Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Erager09
I get 28 29 mpg usually. I can't seem to break 30 much. Delaware has 10% ethanol in it and I dunno if its in my head...but theirs a noticable difference when running straight gasoline. Anyone else notice it?
^^ there are a number of different factors that owner/driver of any given car, truck, etc. has control over at least partially, and that can be in either a positve or neg. way, depending on driving habits.
back when I got my 1st tC, I was commuting approx. 60 mies round trip 5 days a week. I'm not an agressive driver 95% of the time. But got tired of forkin' over the cash needed in order to commute that far to/from work.
So I started experimenting on the highway. Here in CO, most of the interstates, and regular highways have a posted speed limit of 75mph.
Being honest just going with the flow of traffic, I usually doin' 80mph.
So, the test that I tried was next tank, filled it all the way up, and then proceeded to simply drive the entire tank on my usual route. but this time, I just stayed in the far right-hand lane of the Interstate and set my cruise-control right at 70mph. Not much of a difference in speeds. At the end of that tank and calculated the info. I was actually pretty shocked how much of a difference a couple mph made. I went from averaging 27mpg normal before, then at the end of the test it worked out to just over 32mpg. Here in CO, I almost never drive lower than 5,000 feet above sea-level. So if you did the same test and you're either at sea-level or just above it... you should see higher numbers than what I can do up here.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

In the following scenarios, all on the same 9hr long trip from mpls to NE OK,

1) Windows down, sunroof open 90% of the way, no AC on, by myself, cruise set at 80-85 the whole way

2) Windows up, AC on, everything else the same as above

3) Wife and son with me along with their bags, winter, heater on, cruise set on 75-80 (they have cracked down a tad more in Iowa!) the whole way

4) Wife and son and all our stuff, AC on windows up cruise set at 75-80

... I have seen a difference of about 2mpg total.

Driving on local trips with lower speed limits, and cruise set at 70mph the whole way, I have seen about the same fluctuation as above, maybe 1 more mpg difference.

Plus, a $200 per year (and that assumes 5mpg improvement driving only highway miles all year at 12,000 miles per year) savings isnt worth driving much slower to me Call me impatient. And in reality, since most dont drive hwy all the time, consider that more like $100 per year.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Domo
I dislike the third break light
i agree with this because mine broke and got me pulled over 2 times! haha. all fixed now with a FTBL!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^i dislike tc's bc we have owners like this homo up here^^^^^

Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^this ___got right here!!!

Old 12-07-2010, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ08tC
i agree with this because mine broke and got me pulled over 2 times! haha. all fixed now with a FTBL!
Yep, same stuff happened to my girl. Fortunately her warranty covered it, twice but it was a hassle the first time around.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
I dislike the complete lack of grammar and intelligence in some of the people posting in here. Seriously doubleas... ??

And automatic.. .sounds like your parents need to stop buying your cars and ask you to grow up at 22 and buy your own Otherwise, dont hate on what they GAVE you.

I dont know why you get such poor mileage russ. I have to REALLY beat on mine to get under 300 a tank. If I hit a test n tune and take 40+ runs around an autox course in a day, that tank will be a bit short, but even in the winter, on winter mix fuel, I still get over 300. Again though, it depends on when you fill it up to measure. You really should go by your mpg calcs, not just fillup amount. Still sitting on a 24-25 mpg average overall since I bought it new. 29-30 on the highway trips. So no to those that say it "Eats gas like crazy"

Like I said, I knew what I was buying and am a bit older, so I dont expect a $50,000 car for $20,000 like a lot of this market does, so the main issue I have ever had was that it doesnt have a telescoping wheel. Would be a bit nicer to get everything adjusted right if it did.
excuse my punctuation/capitalization, i hope you can still make sense out of my post.

well, you sir, need to get over yourself. i believe i explained everything very clearly in my last post. as subtle as you were, no need to get personal now and judge me on my age/intelligence or my lifestyle and my relationship with my parents and whatnot. you simply do not know, nor does it have anything to do with this thread or what i said in my last post. i apologize if i had hurt your fragile ego, but this really isnt about "you vs me, your knowledge vs mine, or your whip vs mine"(im guessing thats where youre headed, its usually routine with you folks). i simply answered the OPs question, and look, inevitably i ran into a "know it all."

we do need people like you on these forums, as i believe you posses some valuable info, but just watch where you apply it. im an engineer myself, and i must say i totally agree with what you said about the dilemmas of fixing everything on my "dislike list," but your point is simply irrelevant. may i repeat myself - this thread isnt about engineering a new tC, so screw the technicalities and just keep the damn list going! duH!

good day, buddy. GoooooOd dayyy! =)

as for the OP, im sorry i may be spamming a perfectly good thread, so allow me to add on a few things:

-stock tires were WEAK. i believe theyre $200/tire Yokos, but ive bought much better for almost half the price.

-panoramic glass sunroof. as much as i enjoy it, i was told it weighs a whopping 160 lbs! makes the car top-heavy. BUT let me explain myself, im not complaining, i can live with that. i'd still much rather have the sunroof as opposed to having a lighter car with no sunroof.
^ i gotta explain these things on these forums before someone decides to be a dick about it.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree.
Those stock tires are not very good.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:01 AM

I dislike the complete lack of grammar
dont dont doesnt
i can see..lol..its the internet, i'm ____ing serious..
Old 12-08-2010, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i dislike my car because it is not a supra =(
Old 12-08-2010, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still laugh at most of the complaints. In the same post above, viper wants more power, yet complains about gas mileage The power it has already plus the shorter gearing (on the manuals) is what makes it fun to drive... and what costs in the way of gas mileage.

