Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

fix my p/s or depower my rack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default fix my p/s or depower my rack?

so i had to cut off a messed up motor mount bolt cut it slipped and nicked my power steering pressure line. needless to say i have NO fluid and NO power steering. i have to drive it for a whole week like this. so i was gonan keep adding fluid to atleast keep the pump lubricated until the weekend (even though it spills right out) and wondering if i should just depower my rack and delete my p/s like this. the pressure lines 75$ and a new pumps around 130$. all this just to cut a bolt out....fml.
thoughts?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do it right. No p.s is going to screw you. You can't really DD a car with no power steering. Maybe a drag car but not a regular car. Bite the bullet and learn from it I guess.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't really mind it really. many people drive cars without power steering, some car even come from factory with no p/s.
i just wanted some peoples opinions on running the pump basically dry for a week and if it'll survive if not prolly gonna just depower the rack.
just really trying to get some feedback on my situation
Old 01-30-2012, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Erager09
Do it right. No p.s is going to screw you. You can't really DD a car with no power steering. Maybe a drag car but not a regular car. Bite the bullet and learn from it I guess.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
Haha bull____. Go hit the gym. I dd a truck with a manual rack and have a rx7 with a depowered rack. It's easy to drive. OP if you want increased handling feel I'd go depowered. You have a much more precise feel of the road. At least with my rx7. But that's my opinion!

Sent from Somewhere using Something.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hayseed
Haha bull____. Go hit the gym. I dd a truck with a manual rack and have a rx7 with a depowered rack. It's easy to drive. OP if you want increased handling feel I'd go depowered. You have a much more precise feel of the road. At least with my rx7. But that's my opinion!

Sent from Somewhere using Something.
haha thanks yea i know plenty of people with depowered/manual racks. if this pump doesn't last, a smaller belt is alot cheaper than 200$ +.
id like to keep it if i can but if the pump goes ___ it. lol
any opinions on filling the reservoir with about a pint once or twice a day to atleast keep the pump decently lubricated?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, its not bad driving without ps at all. ive had multiple cars without power steering, and drove it just the same as the ones with power steering.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why ghetto rig it up? Do it right, fix it. Pretty simple.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I broke my ps pump and driving it dry won't work for long. the pump seized and the pulley kept spinning and actually ripped the stud that connects the pulley to the pump in half. even if you put a little fluid in there it won't save it for long. our steering racks weren't designed to run without a pump so if you delete the pump you risk blowing your rack out too costing you more money in the end. Just find a rebuilt pump for maybe $100 from and local place and change it out. Fair warning though it's a _____ cause you'll have to partially drop the passenger side of your subframe
Old 01-30-2012, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As long as the rack has PS fluid in it to keep it lubricated, or you take it apart and grease it like that post showed youll be fine. I drove my car for about 3-4 months without PS due to a bad pump. Wasnt that bad really, but eventually decided to buy a new pump and fix it.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crg5990
I broke my ps pump and driving it dry won't work for long. the pump seized and the pulley kept spinning and actually ripped the stud that connects the pulley to the pump in half. even if you put a little fluid in there it won't save it for long. our steering racks weren't designed to run without a pump so if you delete the pump you risk blowing your rack out too costing you more money in the end. Just find a rebuilt pump for maybe $100 from and local place and change it out. Fair warning though it's a _____ cause you'll have to partially drop the passenger side of your subframe
I understand what your saying but my pump is 100% working unlike yours. So I wanna know how long a healthy pump will last dry. I cut my pressure line on accident with a dremel. I just need to know if two days is too long about 80 miles
Old 02-03-2012, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My pump went cause I had a hole in my line I didn't know about and it eventually burnt the pump out.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i replaced the line 2 days ago. power steerings back but i have a faint noise when turning. gonna give it like another week maybe there's air in the line. if not ill try one of those power steering flush/protect kits. if all else fails i'll just have to live with the noise until my pump eventually burns out. btw that lines a ____ to do lol
Old 02-04-2012, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depowering would not give you that bigger of a handling difference. It would also not be the same as a manual rack because it's not a manual rack. Manual steering does not equal racecar. Glad to see you fixed it, from the sound there is likely air in the line. Take the cap off the reservoir and turn the wheels side to side for 10 mins and you'll be fine.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
Depowering would not give you that bigger of a handling difference. It would also not be the same as a manual rack because it's not a manual rack. Manual steering does not equal racecar. Glad to see you fixed it, from the sound there is likely air in the line. Take the cap off the reservoir and turn the wheels side to side for 10 mins and you'll be fine.
Already tried bleeding the line like you said with front wheels up. Also wasn't goin for racecar status just whatever was cheaper and depowering a rack is usually more comfortable (from what I read) due to the gearing. And yea after depowering it essentially it would be a manual rack because everything that made it power would be removed. Depowering it the ghetto way (looping lines/using power steering fluid) would SUCKKK.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I should clarify, there are DIFFERENCES between a true manual rack, and a power steering rack. Depowering a powered steering rack does not make it the same as a manual rack.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I should clarify, there are DIFFERENCES between a true manual rack, and a power steering rack. Depowering a powered steering rack does not make it the same as a manual rack.
well obviously that goes unsaid, that's like saying when an escalator is without power it's stairs....it is but its not the same as a normal set of stairs.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplylibet
well obviously that goes unsaid, that's like saying when an escalator is without power it's stairs....it is but its not the same as a normal set of stairs.
You wouldn't believe how many people will see this because of google, poor searching, or simply do not understand and will do this as a "mod" in the future. Spreading good information will prevent someone from doing such.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You wouldn't believe how many people will see this because of google, poor searching, or simply do not understand and will do this as a "mod" in the future. Spreading good information will prevent someone from doing such.
for someone who is used to manual steering and wanted it on the tc and to free up 2-3whp....yes this is a mod. for everyone? no. would i advise it for dd? depends. i'd dd it, many probably wouldn't. I've driven my friends civic with a depowered rack and my other friends stock civic (both '92) and they feel very similar if not the same. this was an idea that i haven't seen in the scion scene just wondering if anyone had done it and their input. miata's and rx7's have been doing this for years with great success.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sadly the "scion scene" is much like the honda scene. And you would never once feel the 2-3 hp the motor might have free'd up by taking off the power steering system. It would calculate to .5 whp.

Edit: Miata's and (super performance LOL) RX7's are completely different then a Scion tC. I'm not saying anything bad about you personally, but the idea overall is horrible advice.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is the only person i have seem so far who has no power steering or ac in their tc. i still stand by it, it's definitely an option that some people might like and some might think it's stupid and unnecessary. it's basically the same as balance shaft deletes and their gains.