Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

i just spotted a rattle source in the trunk!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default i just spotted a rattle source in the trunk!!!!!

hey guys.
i got a custom welded exhaust and i had this rattle noise from the trunk.
first i thought its the hatch, then i asked my friend to drive around the car while im in the trunk, so i heard that the noise is coming from underneath. i was pretty sure its the exhaust. ( the only time i can hear the noise when im driving.. and around in low rpm range.)

btw i wanted to tighten up some bolts, screws....
well.. successfully i broke the screws!! i didnt even force them.. toyota using poop materials thats for sure.

back to the noise =

but when the trunk was "naked" i saw what could be the problem:

if you take off your rear bumper there is a plastic vent on each side with some flat rubber material.. those rubber pieces are flapping around, really loud (for me)

i dont know what is that vent is for.. i just took those rubber things off... no more noise!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info.... where did u get the exhaust done at, b/c i live near ur area
Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm interesting
Old 11-21-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CSOCSO
if you take off your rear bumper there is a plastic vent on each side with some flat rubber material.. those rubber pieces are flapping around, really loud (for me)

i dont know what is that vent is for.. i just took those rubber things off... no more noise!!!!!!
Those rubber flaps are there to relieve cabin pressure, so that the doors can close easily. They don't flap around and make noise, they really only move when the windows are up and you close a door or the hatch. They also keep noise out, so by removing them you've likely made it noisier than before.

I'd say look elsewhere for the source of your rattle, and put the flaps back in place.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you let your friend ride around while u were in the trunk lol
that just made me laugh i have no input (sorry) but thats one way to figure out a problem lol
Old 11-21-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Screws and bolts of different uses and types have different torque limits. Breaking one is always user error, not poor materials They were only meant to be torqued to a given amount... you over-tightened them.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:41 AM
SL Member

Default Re: i just spotted a rattle source in the trunk!!!!!

hey guys.
i asked my friend to drive around the car while im in the trunk

LMAO!
i like the way u think
Old 11-22-2008, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by nodsetse

Those rubber flaps are there to relieve cabin pressure, so that the doors can close easily. They don't flap around and make noise, they really only move when the windows are up and you close a door or the hatch. They also keep noise out, so by removing them you've likely made it noisier than before.

I'd say look elsewhere for the source of your rattle, and put the flaps back in place.
Those flaps were my problem too. And a very annoying problem, especially when the radio was on I guess because of the speaker back there on the 08s. I didn't want to remove them so I just taped them up...no more annoying noise. I found that these were a problem by turning the radio up and opening the trunk and searching for the noise, but good job riding around in the trunk!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nodsetse

"They don't flap around and make noise,"

i just told you.. THEY FLAPPING AROUND and it was a really annoying noise!

it was vibrating because of the muffler.

i was in the trunk see that thing FACE TO FACE.. i know what im talking about. i took ( actually i ripped down ) those rubber things down and NO MORE NOISE.. its much better.. i didnt smell more exhaust gas so no problem yet.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry for threadjacking, but i saw the thread title and thought it might be a similar problem to what i have encountered, but i don't think the source of mine is the rubber flaps. mine sounds more like the strut bar is rattling, but i checked the bolts and none are loose. im not lowered but i hae struts and sways.

i wish i had a friend that would hop in the trunk to help me out.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

i already posted this same thing w/ pics a while ago.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those holes are designed to release the pressure inside when you close the doors, but you don't need flaps for that.
The flaps are there to prevent moisture/water from getting inside yet still allow for the pressure to be released. If you take them off, you have no barrier between the outside and inside of the car. Don't be surprised if one day you see a pool of water in the spare tire well.
My advice would be to figure out some way to fix the problem instead of just removing it.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by landark
Those holes are designed to release the pressure inside when you close the doors, but you don't need flaps for that.
The flaps are there to prevent moisture/water from getting inside yet still allow for the pressure to be released. If you take them off, you have no barrier between the outside and inside of the car. Don't be surprised if one day you see a pool of water in the spare tire well.
My advice would be to figure out some way to fix the problem instead of just removing it.
i should just tape them down like the other guy did