Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

saving gas`

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member

Dude...

A normal person runs the engine in theri car at about 12-23%Mbhp, if your doing 70 mph, and im doing 70mph, then were both running in that range. Do you have a turbo? S/C? if you do, you ARE burning more gas. The engine does have to work a little to push the exhaust through that turbo. Now, lets play a little. U and i both stand on the gas, WOT, till we run our tank out. You get there faster, but i go farther. I BET you wouldn't run for more than 55 minutes, and at our cars limited top speed, that would get you what130 miles? Me... I go about 10 minutes longer.... just rough number off a rule of thumb. You want to doubt, me, thats fine.

if you want to find out for yourself, put your car on an eddy current dyno, run a full tank through at wot... if you don't overheat, you'll run dry much faster than you would think
Old 10-27-2006, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Year and a half later and people are still arguing about their gas mileage.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the record, the gas average in Los Angeles, CA today is like $2.35 a gallon
Old 10-27-2006, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member

i didn't drag it up... lol, just had to defend myself a tad
Old 10-27-2006, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last time I filled up for $2.04! yippee
Old 10-27-2006, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can burn a tank or close to in a night. Averaging $5-6 a gallon.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:51 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by striptyler
Dude...

A normal person runs the engine in theri car at about 12-23%Mbhp, if your doing 70 mph, and im doing 70mph, then were both running in that range. Do you have a turbo? S/C? if you do, you ARE burning more gas. The engine does have to work a little to push the exhaust through that turbo. Now, lets play a little. U and i both stand on the gas, WOT, till we run our tank out. You get there faster, but i go farther. I BET you wouldn't run for more than 55 minutes, and at our cars limited top speed, that would get you what130 miles? Me... I go about 10 minutes longer.... just rough number off a rule of thumb. You want to doubt, me, thats fine.

if you want to find out for yourself, put your car on an eddy current dyno, run a full tank through at wot... if you don't overheat, you'll run dry much faster than you would think
You are talking about something totally different tho. Running wide open throttle, yes I will have SIGNIFICANTLY different fuel milage than you. But your AVERAGE MPG will not be different with f/i unless you run the car like that everyday.
You brought up a totally hypothetical point to prove me wrong. A point that will never happen. I bought up a real world point. MY AVERAGE MPG. Thats what people care about. Real world situations, and in my REAL world situations, I AM NOT burning more fuel than you. I track my MPG every fill up, I will up date my spread sheat and post it up. I have my ocasional low tanks where I was driving hard, but on the average, I am right at what the manufacturer says.

Anyone can find a hypothetical situation to prove them right, it doesnt make them right. (and WOT for an ENTIRE tank, is hypothetical, in daily driving)
Old 10-28-2006, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member

my hero

When you are running at 70mph on the highway, you are using the same amount of power as me. Any tool can figure that out. You will have to burn slightly more gas than me to drive your S/C even though you may not be using it. At that point, 1/2lb /hr per hp is the same. You claimed i was totaly wrong, when in reality you just didn't comprehend the ideas behind the statment. You are not using your extra 87 hp when dicking along on the highway. YOU brought up having the 87 HP, so i said IF we were playing around, and you used ALL that power you would burn gas faster than I.

You never brought up a real world point, You started off with:
Stock we have about 140 hp. I am up to 227 hp. So I have gained 87WHP
You ONLY get that extra 87 whp at WOT, i just used an entire tank so you could see how much of a diffrence in fuel burn you would have. so i guess you hypotheticaly have 87 more hp.

I guess you missed where i said
LETS PLAY A LITTLE
Obviously i was making up a situation, to demonstrate what my point was. You clearly didn't understand it, so i'll make it easier.

More power = More fuel. try to argue that one einstien. If you can prove that wrong, then you have got me, all the Toyco, ford,GM,honda,VW, etc... engineers beat. You should be working for them, and driving an Enzo.

I would place lots of money on the line to say that you burn more fuel than me. Come ride in mine for a tank, then we'l ride in yours for a tank. I'll win
Old 10-28-2006, 01:45 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, I am not going to come back because you took it way to personal and brought into personal attacks I am not all about that. So you are right, I am wrong, and I guess my tracking of gas milage for the last year has been wrong as well.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member

Never said you gas tracking was wrong... Just because i use sarcasm don't think i'm being personal. the rule of thumb, 1/2 lb of fuel per Hr per HP is pretty much accepted industry wide. It simply give a value to "More power mean more fuel"

Rather than claim i was totaly wrong, in something which i was not, all you had to say was, i'm still getting 30mpg, and i would totaly believe you. I am not arguing that, and i wouldn't.

Anybody who tanks around at full power is gonna get crapo fuel econ. we all know that. i will get better milage for other reasons though... it's been a quest of mine, as i drive 1200 miles a week.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one thing most people don't realize too is that properly inflated tires really help on saving gas.