Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Question: Is this too much to ask of the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Question: Is this too much to ask of the dealer?

I'm tired of my '04 Matrix XR, and was looking to trade it in for a tC 5-spd. After trading in the Matrix, from what I'm guessing I would probably have to finance around 7-8 k for the car. Is that an attractive deal for the dealership? My Matrix is already fully paid off and bought exactly one year ago from today. So they would acquire full-ownership of the vehicle. Any dealers out there want to throw in their input? I'm just trying to get a general idea for the realism of actually trading in a year-old car for a tC. Thanks guys.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds reasonable to me. 17,265 -about 11000 will put you at about 6300 diff plus any tax title and lic fees.
Sounds like you should have deal.
If the Matrix has normal mileage that is ( 15,000 miles )
Old 07-08-2004, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should be able to get more then that for it. edmunds.com says a '03 (cannot select '04 for a used car) Matrix XR is worth about $13k. A 5-speed tC will end up costing about $18k once all is said and done. $18k - $13k = $5k

You should not have to finance more then $5k.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, I really hope I get a good offer for the Matrix. The deal is entirely dependent on that deal, and I made that perfectly clear with the dealership. He said he would have to wait to receive an estimate from the used car manager, which seemed a little redundant since the car was already with me at the dealership and ready for appraisal. *shrugs*
Old 07-08-2004, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Expect $2-3k less than what any book value says on a trade in. They will not give you $13k. If its worth $13k, expect $10k.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow really? I thought that by Toyota standards they can't offer anything less than Kelly Blue Book - $750. If that's the case then ____ it lol.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sell it privately.... dealerships are offering 2000-2500 for mine... Im selling it on my own for 4500.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Normally I would sell it privately, but I only have the Matrix to drive around. That would leave me without a car for a couple weeks while I tried to hunt down a good deal for a tC. That obviously can't happen. So I'm pretty much stuck with a trade-in.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would suggest you sell it privately. I think Scion with "pure pricing" will try to NOT give good trade-in money as they cannot manipulate the Scion price (unless of course, we are talking about doc fees )

Good luck on getting your tC.....

BTW, the tC is much more good looking than the Matrix....IMHO

Kevin
Old 07-08-2004, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
NM SCIONS

SL Member

Well American Toyota/Scion here in Albuquerque will give you a pure price trade in price. My sales woman told me that they will give you the full kelly blue book price, maybe not 100% but pretty close to that. I would give it a shot and see what they say.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I just got back from testdriving one. I was shocked that the salesman let me take it out by myself! While I was at it I had them appraise my car. They told me they would give me $14,000 for my car (paid $19,800 out the door a year ago for it), and my payment would only be like $150 a month. It was a fully loaded car too, spoiler, bumper protector, LED lighting, TRD exhaust, AEM CAI, etc. Retailed for about 19,750 but low and behold the infamous $550 "delivery and processing fee" was tacked on the bottom of the sticker. Friggin BS... But in any case I was pretty satisfied with the car overall. What do you guys think about the deal?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Giravani
So I just got back from testdriving one. I was shocked that the salesman let me take it out by myself! While I was at it I had them appraise my car. They told me they would give me $14,000 for my car (paid $19,800 out the door a year ago for it), and my payment would only be like $150 a month. It was a fully loaded car too, spoiler, bumper protector, LED lighting, TRD exhaust, AEM CAI, etc. Retailed for about 19,750 but low and behold the infamous $550 "delivery and processing fee" was tacked on the bottom of the sticker. Friggin BS... But in any case I was pretty satisfied with the car overall. What do you guys think about the deal?
I think the $550 fee you're talking about is the delivery fee, not the infamous "doc fee" that has so many people ____ed off. Every dealer I've been to in the Bay Area has a $45 doc fee. As far as the car goes, I personally wouldn't get a loaded car, all those accessories could be bought for a lot cheaper aftermarket.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you're saying that I should just get a dead-stock tC and just buy any parts I want later on? Is this what most Scion drivers do? Honestly I want as many opinions as possible. The TRD exhaust was nice but I can live without it... the spoiler too. The spoiler isn't even worth it IMHO. More replies! heheheh
Old 07-08-2004, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you're saying that I should just get a dead-stock tC and just buy any parts I want later on? Is this what most Scion drivers do? Honestly I want as many opinions as possible. The TRD exhaust was nice but I can live without it... the spoiler too. The spoiler isn't even worth it IMHO. More replies! heheheh
Yes! This is what most tC drivers...want to do...most can't because the cars that come in have some options on them already. I'm getting a tC with side airbags and floor mats...that's it! By any chance was the car u were test-driving located at Ron Goode Scion? In any case, you will save a lot more if you get the parts elsewhere. IMO the spoiler isn't worth it either...and neither is the TRD exhaust. PM me if you have any questions about Bay Area dealers...I've been to them all LOL.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the dealer I went today was the Walnut Creek Scion dealer. And I called and checked... the delivery and processing fee is an additional BS charge on top of the $45 doc fee. God is there no avoiding this?? In any case, my Matrix is loaded to the max with all the options... and getting a completely stock car would be a harsh downgrade. RussianTC, here did you order your tC from? I've been trying really hard to find an Indigo Ink but or Flint Mica but I havent had any luck at all...
Old 07-08-2004, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the dealer I went today was the Walnut Creek Scion dealer. And I called and checked... the delivery and processing fee is an additional BS charge on top of the $45 doc fee. God is there no avoiding this?? In any case, my Matrix is loaded to the max with all the options... and getting a completely stock car would be a harsh downgrade. RussianTC, here did you order your tC from? I've been trying really hard to find an Indigo Ink but or Flint Mica but I havent had any luck at all...
Well there's supposed to be a $515 "Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee" That scion charges on all cars. This is included in the total MSRP. (Look at the very bottom of the sticker price) However, if you're saying that there's another $500 on top of that I say you run away from Walnut Crack...very very quickly. I'm getting my flint mica from Freeman Toyota in Santa Rosa. Yes, it's kindof far, about an hour and a half drive for me, but it's worth it. The problem is for some reason flint mica is really hard to find in the Bay Area. There was a dark blue tC in Melody Toyota in San Bruno this weekend. I think it's been sold though. The tC is by no means "harsh" in its stock form. After all how many stock cars come with 17" alloys and a moonroof? Anyway, try Ron Goode Scion in Alameda, Freeman Toyota in Santa Rosa and Melody Toyota in San Bruno. You might have to drive a little bit to get the car you want, but it'll be worth it. Send me a private message if you have any questions.
-Alex
Old 07-08-2004, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright cool, thanks. It'll still take me a couple weeks to make a final decision. i don't really want to go the ordering route either... We'll see what happens. Thanks for the pointers guys!