2005-2010 [ANT10]

Street legality Q's (from a newb)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Street legality Q's (from a newb)

Hi everyone, first time poster, been lurking for a few weeks though. Like my signature says, I drive a fairly old Corolla I'm hoping to replace it in a year or two, depending on my future income level (my wife will be graduating from dental school next year, so a 2nd income will be nice ) For a bit of fun I've been reading up on cars lately, as I honestly don't know a whole lot about them and want to learn more. In my researching, I came across some tC reviews and this website. Unless something else more appealing happens to come out, I think I am already decided :D I like the pricing, the features, and especially the double moonroof!

My brother-in-law is a real car nut and is always modifying his car in some way (my dad too, for that matter.) So whenever I am able to get my new car that I like enough to want to mod, that's definitely what I'm going to be doing. Performance mods first I think, then appearance. I definitely want to do as much of the modifications myself, or with some help from friends (the way I see it, if I can build a computer from a box of parts, I can learn how to tinker with cars too ;)) Which brings me to my relevant questions (sorry 'bout the rambling.)

By the time I plan on purchasing, the supercharger should be out (for a while) and hopefully I can afford it, hehe. Otherwise I'll be going the way of the CAI. My main questions are concerning headers and exhausts. For exhausts, I have read that a cat-back system creates more performance gains than an axle-back. I've seen the cat-back on precisionmuffler.com, and an wondering what exactly "off-road use only" means. Does that mean that the exhaust system would cause you to fail emissions tests, or have any other negative effects that would make your car non-street legal? I have the same question for headers, if I remember correctly the DC sports headers have the same "off-road use only" warning. I'm all about more power, but this will be a daily driver, not a racing car.

For that matter, I also wonder how much extra strain a supercharger puts on an engine. Will it not last as long? One of the big things which appeals to me about the Scion brand is that it is actually Toyota. I gripe about my Corolla, but I do enjoy how reliable it is. I'm the type that would keep a car for 10 or more years, until it falls apart basically. So it needs to last.

I was going to ask some questions concerning further engine modifications, but they've already been mostly answered in the "n/a power questions" thread. I assume that similar changes can be made to a supercharged engine? (ie, are there "easy" modifications that can be done after a supercharger is involved, or are we talking major engine knowledge necessary?)

Thanks for reading my long sting of noobish questions :oops:
Old 12-21-2004, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyotas are going to be tough to tune until somebody "hacks" the current ECU/PCM used in the cars.

I would suggest leaving the simple bolt-ons along and to those not serious about going fast.

I would start saving for either the Greddy turbo kit or TRD Supercharger when its released.

Dollar 4 Dollar is the best upgrade you can make in terms of HP.

You could spend $1500 in bolt-ons and not even come close...

If you looking to make serious HP N/A or serious boosted hp, I would wait, the jury is still out on how the hardcore aftermarket will react to the car.

Of course you can pony up and spend the money to replace the stock pistons and rods, special order.

Getting more power out of the blower is locked up in pulley size but its also dependant on how much fuel you have available. I suspect the TRD blower will have an extra injector like it does with the Corolla/Matrix system.

You're only option for a fuel system upgrade is FMU or fuel pressure regulator (boost dependant) or the electronic solution which is a piggy-back controller like Greddy's E-Manage which I understand is going to be apart of the upcoming Greddy turbo system.

Either way do your research and learn as much as possible.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Street legality Q's (from a newb)

Originally Posted by Chaos_Being
For exhausts, I have read that a cat-back system creates more performance gains than an axle-back. I've seen the cat-back on precisionmuffler.com, and an wondering what exactly "off-road use only" means. Does that mean that the exhaust system would cause you to fail emissions tests, or have any other negative effects that would make your car non-street legal?
The off-road use only disclaimer is there because the system will not pass smog. It will pass Decibal level ratings all over the world, BUT it will not allow you to pass smog. The system takes out the secondary catalytic converter on the system, but its a bolt on system. So you can use it on your tC and take it off for smoging. :D Thats the answer to that question.

Your long post made my head spin.

Old 12-21-2004, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well that answers my question about the exhaust (and indirectly about the headers), thanks! I'm assuming that is a trait for all "cat-back" exhaust systems?

And by "passing smog," do you mean it would fail emissions in all states, or just CA (I know they are strict about emissions,) and I notice you're from CA so I figured you may know .
Old 12-21-2004, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I would suggest leaving the simple bolt-ons along and to those not serious about going fast.
I'd definitley be much more interested in the TRD supercharger vs. a bunch of bolt-ons for sure...just waiting (like everyone else) to find out the final specs for it :?
Old 12-21-2004, 08:41 PM

Well that answers my question about the exhaust (and indirectly about the headers), thanks! I'm assuming that is a trait for all "cat-back" exhaust systems?

And by "passing smog," do you mean it would fail emissions in all states, or just CA (I know they are strict about emissions,) and I notice you're from CA so I figured you may know .
Actually not all catbacks are ileagal, mine is because it removes on of the cats. The tC has two catalytic converters on it, and the secondary converter is removed on mine system. But on other cat back systems they do what the name says, it hooks up to the back of the catalytic converter. I hope this helps. :D

Old 12-22-2004, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Much clearer now, thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 05:08 PM

Much clearer now, thanks
Your welcome, the tC is not a hard car to understand. And help is always available, in fact I came from an 1989 toyota corolla to a scion. :D
piclink:
http://www.precisionmuffler.com/0a8af430.jpg <<<< Stylis's old 89 toyota corolla

Old 12-22-2004, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
an ae92? oh man nothins as good as the 86
Old 12-23-2004, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by hotbox05
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
an ae92? oh man nothins as good as the 86
Thats true but I got the car for $100 from Capitol Toyota in a contest. :D