Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Yet another hatch rattle fix!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member

Default Yet another hatch rattle fix!!

After taking my TC into the dearlership for the second time, the service manager states he found the problem. the hatch support cylinoids. Rather than get into a long conversation about how that is not going to help, as many of you have stated it does not fix the problem, I decided to see if I could fix it. I started by pulling off the black plastic hatch panel and placing peel and seal over the entire area. After a test drive, the peal and seal help alot with the small rattles but did not get rid of the loud "clunking" sound that plagues the passenger side hatch. I then decided to stuff towels in various places to try and get rid of the clunk. After placing a towel under the passenger side hatch lift I drove all day today, about 4 hours, over bumpy road without one clunk. I have not been able to rid myself of all minor rattles here and there, but atleast the clunking is gone.

It rained today and the towel is soaking wet. I am trying to figure out a more long term solution that wont stand out to much. If anyone has any ideas please share. I hope this helps others with their rattles.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member

Been there, done that. Thanks anyway! I'm starting to wonder what would happen if I pour some cooking oil into the hatch, light it on fire and wait for that popcorn to pop. Maybe the rattle will be gone then?
Old 10-07-2005, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

SON OF A BIATCH!!! Thats what that noise is!! finally i realized it. no wonder every time i hit a bump i hear like some kind of noise. it sound kinda like when you hit or press down on a shock. holy crap. thanks alot.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member

I drove around some more today over many a bumpy road and still clunk free from the hatch. I am going to disassemble more panels this weekend and put more peel and seal down to hopefully quiet the car more. divadax, too bad the fix didnt work on your car. From the many posts, it sounds as if everyone is having the same sound from the same location in the hatch, however not all solutions work for all cars, very strange.