And welcome to new cars... everyone wants every gadget known to man and all the kiddies cry if the car doesnt get a million star crash rating.. then they get upset when it weighs more. That is why all new cars weigh more each year.

On the auto.... well.. .dont buy an auto.

On the 6 speed... some are already complaining about the gearing on the new tC with the 6 speed No one is ever happy. The 5 spd works well and is geared short enough so that you always have useable power (you can pass in 5th). If it wasnt like that , you would get better mileage and then people would complain because it wasnt quick enough.

And everyone screams about no rear wiper... then you find cars that come with them and people go out of their way to delete the rear wiper. I can honestly say I have never needed a rear wiper on my tC and would think it was ugly if it had one.

And just how much more power do you "think" the 2.4 liter engine should make? It made more than its class when it came out and still is way up there for the N/A engines its size. Toyota tried to meet all these unrealistic demands on the tC2 ... and guess what? It has just enough extra power to haul the added weight around at the same performance of the first gen... since everyone wanted cheap, more power, more stuff, etc. This market is really an impossible one to please for the most part.
You deserve an Oscar.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@ viper2788 - you're an idiot. i'm surprised engifineer still posts here with all of the retards trolling these forums. he's one of the few left here that actually contributes meaningful & correct information.

get back under your bridge.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by serith
@ viper2788 - you're an idiot. i'm surprised engifineer still posts here with all of the retards trolling these forums. he's one of the few left here that actually contributes meaningful & correct information.

get back under your bridge.

correct info, yes. meaningful? no.

i dont need to know what items on my "dislike list" conflict with each other and how it wouldnt fit the budget and whatnot.

thats all i pointed out, and the dude tries to insult my personal life. then my grammar/punctuation. and so forth.

fck your bridge, how about we all just get back on topic.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ummm ok kids (who apparently didn't read before they got all in a hissy)

1) I specifically stated that I was talking to doubleas(828? or whatever) IN MY POST regarding grammar. I could care less about a punctuation mark, but that cluster fvck of a Johnny Ricer Gangsta talk post made zero sense.
I dislike the complete lack of grammar and intelligence in some of the people posting in here. Seriously doubleas... ??
2) I was referring to automatic08tc (wow... I even said that in my post!!!!) regarding coming on with a childish bash post and then saying his parents GAVE him the car.
And automatic.. .sounds like your parents need to stop buying your cars and ask you to grow up at 22 and buy your own Otherwise, dont hate on what they GAVE you.
So obviously I was not aiming one part of my post at you Viper (unless you are saying you are also the other two I mentioned??)... so maybe read a little closer before getting all in a crying fit over something??

Amazing that people will get that butt hurt over things that were not even addressed to them!

And replacing the whole glass roof assembly with CF saves approx 70 lbs. You can look that up on this site from when Rick (raamaudio) did his track build tC . Still 70 lbs, but way less than what everyone seems to think it weighs.

Last edited by engifineer; 12-08-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Ummm ok kids (who apparently didn't read before they got all in a hissy)

1) I specifically stated that I was talking to doubleas(828? or whatever) IN MY POST regarding grammar. I could care less about a punctuation mark, but that cluster fvck of a Johnny Ricer Gangsta talk post made zero sense.

2) I was referring to automatic08tc (wow... I even said that in my post!!!!) regarding coming on with a childish bash post and then saying his parents GAVE him the car.

So obviously I was not aiming one part of my post at you Viper... so maybe read a little closer before getting all in a crying fit over something??

Amazing that people will get that butt hurt over things that were not even addressed to them!

And replacing the whole glass roof assembly with CF saves approx 70 lbs. You can look that up on this site from when Rick (raamaudio) did his track build tC . Still 70 lbs, but way less than what everyone seems to think it weighs.
"doubleas" - didnt know that was a username, it just sounded like a typo insult to me just by context

and "automatic" happens to be my transmission, also thought you were referring to me by context.

well then, my apologies. I read through carefully, just didnt pick up on the usernames.. perhaps you should be a bit more specific next time.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

engifineer made perfect sense to me... i don't think he needed to be any more specific. you sir, got defensive and only read what you thought was him referring to you.

as long as everything is ok now and everyone realizes this was simply a silly misunderstanding, then let's leave it as it is and get back to topic.

speaking of, the post engifineer was referring to as far as grammar... wow... i will quote this response that pretty much relates to how i feel about it as well.

Originally Posted by FlintMica2005
WTF IS THIS??

im ashamed you live on the same island as me, kill yourself.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love my tc for what it is. I came from a Lexus sc400, some call it a downgrade. Only thing I dislike is just about every Honda in Houston pulling up to me and revving their engine...
Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I truthfully can't think of anything I dislike about my tc. I upgraded from a 96 P.O.S Jetta that only ran wen it wanted.lol ^ But I agree, every1 from boosted stangs to mini vans seems to want to race my stock 4 banger. WTF??lol