Manual Transmission Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Manual Transmission Help

Hey guys,

I got my car back in August, and i loved it. Only problem was i didnt know stick. Well, now i know stick somewhat. But i still cant take off that quickly like other cars around me. I rev the engine to about 1.5 rpm's as i let go of the clutch. Is this how im supposed to do it? Then when shifting, i can still feel the car jerk no matter how smooth i try to be. Any help would be great. Is this car just not that fast, or is their a better way to start off faster? Thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member

have the same issue...
way i found to keep it "smooth" is to ride the clutch a little longer than i should.

*just remember that unlike an auto, the manual tranny has a direct link from crank to wheels (minus friction/heat losses in clutch, for those waiting to pounce on my post) in gear, engine & tranny need to spin at the same speed or you'll stall, smoke the tires, or experience 'engine braking.'

next time it happens, try & notice the direction of the jerking motion when you shift:
if the car jerks forward, engine is spinning faster than wheels for that gear.
if the car stutters (like hitting the breaks), the engine is slower than the wheels at that gear.
over time, you can learn your cars exact shift points. every tranny is different & it takes time. also pay attention to your clutch. notice it only has to be pressed half way down before it's fully engaged. if you slam it to the floor every time, you're wasting energy & time. ((there's a DIY mod on here to decrease pedal travel length if you struggle learning the engage points on yours))

i'm no expert... just what i've learned through reading, advice, & experience. IMO, what the tC needs is a lighter flywheel. just don't have the cash right now...

check out http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ ..have a ton of info that can help you understand the inner workings of your car