Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Who's got the Extended Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the Platinum package and I also prepaid financing through 55k. By the time the regular warranty runs out, I hope I've met someone, bought a house, and thinking about making babies. I don't want to have to worry about car issues at the same time.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Originally Posted by [LGS
Static]
You can add the extendend warranty at ANY time up untill your regular warranty runs out.
I don't know about your Scion dealership's policy, but at the one where I bought my tC, they make you sign a waiver if you don't buy the extended warranty at the time of the automobile purchase, which indicates you will not have a chance to buy the extended warranty at a later time.
That is OUTRAGEOUS you should call Toyota or Scion or someones head office and tell someone about that. I was told by the sales manager at the dealership I used that you have "by law" 90 days to decide if you want to buy the extended warrenty, that "it's the law to stop people being pressured into a purchase"...

(please note the above quotes are what he said, I have no idea, excpet that it sounds fishy) he had no reason to tell me that so I tend to believe him)
Old 07-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I got it...because of the amount I drive. The regular warranty will be gone in a year and a half for me
Old 07-21-2005, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

I bought the extended warranty with my TC because it clearly states in the warranty if I don't use it, I get the cost of the warranty returned to me minus a $50.00 admin fee. Seems like no great risk. Doesn't add a great deal to the monthly payment anyways.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to derail the topic, but I had the the platinum warranty on my corolla, and for some reason, they wouldn't cover the power window motor, charcoal canister, or belt tensioner..all of which are supposed to be covered. think there's anything I can do for a reimbursement? if we were reimbursed for all of that, that'd be around another 1g to put down on my tC.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Who's got the Extended Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty?

Originally Posted by orangechicken
Is it worth getting? And if you got it how much did u get it for? When I bought my '06 TC 3 days ago the finance guy said he was hooking me up with a "Toyota Platinum" 7 year warranty for $2195 with no tax. Did I get a good deal? I can cancel the warranty if I want within 2 months stated by California Law.

that seems a bit steap. we charge the $1200 that is on Scion dot com. (that is for the zero deductable) maybe you can ask for the difference back good luck..

check your dealership's web page and make sure they advertise the price they charged you first.

(remember: Pure Pricing means that the dealers posted and advertised prices MUST match the price you pay. It DOESNT mean dealerships HAVE TO charge prices on Scion dot com.)
Old 07-21-2005, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

hmmmm, got mine for 1275...platinum package. seemed like a good buy onli cuz of all the extra crap that comes with it. like toyota renting a car for u, and paying u $50.00 a day if u are a certain distance away from ur dealer. thas real sick...anyway...wuznt my choice. Mi padre paid out of his pocket for that part. so i aint complainin...besides...i just had a whole new transmission dropped into my car with onli 8500 miles on it. i figure any warranty is worth it.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pacent
You are basically betting on something breaking in your car...not sure if its a wise investment.

If you think your car is going to break, then why buy that particular car in the first place.
Everything breaks. Every car manufacturer sells extended warranties. Does that make all cars bad?

You are right, you are betting on whether or not something will break. I have had both good (factory extended warranties) and bad (third party) experiences. I suspect the Scion warrantey is pretty good, but I did not buy it yet. I was told at the dealership that I have up until the factory warranty is up to buy it.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member

*nods*

Play the ponies on this one, guys - drive the car for a year. If you've got problems, go shell out the money for the warranty. If your car runs smoothly, don't bother. The extended warranty is only worth the dime if you actually run into problems - otherwise, you're throwing money away.

I've got a good independant mechanic - wear-and-tear not covered under warranty (things like CV joints and fluid changes) I already get fairly cheaply through an independant, ASC certified guy who doesn't void warranties when working on my car. Warranties cover big repairs.. and it'd have to be a fairly major one not to be covered by insurance (body damage) and still cover that hefty grand-and-a-half based on independant mechanic's rates.

yes - getting your car fixed at the dealer, you'd see returns quickly. Blow a water pump early, though, and my mechanic will run you $120 or so, at most. That's not worth $1300 up front financed for 5 years.

Grimm
Old 07-21-2005, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JGrimm
*nods*

Play the ponies on this one, guys - drive the car for a year. If you've got problems, go shell out the money for the warranty. If your car runs smoothly, don't bother. The extended warranty is only worth the dime if you actually run into problems - otherwise, you're throwing money away.

I've got a good independant mechanic - wear-and-tear not covered under warranty (things like CV joints and fluid changes) I already get fairly cheaply through an independant, ASC certified guy who doesn't void warranties when working on my car. Warranties cover big repairs.. and it'd have to be a fairly major one not to be covered by insurance (body damage) and still cover that hefty grand-and-a-half based on independant mechanic's rates.

yes - getting your car fixed at the dealer, you'd see returns quickly. Blow a water pump early, though, and my mechanic will run you $120 or so, at most. That's not worth $1300 up front financed for 5 years.

Grimm
good for you. but that doesn't solve the problem for most that don't have a mechanic at their whim.

You state "The extended warranty is only worth the dime if you actually run into problems - otherwise, you're throwing money away."

um duh. so your telling us we should not carry auto or life insurance because that is a waste of money too? I haven't been in an accident (or died) and have paid thousands in premiums over the years towards the 'possibility of problems'... Unless you are God and can predict nothing bad will ever happen, warranties and such are a good thing for the unexpected.

It really depends if you are going to keep your car after the warranty period or not. If you are going to trade/sell your car off before the 36k don't buy the extended.

