Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

looking for upgrades/mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:31 AM

Default looking for upgrades/mods

Just got my Tc on wednesday. Its a 2007 but it already has 2008 model headlights, injen exhaust and intake, header, and short shift are already in it. Planning on getting window tint too an hopefully HIDs (if i can find a spot to put the ballasts) Just trying to see what other things i can to to the car that arent insanely expensive (for the time being at least)
if you can give me an idea as to what the part does id greatly appreciate it. (just got into cars recently and finally have a car id love to add to)
Old 05-19-2013, 02:46 PM

lol oooh where to start.... apart from tints and HID's, you could do:
rims (paint OEM ones or change them w/ aftermarket)
lowering springs/coilovers
spoiler (if yours doesn't have one)
fog lights (if yours doesn't already have some)
front grilles
LED dome/parking lights
upgrade the sound system
there's so many things you can do... look around at other people's tC's to get more ideas
Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC2k10
lol oooh where to start.... apart from tints and HID's, you could do:
rims (paint OEM ones or change them w/ aftermarket)
lowering springs/coilovers
spoiler (if yours doesn't have one)
fog lights (if yours doesn't already have some)
front grilles
LED dome/parking lights
upgrade the sound system
there's so many things you can do... look around at other people's tC's to get more ideas
Do yourself and favor and don't listen to a single thing this person said other than the last bullet.

First, HID ballasts can just chill in there, or get 3M tape and tape them to the side of the engine bay.

Second get some coils and drop the car on some legit wheels.

DO NOT get a spoiler of any kid, a nice lip spoiler MAYBE. otherwise, don't waste your time or money.

So much rice on this site now a days
Old 05-20-2013, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Irishguy0224
Do yourself and favor and don't listen to a single thing this person said other than the last bullet.

First, HID ballasts can just chill in there, or get 3M tape and tape them to the side of the engine bay.

Second get some coils and drop the car on some legit wheels.

DO NOT get a spoiler of any kid, a nice lip spoiler MAYBE. otherwise, don't waste your time or money.

So much rice on this site now a days
You make no sense. I already mentioned coils and wheels, so you're just restating what I said. I never said what kind of spoiler to buy. FYI i have a lip spoiler on mine. So basically, what you're saying is that everyone who has different mods other than what you said are rice... SMH. Not everyone likes what you like.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol here comes the threadcrapping....
Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want a general template of which direction go, just start with the basic stuff. For bolt-on power (non forced induction), you can go the traditional intake, headers, exhaust, pulleys route. Next, if you don't want to spend the money on a big brake kit, at least get Stainless Steel brake lines (a good set will run about $90 to $100), and upgrade your pads and brake fluid ( http://www.dezod.com/cat-brake-fluid.cfm ) , this will make a huge, and I mean huge difference. It will feel like the car will actually want to stop in stead of you stepping on a sponge and then waiting for your car to take your suggestion and thinking about slowing down. For suspension, I like the TRD Shock/Spring combo, but if you want something more aggressive get coilovers. The single best suspension mod you can get for the 1st gen tc (other than coilovers) is the Ingalls 4 point rear strut brace IMHO. It really keeps the rear end flat thru the corners and gets rid of a lot of body roll.
Next up, get some sway bars (Hotchkis or TRD). When it comes time for some new tires, upgrade to a stickier compound. I really like the Hankook Ventus V12's, although if you live in NewYork, you're probably also gonna have to get a set of winter tires for when the snow comes.

Also, you mentioned you didn't want to go the "insanely expensive" route, so I might suggest doing some research the "free" mods that can increase the performance of the car. A good example would be the weight reduction from removing the jack/spare tire assembly from the trunk.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want a good reference point, check out my build, I'm always happy to answer questions:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222850
Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders85
If you want a general template of which direction go, just start with the basic stuff. For bolt-on power (non forced induction), you can go the traditional intake, headers, exhaust, pulleys route. Next, if you don't want to spend the money on a big brake kit, at least get Stainless Steel brake lines (a good set will run about $90 to $100), and upgrade your pads and brake fluid ( http://www.dezod.com/cat-brake-fluid.cfm ) , this will make a huge, and I mean huge difference. It will feel like the car will actually want to stop in stead of you stepping on a sponge and then waiting for your car to take your suggestion and thinking about slowing down. For suspension, I like the TRD Shock/Spring combo, but if you want something more aggressive get coilovers. The single best suspension mod you can get for the 1st gen tc (other than coilovers) is the Ingalls 4 point rear strut brace IMHO. It really keeps the rear end flat thru the corners and gets rid of a lot of body roll.
Next up, get some sway bars (Hotchkis or TRD). When it comes time for some new tires, upgrade to a stickier compound. I really like the Hankook Ventus V12's, although if you live in NewYork, you're probably also gonna have to get a set of winter tires for when the snow comes.

Also, you mentioned you didn't want to go the "insanely expensive" route, so I might suggest doing some research the "free" mods that can increase the performance of the car. A good example would be the weight reduction from removing the jack/spare tire assembly from the trunk.
what do coilovers do can you do coilovers at home or only at a shop? i see alot of people always talking about them. im a bit on the dumb side to car parts since im just getting into actually doing it vs looking at cars. but i did notice my car is already lowered a bit. saw it next to another tc and noticed the difference. one more thing. ive seen these things on some cars and managed to find them once. but (forgive my description) it like spikes that go along the top of the rear window. any idea as to what they are?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stet
what do coilovers do can you do coilovers at home or only at a shop? i see alot of people always talking about them. im a bit on the dumb side to car parts since im just getting into actually doing it vs looking at cars. but i did notice my car is already lowered a bit. saw it next to another tc and noticed the difference. one more thing. ive seen these things on some cars and managed to find them once. but (forgive my description) it like spikes that go along the top of the rear window. any idea as to what they are?

Coilovers are a single, more aggressive unit that replaces both the shocks and springs of the cars' suspension, they give you much better handling and a stiffer ride, but usually cost well over $1000 for a good set
Old 05-21-2013, 12:35 PM

my 2007 tc so far. next up is going to be tint and probably plastidip for the rims. Cant afford nice ones yet so ill take cheap route on that for now.

Last edited by stet; 05-21-2013 at 12:58 PM.