Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Dangerous steering issue is dangerous!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member

Default Dangerous steering issue is dangerous!

I haven't been on this forum in years but I think I may be able to get an answer to my question.

I own a 2007 tc with about 166K miles. I have recently noticed an issue that many other tc owners are having. The steering jerks from once side to the other when going over uneven pavement of any kind. Bumpy roads in Alabama, it's even worse. When in a curve on the interstate, it's at its worst. I've seen many threads related to my issue but I'm not finding an answer that is satisfying. I just had new tires put on the car and they are rotated and balanced. I just had an alignment and tire rods put on the passenger side. Just to clarify, I'm not having a vibration problem. It's a violent random jerk in the steering. I'm assuming that this isn't related to alignments, balancing or warped rotors due to the following: When I jack the passenger side of the car up, with the when off the ground, and put a hand on each side of the wheel, I can rock slightly to the left and the right. When I do the same to the driver's side, that wheel wont move. That is the bit of information I didn't see in any of my searches.

So if anyone has any idea what's causing this, I would greatly appreciate it you sharing.
Thank you.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ryomanmkiii
When I jack the passenger side of the car up, with the when off the ground, and put a hand on each side of the wheel, I can rock slightly to the left and the right. When I do the same to the driver's side, that wheel wont move.
Signs of a bad wheel bearing on the passenger side wheel. At 166K miles your wheels bearings could be super bad. Wheel bearings wear out depending on the road conditions you frequently drive on, if you hit things (potholes, curbs, etc), and how thin (low profile) your tires are.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member

Correction: The car has 116k miles but honestly I don't think that really matter regarding the problem. Like you say, road conditions affect wear on the suspension differently. In Birmingham, the road suck. I think all this started after hitting a pothole that was on the 65 South 41st Exit. I'm starting to lean towards the wheel bearing myself, though I can't say that I hear any constant noise that's associated with it, but I don't hear these occasional clicks when stopping, accelerating, turning, etc. I'm going to take it to Toyota in the morning and let the technician look at it. I'll post the finding.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any update? I have a pop feel in my tc1 with 90k on it at low speeds.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member

I have a same "pop" in my steering when turning the wheel, but no random jerk on the road yet.. 125k miles