Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

"clicking" or something in steering..

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member

Default "clicking" or something in steering..

I have noticed while driving my girls 06 TC that when you turn the wheel there is a feeling in the steering wheel.. You don't hear anything but you can feel like its hitting something.. I feel like it would make a clicking sound if it made a noise but like i said it doesnt.. you will turn the wheel and feel like a bump.. i dont recall ever feeling it before.. just wondering if anyone else has this or knows what might be causing this..
Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just had the same exact in mine (2010) tc over the past 30 days. I haven't sorted it out yet, but from everything I have read it is one of these 3 Items:

Bad Wheel bearings
Bad strut or strut bearings
Bad cv axle.

Please post up a resolution if you ever get it fixed. That way I can follow up as well.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my opinion it seems that you have a cv axle going bad. Get under the car and look if the boot has any damage and if its leaking. You may also check the struts whether there is any kind of leakage.

A bad wheel bearing would make a constant screeching noise and it would change its tone when you turn the steering wheel.

Does the car have any kind of aftermarket suspension parts?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by picia
In my opinion it seems that you have a cv axle going bad. Get under the car and look if the boot has any damage and if its leaking. You may also check the struts whether there is any kind of leakage.

A bad wheel bearing would make a constant screeching noise and it would change its tone when you turn the steering wheel.

Does the car have any kind of aftermarket suspension parts?
no seal damage, no grease residue on cv, no leaking from struts, stock suspension, 86k miles 2010 tc.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If everything is stock and the cv is ok then try checking the tie rods and steering rack.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just took it in for an alignment. It took the majority of the click feel out. Makes no sense to me, but it fixed it for now. Mechanic could see nothing wrong at all with CV, bearings, rack, etc.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I'm glad that you got the problem solved without dropping tons of money.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could've been the clips on the end of the steering rack rubber bellows. Those clips are supposed to be loosened and readjusted into place after an alignment. I bet they didn't do that and this new mechanic did.

Another thing to look for is a post I put up a couple years ago about tightening the chassis bolts and nuts. the tc has an issue of loosening up it's bolts and nuts. they didn't use locking nuts on a lot of the chassis bolts. as crazy as it sounds it's true. might need to go in and tighten up all those nuts/bolts with a good torque wrench. things could be shifting around.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@sciontc_mich Thanks! I have never checked them. I have a loud noise coming from... well my whole car. I thought it was my tires but do you think it could be loose bolts? I'm going to look into it this weekend but I'm just wondering what your opinion.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by picia
@sciontc_mich Thanks! I have never checked them. I have a loud noise coming from... well my whole car. I thought it was my tires but do you think it could be loose bolts? I'm going to look into it this weekend but I'm just wondering what your opinion.
you're welcome! There are many chassis to frame braces under the car that's one reason why our car is so heavy, lots of reinforcements! but the first place to check is all the chassis bolts/nuts then go from there. You'll definitely need a torque wrench to do all this plus I put up the post, link below it'll explain it all. Once you do all that, then see if your noise is still there, could be the tires, but don't know til you do all the other stuff first.

here's the link to my post I put up a couple years ago..
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141734
Old 12-10-2013, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate to bring this up again, but sciontc mich is 100% correct on this post.

My tc finally went back to the Toyota dealer again for the clicking. After 2 hours, they still found "nothing". I asked about torque settings on the chassis, and they said that there was "no reason" to check them.

I told them that there was "no reason for me to pay them" then, so they checked the torque settings.

Lo and behold, I had loose chassis bolts. All tightened up, and the "pop" is gone.

Let this be a warning to all that haven't tightened their chassis and cradle bolts. DO IT!!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by racrboy
I hate to bring this up again, but sciontc mich is 100% correct on this post.

My tc finally went back to the Toyota dealer again for the clicking. After 2 hours, they still found "nothing". I asked about torque settings on the chassis, and they said that there was "no reason" to check them.

I told them that there was "no reason for me to pay them" then, so they checked the torque settings.

Lo and behold, I had loose chassis bolts. All tightened up, and the "pop" is gone.

Let this be a warning to all that haven't tightened their chassis and cradle bolts. DO IT!!!!
Im glad that my post could help you out! awesome news!

Yeah I just checked mine this year, since I check them once a year. They were still snug but after this long "nature's own loctite" has taken over the threads.. aka RUSTED IN PLACE! lol.. so kinda good now they won't move on their own anymore!