2005-2010 [ANT10]

My dealer (pre-purchase) dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My dealer (pre-purchase) dilemma

A week ago I went to a dealer that my friend had gotten his xB. He said that he'd had a good experience and plus he'd get 50 dollars for referring me. So I just figured it made sense to go there. I wanted the tC so i put down my deposit for a Flint Mica 5 spd. Earlier this week I decided that I didn't care about the color as long as it was a Flint Mica, Indigo Ink Pearl, or Black Sand Pearl. I called my sales guy and no answer. Left a message. No response. I leave a message with a different sales guy at the same dealer. No response.

I went to another dealer because he had a model available for a test drive. He seemed really cool and wished that he was the one doing my tC, but he wouldn't step on another dealer's toes since I had already put down a deposit. I called my original dealer and spoke in person with the guy and referred to my messages (which he apparently didn't remember or never received) and updated my preferences. He replied dumbly and it kind of annoyed me.

I guess that all boils down to this... I've only been waiting a week so far in the estimated 3-4 weeks that I was originally quoted. I want to switch dealers and move my deposit, but would that just keep me waiting longer? I'll stay with my original one if it really doesn't make a difference. I can deal with an annoyingly retarded salesperson if it means my car will get here, but I feel like I can't trust him sometimes.... Like asking your retarded ADD-inflicted red-headed step brother to stand in line for you.. or something.. So, should i switch to the cool one and maybe wait longer or hope that the current one i have won't screw me?
Old 10-28-2004, 03:56 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You might not have to wait longer, i also just ordered a tc and i did not care much for the dealer but i was desperate but after reading here on the forums i found a different dealer that was much better and now i am getting the car much sooner. I have not broke the news yet to the other place but if it makes you feel better im switching also. It will all go down today after work.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

find a couple dealers that will take your deposit checks without cashing them, and place orders at all of them. I'm suprised the second dealer declined to take your order.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

that is odd that the second dealer declined to take your order. they should've been quick to do business with you, and show you that they could do better.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't tell anybody I told you guys this, I'm in cognito k!!! I work for scion myself and plenty of times I have taken deposits from people who have deposits at other places. It is true you can do that and double or triple your chances of getting your tC faster that way. Also make sure the dealer does not cash your check, they really have no reason to so if they say they are then say laterz losers.... That way all you have to do is sit back and wait for that dealer that gets your order in the fastest call you. Then you will be stylin and you can drive your new tc to all the other dealers to get your deposit back. That's an insider tip from your friendly insider nairod. sssssshhhhhh!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCholleration
that is odd that the second dealer declined to take your order. they should've been quick to do business with you, and show you that they could do better.
well, i can kind of respect that. like i didn't specify who i was working with at the first dealer to the second dealer. i just mentioned the dealership. he said he didn't want to step on the other dealer's feet so that's pretty cool of him even though he knew i was eager to buy. so respect all around. before i mentioned all that, i was wondering if i should even tell him that i'd made a deposit somewhere else. i decided to because he was being upfront with me about everything.

anyway, he said he'd give me a call if something freed up, but it's not like i should count on that because i didn't plop down a deposit. i guess i could always lie and say i pulled my deposit, but that'd be pretty lame.... :?
Old 10-28-2004, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so all the people who put down deposits...what is a good price of the amount of deposit they ask for? ill be selling my BMW next month and wanna get ready to make a deposit
Old 10-28-2004, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LucidBD
so all the people who put down deposits...what is a good price of the amount of deposit they ask for? ill be selling my BMW next month and wanna get ready to make a deposit
well, for the tc, you just go in and deposit 500 dollars to basically reserve an incoming tc (or maybe just the possibility of the incoming tC configuration you want because they sometimes trade). what i got from the dealer was that... they don't actually run the card or cash the check that you give them. depends on the dealer though. i've heard of checks being cashed and the like.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't use the crappy dealer any more- put money down at the helpful dealer, and take back the funds from the guy who can't even listen to the messages. If you buy the car from that salesperson you are paying him to treat you like dirt.

Screw him- go to the nice guy.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I say buh-bye to the first inept dealer and just deal with the cool one. If you don't feel right about them why let them make the sale.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To answer your questions about deposits, Being in the biz I would not leave any more than $100.00. That's all that we require and it's not cashed and it's fully refundable. If the dealer tells you 500 let them know that the dealer down the road is only asking for 100 and that maybe you should go there. Do this and I guarantee that the sales guy will say give me a sec let me check with my mngr, and then he will come back and say ok we will take a 100 dollar deposit. If they refuse to do that then they don't deserve your business. It's all about customer service I always say. Let me know if anyone has anymore questions about any of the process. I will be more than happy to answer any insider questions, and I think it's always good to have someone on the inside for that greater advantage.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I am also a salesman at a dealership in WA. We take $500 deposits and rarely anything else. We do not cash them until the car is there and the papers are signed. To much of a headache to bother refunded if customer changed their mind.

We have taken deposits from customers that have other deposits out in the off chance we get one earlier. It is rare though since we all preference at the same time and get delivered with a day or two of each other. You can try though. Just make sure to get in writing that the deposit is REFUNDABLE and will not be deposited until papers are signed. That is just to cover your butt.