Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Had to get a new gas cap tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Had to get a new gas cap tonight.

Ironically I had a oil change scheduled for today for my 10,000 mile mark. And just this morning my check engine light came on. I thought it was the car telling me I really need to change the oil. Since I was 500 miles over.

They said the spring was bad in the gas cap. It was real easy to take off. I didn't notice but the dealer did.

No CEL yet. We'll see if it comes back.

How many other people had to have their gas cap replaced? I can't believe I had to get work on my 08 tC.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Its just a seal issue with the cap, no serious defect with the car. The EVAP self check found a leak in the system and triggered the CEL. Personally though, unless it was cracked, they probably just could have tightened the cap and and cleared the code.

The maintenance light is for oil change interval (should be reset after each oil change, or it will come on at the wrong time, it is just a mileage reminder).
Old 01-23-2008, 01:02 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

wth, never heard this issue on SL before.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

same hapened to me.
I had to get one from a parts store,its under warranty but i didnt want to go to the dealer and arguee with them
So i spent 15 bucks
Old 01-23-2008, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

And you tried resetting the code, tightening the cap and driving to see if it came back? Even just tightening the cap will cause the code to go away after a short drive unless the cap actually is bad. The cap being loose is the most typical cause for the code. The next is probably an actual leak in the evap system.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for me, the problem was the leash on the gas cap to the fuel door would actually twist the gas cap loose as i closed the fuel door, i kept getting CEL's, so i said F&$% it and cut off the leash and boom, no more CEL's.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That is most likely the case with the other two Those leashes get all messed up sometimes and will loosen the cap, especially since ours is not really threaded, it just cam locks into place.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 PM

ive had two gas caps go bad on my 09 tc. first one the dealership replaced after they gacve me ____ for a while, since dealerships NEVER want to replace anything outa their pocket. the O ring is crap. although i was told that an AEM cap wont work cause supposedly there is a sensor on the OEM caps? sounds like a crock of ____ to me. any thoughts?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:57 PM

oh both times the caps caused a CEL to be thrown
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a CEL on my car a few days ago. As soon as I got it, I opened my gas cover and tightened it up. Drove over to an auto place and had them read the code. Said evac leak. I unhooked the battery, put it back on. No CEL since.

My car is an 05 with original cap, I really doubt your cap is bad. Depending how close these CELs are being caused, it might be something else more serious. If it's over a long time, maybe you are accidentally not completely closing the gas cap. It didn't happen immediately after filling up. For me I filled up in the morning, drove 150 miles, parked it overnight, remote started the car, and when I got inside the car a few seconds later, I saw the CEL.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a service bulletin for a revised gas cap since they are having sealing issues with them
Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

this is a really common problem with all toyotas not just scion. At the dealership we probably have a half dozen or more cars a day come in with evap small leaks and they are almost always gas caps not being tight or not sealing properly..
as for the gas cap having a sensor in it thats not true they are just a plain gas cap.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Have read lots of posts about CEL after oil change, it turns out the oil change shops like to pull the air filter to check for more sales and forget to reattach the EVAP purge vacuum line and that will throw a CEL also. I do all my own oil changes, but once after cleaning my K&N filter element I forgot to reattach the EVAP purge and got the CEL, cleared after reconnecting hose and driving 15min. Has any tC had issues with not able to refuel properly? I have gas pump cutoff 20 to 50 times while trying to fill up (every time)..
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by SatsumaxA
Have read lots of posts about CEL after oil change, it turns out the oil change shops like to pull the air filter to check for more sales and forget to reattach the EVAP purge vacuum line and that will throw a CEL also. I do all my own oil changes, but once after cleaning my K&N filter element I forgot to reattach the EVAP purge and got the CEL, cleared after reconnecting hose and driving 15min. Has any tC had issues with not able to refuel properly? I have gas pump cutoff 20 to 50 times while trying to fill up (every time)..
that is usually caused by there being a block in the air return line in the evap system by the filler neck i believe