2005-2010 [ANT10]

What's normal Engine Temp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What's normal Engine Temp?

Hey All,
I let someone drive my tC today and pointed out that the temperature in the temperature gauge was beyond the halfway point (I'll check tomorrow to have a better estimate). I haven't really noticed before but when I look at my camry, the temperature is at or below half. It's been a pretty cool day and this is only after I've had the car running for 30 minutes or so.

I'm still learning about cars so hope this doesn't make me sound too stupid, but what is it suppose to be? Is a bit past half normal for the tC? How high should it be before I need to worry?
Old 10-04-2004, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Mine sits at half when fully warmed up.

I think I'd be alarmed if it ever hits or goes past the line closest to the Hot Area.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine always gets up to half pretty fast and stays there. My fan seems to come on quite often to keep it at half thanks to the wonderful LA heat. I'll see what it does if the weather cools off in the next few weeks.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

a lil under half way..

i think the car idles at 110 degrees and drives at 103 or 95 sumting lik that. i could b wrong
Old 10-04-2004, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine is about 1/3 from cold when full warm.. i talked to the dealer about this engine and why it's so much hotter running than my civic.. he told me that the camry engines used to be cold.. and that led to the infamous oil-gelling problem that ruined a lot of cars.. not to mention make owners angry...

but the engine runs a lot hotter so that oil gelling cannot happen.. you'll probably notice your cooling fan comes on a lot.. so it's normal.. it'll pay off when the snow comes! lol.. this thing is warm to the touch 4-5 hours after parking! no snow on my car.. lol
Old 10-04-2004, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Oil Gelling

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
mine is about 1/3 from cold when full warm.. i talked to the dealer about this engine and why it's so much hotter running than my civic.. he told me that the camry engines used to be cold.. and that led to the infamous oil-gelling problem that ruined a lot of cars.. not to mention make owners angry...

but the engine runs a lot hotter so that oil gelling cannot happen.. you'll probably notice your cooling fan comes on a lot.. so it's normal.. it'll pay off when the snow comes! lol.. this thing is warm to the touch 4-5 hours after parking! no snow on my car.. lol
Great, thanks everyone, especially sciontc_mich. Glad to know nothing is wrong with my baby. Problem with a hot engine though, no snow but will be lots of ice :? . Hope the ice doesn't hurt my paint.