jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Remote Turbo?!

found this on a chevy j-body forum

sounds like bull ____ sales pitch too me

http://www.ststurbo.com/

i would never do this, but what do you think???
Old 08-01-2004, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow that is funny - I'd like to say its a good idea but its not. I don't doubt that it works but I'm nearly positive that is much less efficient than a traditional turbo. I hope you like that clogged exhaust sound because that's exactly what that woosh sound is (not from the intake side -The sound we like to hear from a turbo.)

A traditional turbocharger is fairly efficient because it does not need to be especially restrictive. (Exhaust restriction) This is because exhaust gasses are still expanding as they leave the cylinder (The energy from the fuel was not spent entirely in the cylinder and is dumped into the exhaust so the engine can move onto bigger and better things, that is, the engine is running faster than it can burn all the fuel.) The turbocharger can scavenge these left overs so the power is not exactly free (Turbochargers are more restrictive than most any header) but its pretty close, especially at lower engine speeds where a turbo is nearly transparent as far as fuel economy is concerned. This rear mounted turbo does not scavenge the wasted fuel energy and so the engine has to drive the turbo with exhaust gas alone. Parasitic drag has to be at least as high as a belt driven centrifugal but then you have to take into account how all that backpressure will effect combustion too (Your going to have a exhaust port with (relatively) highly pressurized exhaust sitting in it, I bet with the wrong cam your going to end up with significant amount of exhaust back in the cylinder at the end of the exhaust stroke. )

I'm sure you can make tons of boost with this thing and boost will make lots of power but its going to be grossly inefficient doing it and it'll sound retarded at the same time.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member

You're right about the cam if there is a lot of overlap. The exhuast gases would have slowed down so much by the time it made it's way to the turbine it would just end up backing up into the exhuast system until the turbo spooled. So it would seem. Also not to mention there is likely increased lag.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Something else I thought was funny is if you watch the video they talk about how expensive traditional turbo kits are. If you go to their upgrades page their upgrades are standard pieces for almost all aftermarket turbo kits. I wouldn't even waste my money on that.