Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Should I sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member

Default Should I sell?

Noob here, need a push. I have an 05 Tc with 95K miles on it, original clutch, in great condition. I love it; first car I ever bought new. I put it up for sale, but now that I have an interested buyer, I'm getting cold feet. I've read that at this point in it's life it starts burning oil like crazy and I'm going to need to replace the clutch soon. Are those minor issues I should deal with or reason to offload it now?

My girlfriend is going to need a new vehicle not too far down the road. She would be learning to drive manny on it - so, probably bumping up that clutch replacement. I'd just as soon shop around for an '09 or '10 for her with lower miles.

I love this car, but I feel I may be being overly sentimental. Buyer is offering $6600. I'm embarrassed for being indecisive, but I'd like to know what you guys think.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, $6600 is a great offer that you probably won't get anywhere else. Seems almost too good to be true really. Regarding the burning oil thing, that really applies to the 07 and later. In 2007, Toyota revised the pistons slightly, and the new pistons are known to have the oil burning issues. If you have an 05, you have the older design and should be in better shape. If you're not burning much oil at this point, I wouldn't worry too much.

The 09 and 10 models you mentioned above are at greater risk of excessive oil consumption, FYI. Keep that in mind when you make your decision. If I were you, I would take the $6600 and use it to buy something else. That's an amazing offer for a 10+ year old tC.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for this info. I had an honesty attack and informed the buyer of the potential need for a clutch replacement down the road as he was bringing his money order. Maybe I should've kept my mouth shut, but I feel better about holding on to it knowing that I'm less likely to have the oil burning issues.

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
Honestly, $6600 is a great offer that you probably won't get anywhere else. Seems almost too good to be true really. Regarding the burning oil thing, that really applies to the 07 and later. In 2007, Toyota revised the pistons slightly, and the new pistons are known to have the oil burning issues. If you have an 05, you have the older design and should be in better shape. If you're not burning much oil at this point, I wouldn't worry too much.

The 09 and 10 models you mentioned above are at greater risk of excessive oil consumption, FYI. Keep that in mind when you make your decision. If I were you, I would take the $6600 and use it to buy something else. That's an amazing offer for a 10+ year old tC.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member

It definitely feels that way. Once again, the girlfriend benefits from my idiocy.

Originally Posted by Big_Jim
Every car/truck with a manual transmission is going to "eventually" need a clutch. Sounds like you shot yourself in the foot.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So true! I changed mine at 115k in preparation for my turbo, but even still, there was so much meat left on the clutch disk