I get a new car when the factory warranty runs out. I got the extended and auto care programs 'just in case' I hit a hard time and had to keep my car for longer then expected. To me it is worth the extra $12.37 a month on my payments. You can always transfer the warranty, or make it a selling point when time to get rid of your car.

I say get the warranty if you can afford it. You take a chance if you can't.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by motozen

You state "The extended warranty is only worth the dime if you actually run into problems - otherwise, you're throwing money away."

um duh. so your telling us we should not carry auto or life insurance because that is a waste of money too? I haven't been in an accident (or died) and have paid thousands in premiums over the years towards the 'possibility of problems'... Unless you are God and can predict nothing bad will ever happen, warranties and such are a good thing for the unexpected.

It really depends if you are going to keep your car after the warranty period or not. If you are going to trade/sell your car off before the 36k don't buy the extended.

I get a new car when the factory warranty runs out. I got the extended and auto care programs 'just in case' I hit a hard time and had to keep my car for longer then expected. To me it is worth the extra $12.37 a month on my payments. You can always transfer the warranty, or make it a selling point when time to get rid of your car.

Its just that you're more of a risk adverse person then JGrimm is. Nothing wrong with that at all.

If you're looking at it strictly from a monetary point of view, it is not advantageous of you to purchase any kind of warranty or insurance. Sure, a few people might take a hit because of not buying insurance, but the majority of the people will save money overall.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JGrimm
*nods*

Grimm
good for you. but that doesn't solve the problem for most that don't have a mechanic at their whim.

I hardly think life insurance and a car extended warranty are similar.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol sure it is... if you and your car is around long enough you will both get old and die... You both need coverage

you=hospital/medicine/funeral....

car=trip to service for repair

I should of said health insurance then life insurance....

don't say what you said to herby fans out there. You will hurt their feelings.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its just that you're more of a risk adverse person then JGrimm is. Nothing wrong with that at all.

If you're looking at it strictly from a monetary point of view, it is not advantageous of you to purchase any kind of warranty or insurance. Sure, a few people might take a hit because of not buying insurance, but the majority of the people will save money overall.
What? risk adverse? nah, like I said, it is worth it if you got the dough. If you are going to keep your car till it dies, you might think very hard on getting the extended....
Old 07-21-2005, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are similar...both just forms of insurance.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What? risk adverse? nah, like I said, it is worth it if you got the dough. If you are going to keep your car till it dies, you might think very hard on getting the extended....
if you got the dough to pay for the car repair, then its not worth it. Buying insurance is always a bad bet, because in the end, the insurance company has to make money to stay in business. You are gambling that your car will break down so the insurance (warranty in this case) will pay for the repairs, or in the case of fire insurance, you are gambling that your house will catch fire so the insurance company will pay you for the damages.

Some people buy insurance/warranties just so they can sleep better at night. I suppose thats worth something as well.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you got the dough to pay for the car repair, then its not worth it. Buying insurance is always a bad bet, because in the end, the insurance company has to make money to stay in business. You are gambling that your car will break down so the insurance (warranty in this case) will pay for the repairs, or in the case of fire insurance, you are gambling that your house will catch fire so the insurance company will pay you for the damages.

Some people buy insurance/warranties just so they can sleep better at night. I suppose thats worth something as well.
hehe that is the point of getting warranty. I'd rather pay 1300 bucks then 5000 in added repairs that could come up
Old 07-21-2005, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member

*grins*

In my case, it wasn't an extra $12 a month - GAP insurance + Platinum Coverage was almost $50/month!

Bah, says I.

And don't forget, by not buying that insurance outright, not only are you spending, say.. $1500 on the coverage, but you're financing $1500 for five years at your interest rate.. which costs even more money ... and it puts you that much farther in negative equity on your car.

*shrugs*

My only thing is - you're under warranty. Why not wait a year and see if you need it rather than finance it at 5.4% or worse? And... what on earth is going to run you 5-large to fix? A rebuild on an automatic tranny's about the most expensive single thing I can imagine having to do to a car under warranty, and that's barely $2-1/2 large from a dealer mechanic, last I checked. Yeah, it's expensive.. but having to do that under 100k miles is about unheard of, unless you're ragging out the car.. .and that's not covered anyway.

Collisions and glass and the rest are all insurance claims, keep in mind.

edit: I may be biased - my last car was an Explorer with nearly 400k miles on it, hard-used. The only major repair in that car's life was a tranny rebuild.. sure, I've replaced one water pump and several alternators, and routine maintenance... but if you take care of a car, major mechanical faults like a cracked block or a thrown rod really just... don't happen very often.

Grimm
Old 07-21-2005, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm glad so many people knew the answers about the warranty, but where were you guys when I signed up for it? I think I'm glad the salesman reminded me and pushed me towards it. But I wasn't going to buy it because"ohh its a toyota and it doesn't need it, right??" But my friend that I brought along with me and the salesman were just like get it. Me, I hate interest rates, and when you add all this stuff it makes five or ten dollars in monthly interest for their profit. But hey it protects your toyota?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I purchased the platinum warranty from toyota because a similar insurance saved me many times the cost on a previous car. I can't remember the exact price but I think it was around 1600. I haven't read through the details but there is supposed to be some sort of rebate if I don't use the warranty at all before it runs out. And I think it is transferable too, so if I sell the car in the 4th year I can tell the potential buyer "it comes with 3 more years of bumper to bumper".

Quick Reply: Who's got the Extended Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty?