wouldn't say random stories from "let me google that for you" would be NATIONAL news as you stated, National news to most would be an Article with CNN, NBC,ABC, CBS, Reuters, etc etc. Not random stories from places like Seattle and Louisville.

Point of being with me pointing out the common argument on the net of "officers don't show up" is the fact that it can be a rare occasion where an officer doesn't show up, being that most have assigned days for court. And with a lot of personal links to law enforcement across the country, I know its a major policy to not miss court, even for minor traffic offenses.

And finally, I will point out that most states have a "Magistrate" that can "defend" the officer when they do not show based on tickets and written evidence. Its a good thing to check that your state government does not have such when fighting a ticket.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If he made this many mistakes on the ticket check the "Statute" number. Its very complicated and every "number" will have a corresponding letter. For example citation of statute number 234(c). Well if the citation he was trying to write you was actually statute number 234(b) then you are completely in the clear. Check it. Most people don't know but technicalities will get you off. It is very common and I've had two tickets thrown out due to negligence on the officers side. Worth a shot man. Screw the system if you don't it'll screw you 10x harder! << This comment has nothing to do with "owning" up and paying the ticket. My point here is the gov't will find EVERY way to stick you with something to put money in their hands. Do the same! Keep the money in your hand!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

so you're mad now...do you want a cookie since you can "man up"? It's a forum for crying out loud.

Information from the largest cities in their respective states and that's considered random.

FYI, the magistrate is handled based on municipality not by the state, they will not defend an officers poor notes or lack of accurate information on the ticket.

Last edited by ecko04; 04-15-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
so you're mad now...do you want a cookie since you can "man up"? It's a forum for crying out loud.

Information from the largest cities in their respective states and that's considered random.

FYI, the magistrate is handled based on municipality not by the state, they will not defend an officers poor notes or lack of accurate information on the ticket.
Those weren't the "largest" cities, nor was a picking of random articles from Google from those making it "National Headlines" as you put it.

But hey, have fun being "right" on the "net"
Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
Those weren't the "largest" cities, nor was a picking of random articles from Google from those making it "National Headlines" as you put it.

But hey, have fun being "right" on the "net"
Louisville isn't the largest city in Kentucky? Seattle isn't the largest city in Washington? Good luck trying to find ANYTHING to back that up, those are the "largest" cities in their respective states. So yea, headlines from the "largest" cities isn't "random" but I digress, to each his own.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If you've driven on a public road, you've probably violated the law in some way. But that's the nice thing about living in America. The government has to prove it. Now I admit the bar is set pretty low for traffic violations but it's your right to fight.

I suppose if you really wanna just roll over and die for the ticket, that's your call really. But fighting retarded traffic tickets is your duty as a citizen of an open society.

All the people arguing "you broke the law, suck it up and pay the fine" are right too. YOu did break the law (and got caught). But they're not the ones with money out of their pocket and points on their liscence. And then more insurance premiums. Hell, you're breaking the law pretty much just by driving.

For example;
Passing on the right
Changing lanes without signaling
Failure to make a complete stop at a stop sign.
Failure to make a complete stop at a red light when turning right.
Crossing a solid line (of any kind) - maybe you changed lanes too early or too late.
Going 1 mph over the posted speed limit. Never mind the speed traps, speed cameras, airplanes, timing stations, etc.
Using your turn signal for less than the minimum required distance before executing your turn.
All of the lovely mods we like to put on our car.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only problem with what all you guys are saying about wrong license number, wrong color, etc. is that all that information doesnt have to be correct on the ticket. if they spell your name wrong for example the officer can change it in court as well as your plate numbers, car color, etc. they treat it as you received a ticket therefore you did something wrong even if the information is correct or not. something like this happened to me a year ago and i talked it over with my cousin who is a lawyer and he said it wasnt even worth the fight and he has represented me in court before for free. so i trust when he says its not worth it...thats its totally not worth it. and also the officer can also write additional tickets while your sitting in the court room too. but stuff like that is usually frowned upon, but its possible.

all im trying to say here is if you know you were speeding and he cut you a break just go pay it or get on a defferal program or something. there are a lot of tickets that are worth fighting for but this one just isnt one of them.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etli
Hell, you're breaking the law pretty much just by driving.
& most officers know this. they're not out there pulling everyone over and giving tickets. they're only pulling over the ones that are at risk to themselves or other people on the road.

Also to OP. What was your final decision? Fight, no fight?
Old 04-22-2010, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i still dont know what to do. I really dont want to spend 4 hours of my life on the school again. And if the case wont be dismissed then i gotta pay a lowered fine plus i have to go to school, right?