Scion tc insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion tc insurance?

Hi.
I am currently an owner on a 2005 scion tc.
However me being in college i did not make payments for my insurance, but my parents told me that thye are costing more than the car patment itself.

I bought this car under my own name, and therefore (i think ) have to have the full coverage under my name.

Anyway i am currently with american family but i think their abusing thier pwoers and the rate is really high.

So i made this topic to see if anyone could help me a tell me where some of you guys would recommend any other insurance companies.

Thank you for all your help in advance
Old 12-17-2004, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member

Default insurance

Not sure about your company, haven't heard of it...you should probably get quotes from many companies and see how they compare. Often they will give you quite different rates.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It seems that males under 25 years old are paying through the nose for insurance for the tC, judging by other posts here. I'm over that point and have quite reasonable premiums, but my company is limited in who they will insure.

Premiums more than the car payment... that is insane. My monthly premium is less than 1/6th of my monthly car payment.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member

Ok I got a few questions first....

Is the car in your name?
If the car (as in the title and all that good stuff) was in my name, this meant I have to go on my own insurance policy which meant like 400/month at least (it sucks being 18 haha). However, if I wanted the car in my parents' insurance policy, my name could not be on the title anywhere so the car and the payments would have to be under my parents' name and that wasn't happening.

Is your parents' name on the insurance policy with the tC on it at all or is it just your name?
What our final solution was is that my brother-in-law (parent) opened up a second policy under my name and put himself as a driver which dropped my payment from at least 400/month to now 205/month ... I have Nationwide Insurance. You should see if you could do this. They also gave me all the discounts my parent's get such as multiple car discount (although only one car is on my policy) and benefits that they get through their work. So I kind of lucked out. Although the insurance is still really high, but not nearly what it could be if I were on my own.

When I was going through the mess of selecting a car I wanted, this was a problem I ran into SEVERAL times.

I also contacted several Insurance companies and Nationwide seems to be the most complicated. You should check out other ones like State Farm, Geico and Progressive. (I dunno if these are national or just local) but they seemed to be okay with it as long as you lived in the same house as the person on the title. I believe Progressive was the least caring about all that, they just wanted your money haha. But make sure you explain everything to them so they know the whole situation before you make any decisions!

Best of luck to you my friend, it's going to be a rough ride! Let me know if you have any more questions!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by mfbenson
Premiums more than the car payment... that is insane. My monthly premium is less than 1/6th of my monthly car payment.

hahaha I so hate you
Old 12-17-2004, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
Scion Corps

I go thru State farm. They're really good. I pay about $125 a month for full coverage on my TC. Although, I am a female under 25 my insurance would be a lil less than you guys, but still that's not bad. Also, State Farm has all kinds of fun discounts like the good student discount if you make a B average or better! ahahah
Old 12-17-2004, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member

Damn Tigress you got some sweet mods... Wish I could see your tC in person
Old 12-17-2004, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have state farm also and they are pretty good. I have my car in my name, and I have an insurance policy through my parents but still have it in my name (bills come to me and my own policy number). My only problem is that im a male and im under 25. I also should have 3 speeding tickects coming off soon which will help big time. I pay like 185 month, sounds high but its cause Im a guy under 25, plus speeding tickets. Only thing i got going for me is good student discount.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member

Damn! 185/month? How old are you exactly if you don't mind me asking? I don't have any traffic violations and I'm paying 205/month... I get the good student discount as well. Hmmm The only thing I can think of is that they don't really have my car in their database yet so they don't have a set premium on it so they might be jacking it until they get a real price... Which I hope is soon if ever.... This might already be the set price though, but i'm hoping for the best!!
Old 12-17-2004, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine's $2700 a year...but parents pay it. 1 ticket running a red light @ga tech... slow ___ light, no traffic, and then the same month illegal u-turn in pc on spring break. Sucks the only 2 tickets I've had were in the same month, after 3 years of driving, but when I was 16 I lucked out when I got 60 in a 30 in Stone Mountain Park...would've lost my license (in GA lose it if you go 25 over) also got let off once for following too closely (a friend) and 20 over.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Why don't you call for rates???

