Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Third brake light

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 PM

Default Third brake light

I have a 2009 tC with 70k miles on it. I took it to Toyota for a routine oil change last week and they let me know that my third brake light it out. Not just one led but the entire strip. This seems extremely odd to me that the entire strip would be out after only having the car for 3 years. They were somewhat in agreement with me, but couldn't offer to do anything since my warranty is expired. Numerous people have told me that the leds should last much longer than this. Toyota quoted me $240 to replace the assembly, which I declined and I plan on doing myself. I am just curious if this has happened to anyone else so soon? I should also mention that at the end of March Toyota replaced the cheap plastic handle on the hatch that snapped off. It seems coincidental to me that my third brake light is now out after they were working in the same area recently. Toyota assured me that this is in no way connected to the brake light. Obviously I have no way to prove that my light was functioning or not functioning when I took it in last time, it just seems fishy to me. Thoughts?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well there's only like 3 LED's inside the strip so it's not like many are out.

You could probably grab another one off Ebay or a scrap yard cheapish, or upgrade to an oznium full LED 3rd brake light.

However, the hatch handle and third brake light are kinda together. It is possible that they didn't plug the harness back together. That's an easy fix if that's the case. Just remove the plastic under the hatch. It's clipped on +2 Phillips screws at the grab handles. This is something you can do yourself, no need to pay a deal ship to do it for you.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd replace it with what Stenger said, with the oznium light for I think about $90? That's much better than the dealership and it lights up the whole bar and not just the center. If you're the diy type, I've got a oznium light with a few broken leds i'll be willing to let go for a fraction of the price, so you can fix it up and spend even less than half of a new light.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would check the brake light's connection to see if the dealership did anything funny.
follow this instruction to take it part.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/full-3rd-brake-light-diy-87977/

I have follow this steps to install the full brake light. It have been working perfect for the pass 6 years.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

same happened to me and they told me it seems to be a common issue with whatever leds toyota used in that light...i just got a full length one from oznium!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by testa422
same happened to me and they told me it seems to be a common issue with whatever leds toyota used in that light...i just got a full length one from oznium!
really? i didn't know those led could go bad. How you like those Oznium?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-26-2018 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Samething happened to me. Oznium.com is good. My first one from them had a few LEDs burn out but I think they fixed the issue.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LEDs do tend to burn out sometimes, despite the fact that their track record is generally pretty good. Depending on how things are wired, and probrably because they are run near their max voltage for brightness, a small voltage spike could cause them to fail. Defects of the components are also possible. Factories crank hundreds of thousands of LEDs out, the odds of a faulty one are there.

I also don't know how they are wired, they could be in series meaning that once one burns out or loses a connection the circuit is broken (meaning no LEDs lighting at all).

I agree with everyone else here, get an oznium full tbl. I've had mine for 2 years with no problems. It looks better and is probrably cheaper than going to the stealership.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GammaTNT
really? i didn't know those led could go bad. How you like those Oznium?
LED's are just like any light, they can go bad.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are 6 total led's inside of the housing, there is a big issue with these and it's not the bulbs most of the time. I had actually opened the unit up myself and found out that there is poor connection in the circuit board where it is soldered together on the end and it gets loose over time and doesnt make connection causing the lights not to work sometimes if you hit the brake light assy with your hand it will work temporary its nothing that can really be fixed unless you feel like using a dremel tool to cut open the bottom of it and re-solder the area. Replacing the rear hatch garnish should not require removing of the third brake light connector so i dont think whoever replaced it on your car before did anything wrong on that part to cause that, but try ebay you can usually find a few for sale on there but it will probably end up with the same issue again later on, mine is actually doing the same thing but i just dont care about it lol
Old 05-16-2012, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd go with a full third brake light if you want to replace the OEM yourself. I have one from Oznium that's been on for more than a year, all good.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RyanstC
there is a big issue with these and it's not the bulbs most of the time. I had actually opened the unit up myself and found out that there is poor connection in the circuit board where it is soldered together on the end and it gets loose over time and doesnt make connection causing the lights not to work sometimes if you hit the brake light assy with your hand it will work temporary its nothing that can really be fixed unless you feel like using a dremel tool to cut open the bottom of it and re-solder the areal
Decided to bump this up to say that I also had the same exact issue and also fixed it as described above. The problem was not the bulbs but instead the connection at the circuit board. Made a hole in the area where the wires go in, added some solder, and put the light back on. It flickered on me as I was installing it, so rather than continue to mess with it, I left it alone and hoped for the best. Has not flickered or went out completely since then. Definitely check that joint before replacing bulbs or assemblies
Old 12-18-2013, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

I work for a Toyota and Scion dealer in the service department and those 3rd brake lights burning out is about as common as people ripping off the hatch garnish back there.
the one thing i can suggest is to order a new from the dealer or a used one from eBay. Theres also a company out there that make a aftermarket one that the hole strip lights up but i can't remember who.

Also if that Toyota dealership is a place you visit regularly, trying to pin the brake light on them since they replaced your garnish which I'm assuming they probably did it for free is a quick way to earn a bad rep in there service department. would not suggest it by any means.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 2009 light failed earlier this year as well (less than 5 years if use). I got mine from a dealership online for $101.50. I figured it was better to pay the extra ten bucks than chance it on the chinese-quality Oznium unit. It is the only problem I've had with the car in over 100,000 miles though (save the hatch handle replaced under warranty) so I can't complain too much.

But, I'll eat my words if the new Toyota part fails in another <5 years.