Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC makes a dragging scraping sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:14 AM

Default tC makes a dragging scraping sound

2006 tC 90k on motor and 45k on tranny, the tranny was replaced due to "grinding in 2nd gear" under warranty, thought i would just throw out that it does have a newer transmission, this was done when the 1st owner had it i am now the second owner for the past 10k miles, now to the story

Ive been hearing this annoying sound coming from the front of the car at lower speeds from a stop up to 25 30
It sounds like my car is dragging something but it is not. It hasnt affected how the car performs and it still runs strong, i love my tC! thats why i want this fixed

it tends to happen from a start and then after i let the car go after accelerating wether fast slow normal, i hear it when i leave the light and when i let go of the throttle, id like to rule out the tranny and clutch a friend and i are going to take a more serious look at everything but i really want feedback to hear what anyone else has to say any help would be appreciated!

Motor mount?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-03-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by the425tc
2006 tc 90k on motor and 45k on tranny, the tranny was replaced due to "grinding in 2nd gear" under warranty, thought i would just throw out that it does have a newer transmission, this was done when the 1st owner had it i am now the second owner for the past 10k miles, now to the story

Ive been hearing this annoying sound coming from the front of the car at lower speeds from a stop up to 25 30
It sounds like my car is dragging something but it is not. It hasnt affected how the car performs and it still runs strong, i love my tc! thats why i want this fixed

it tends to happen from a start and then after i let the car go after accelerating wether fast slow normal, i hear it when i leave the light and when i let go of the throttle, id like to rule out the tranny and clutch a friend and i are going to take a more serious look at everything but i really want feedback to hear what anyone else has to say any help would be appreciated!

Motor mount?
might be a motor mount.. but.. check the dust shield behind the front brake rotors/discs. That has happened before on the tC and it causes a kind of scraping noise. Just pushing it back lightly to bend it will stop it usually. I bet if you drove around in a circle you'd hear it too, I could be wrong but hey it's something to check out.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member

Might want to consider checking wheel bearings too. I had a sound like that too, took it to toyota and they said my wheel bearings are gone.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:39 PM
SL Member

When it happened to me it was the dust shield. just pushed it back and no more noise!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:54 PM

I would check bearings too i heard a similar sound on my old Mitsubishi and it was the bearings
Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A bearing isn't "scraping". The dust shield is "scraping". Push the dust shield back.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:25 AM

bearings were another thought, im gonna try to mess with the dust shield and see if i can push it back and keep it snug. The more i thought about it i now realize it never made the noise until i got my new wheels put on maybe something in the process of when they put on the new tires and mounted the wheels on the car something got snagged, i havent taken a great look at it since ive been working 10s everyday and its been pitch black when i get off work but saturday i plan on playing with the car but as far as i can tell i dont see anything actualy dragging or rubbing on the tires. Ill keep you posted after saturday and thanks for the suggestions!