125/month fully covered via state farm is good... IMO
Old 12-17-2004, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Im a 23 year old male with 3 tickets. I pay $110 a month with Esurance.

Check out www.esurance.com they have really good rates because they are new and do everything online. Their customer service is great. The only thing is that they dont have rates for a tC so they will base your rate on a 2004 camry which scared me a bit because the camry is like the number 1 most stolen car in the country but $110 is very low for a male under 25 with tickets. Progressive wanted almost $200 a month.

Oh and in most states you HAVE to have full coverage on a car that is financed. As a matter of fact you probably had to sign a contract stating that you would have full coverage for as long as you were making payments when you bought your car.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am with Geico in CT. I called a few places and Geico gave me the best rate. Heres my profile.

Single Male, 26, first vehical (under my name), first insurance policy (under my name). Licensed since 16 with a 100% clean driving record.

Full Coverage (minimum requirements for financing a car):

Geico - $1390/yr ($115/month)
Progressive - $2400/yr
All State - $4500/yr

I think its pretty clear why I chose Geico.

I recommend you just call every company you can think of to get quotes. It makes a HUGE difference who you are insured with.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Paying around $45 a month with Progressive full coverage. 27 and married.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I pay $96/month. My car is in my name, but under my parents' policy through State Farm. I get the good student discount as well as the steer clear program cause my record is clean. They also get a multi-car discount, which makes it lower, but I believe a lot of people pay about that per month. There was another thread. But all you have to do is call and get a quote. It couldn't hurt.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Progressive and Geico seem to be the cheapest that I know of. I have a policy with Progressive, because that's where I've had car insurance since I was 18. I've gotten a loyalty break in the past year, I also have a motorcycle insured with them, and another truck (an old 68 pickup). I got a reasonable rate, about 120/mo for $500 deductible full coverage. Make sure you let the insurance company know the car has a vehicle immobilizer, that gives you a 15% break or so on comprehensive coverage. If you got the SAB package, check and see if they have a discount for that, check for any possible discounts you can think of. If this is your first car under your name insurance-wise, and you are under 20, you are probably going to get raped. No, they won't give you any lube either.

You should really have checked this out before you bought the car. I researched several cars and insurance on each before deciding on the tC. I could have gotten a Celica GT-S and managed the payments, but the insurance was going to rape me. Luckily, apparently the insurance companies haven't quite figured out that the tC is the Celica replacement, so it's not getting a high price like the Celica does.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Got you beat!!!

I pay $41/month for $500 deductible and 50,000/100,000. I'm also married, 27, and have multiple policies and vehicles. and no accidents.....life is good. $400 a month??? That's 5 G's a year!!! Holy ____. How the hell can any of you afford mods....you must be selling your souls to drive this damn car. Assuming your payment is around 350 (which many are $400), and your insurance is $400 and your gas is about a $1000 a year.....humm.....that's 10 G's a year!!! or $833.33/month. I'm sorry to say, but that's a house payment not a car payment!!! For that kind of money, you should live in your car.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm 22 with 3 tickets on my record in the last 3 years. Got 50/100/50 for Bodily and Property, 15/30 for Un/Underinsured, Lost income, 100 comp deduct. 500 Collision deduct. and am paying 2273 a year with Unitrin Direct. Progressive and Gieco wanted about 1600 for 6/ms. State Farm wouldn't quote me. AIG wanted 4500 a year.

My payments are around 180 with a car payment of 333
Old 12-17-2004, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go through the phone book and call every place you see in it. I bet you'll find a better rate. Mine is 128 month. I also have an 05 scion tc. Any time you have a loan against the car you have to have full coverage.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyota_scion_tc
Go through the phone book and call every place you see in it. I bet you'll find a better rate. Mine is 128 month. I also have an 05 scion tc. Any time you have a loan against the car you have to have full coverage.
(Everyone here has an 05' Tc)

Quick Reply: Scion tc insurance?