2005-2010 [ANT10]

My Tranny issues =\ Cold weather grind & Shift fork prob

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My Tranny issues =\ Cold weather grind & Shift fork prob

Hey folks. my tC is almost a year old now with only about 5100 miles on it. I have an AP 5speed which is stock (mostly because ive been very hesitant due to my transmission from the very beginning).

At around 3000 miles, the cold weather rolled in and I noticed the transmission was very stiff/rough in <40 degree weather. for the first 10 mins I get a little bit of grind going into gear in 2nd and 3rd when its cold out and the car has sat overnight. If I double clutch, wait for th revs to drop, and bring them back up, it doesnt have this problem. In warm weather there is no problem whatsoever as far as that, it is smooth as ever in normal weather.

Now... about 1-3 weeks ago I started to notice that my 5->4 downshift was funny somehow. It feels (I know this is prolly me just feeling something not there =P) like it is slightly off and to the left somewhat, and it often doesnt want to go into gear right away. I have always rev-matched on downshifts and dont experience this in any other gear (youd think id have this problem in 2nd if it was due to something I was doing wrong, no?), Also out of nowhere my first gear engagement feels rough. Its hard to describe exactly what I mean, but it doesnt go in effortlessly anymore when the car is stopped, I can feel it as it is mid-engagement like it is grinding but obviously no grinding noise or gnashing or anything, just a bit of response as its being pushed into gear. This doesnt happen if I stop, clutch in in second, then shift into first.

Some people have mentioned that it could be a bent shift fork? I am taking the car in again this friday.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like you're right, it's either the shift forks, the linkage associate with them, or the synchronizers..

let us know what they find and please ask for a master tech, i guess i'm sick of other mechanics who don't have a clue and say 'oh it's fine"..
Old 03-07-2006, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im hoping its not the syncros(though the cold weather definately the synchros are not up to speed in the beginning, I dont know why this would be, when I had my car in the winter it was practically off-the-showroom-new and doing this)

Im kinda very hesitant to bring my car in and have the tranny pulled, them say 'oh its nothing' or 'oh pay us $$$$$' and then have a car thats still messed up but just had the tranny sloppilly re-installed

Im kinda hinging on the decision to buy a new Si/WRX/STI/Z. I just got a new job and a big raise and It looks like im going to be getting another one in a few weeks, the STi is starting to look reaaaal good =P
Old 03-07-2006, 09:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well yeah if you're trading it in.. then DO NOT mention that trans issue to the dealer, since they'll penalize you for a factory problem. Fact is, it might be the cold weather causing the stiff shifting. Other's have noted that as well..

it should be warming up soon, see if it's still there. I also agree on NOT having the dealer yank that trans out and who knows if they'll put it back in right..

how about wait til it gets warmer? and see if that changes the shifting?
Old 03-07-2006, 09:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess I should hold off on tranny issues untill it gets warmer. I still have to take it in for my whistling sunroof and passenger seatbelt that is 24/7 locked basically once someone gets in.

On one hand I want my tc that drives and shifts well, but on the other, Im not sure I want to keep the tC even if the transmission was 100% perfect. If im going ot trade it in 6months anyways maybe I should have the transmission un-molested by my dealership =P
Old 03-07-2006, 09:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 5 speed trans

I read so many post on people and ther manual trans. here. Mine is now 8 months old with 6500 miles and runs perfect. We've had some freezing temps here in PA and I have not come across any of these problems. On any manual it would be normal for shifting to be stiff on a cold morning, but it should still shift fine and warm up in 5 minutes. Good luck on your trans.

jjp
Old 03-07-2006, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you say it is normal, do you hear any extra noise from the gearbox while you are shifting in cold weather? Its not a loud grinding gnashing, more of a crunch/clunk as you feel the gears engaging with eachother. Its hard to describe, but after driving a Si the otherday that shifted sooooo perfectly, its hard to imagine my transmission is operating properly.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Banned

i guarntee u that if u put redline mtl m/t fluid in this whole problem will stop...
Old 03-03-2007, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a second gear crunch that is noticeable until the engine warms up...i'm changed out my shifter, bushings and fluid...it's still there

but it's not there when it's not cold outside
Old 03-03-2007, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You should've waited for 4 more days...