Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Grinding noise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 PM

Default Grinding noise.

Hey everyone, I been reading the forums the past week or two for this issue and I can't seem to find it.

Anyways, all I have done to my suspension are TRD Lowering Springs, with TRD rear sway bar (set to stiffest setting). w/ OEM struts.

So on one of my streets (and only this street) when I take a hard right, while im braking in the corner, my rear brakes or atleast I think its the brakes, makes some sort of girding noise. When I take the same corner at the same speed without braking, there is no noise. (I don't really look down to see my speed but its probably 20 - 30 mph since i'm slowing down from 45.

My car has 13.5k miles and I have never changed the brake pads, but they don't make any noise under regular driving, or even aggressive driving, just that street on that corner, I have no idea what is causing this so I would like some advice from you folks.

Also this grinding noise does not effect my handling and I do not loose any sort of control when I hear it and the grinding noise does NOT happen every single time. Just sometimes.

Thank you in advance.

OH I also wanted to add, that everything was installed properly and torqued to the required specs.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just hit 40k miles and still have orig pads. They were at about 50% maybe at the beginning of summer. But im mostly highway and downshift alot.

But im sure everyone uses them at different rates based on their driving

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 PM

Ah, thanks for the reply. As far as braking goes, I only downshift when I want to brake better. Usually I would just brake and throw the car in neutral. But I need to check up on them next time I rotate my tires. They may very well be my problem.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) don't brake while you're turning
2) brake pads are cheaper than your driveline. The brakes on the tC work very well, no need to downshift to help braking.
3) if you hear grinding in a turn, look at your front bearings(I know you said it was coming from the rear. I thought my front bearing was rear alignment)

If you do have a beak problem, check them now.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by mrexotica
2) brake pads are cheaper than your driveline. The brakes on the tC work very well, no need to downshift to help braking.
3) if you hear grinding in a turn, look at your front bearings(I know you said it was coming from the rear. I thought my front bearing was rear alignment)

Yeah usually I don't brake through turns, but there are times I do. And as to your #2 statement thats why I usually brake instead of downshift. But on the canyons breaking while downshifting helps a lot. So thanks for those two pointers.

as of your third quote, the only reason why I am strongly assuming the rear is because there is a bit of vibrations too, from the rear right, to be exact, its not noise, I can actually feel the rear right vibrate a bit.

However I am still going to check the front bearings, just to make sure. Thanks for the help man.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah. Somehow, those noises can do some ventriloquism some times!
Old 11-11-2011, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a grinding noise too! I just installed TRD front brake pads and they sounds great until I get to the lower speeds. The last 20 mph or so, it sounds like a slight grinding. It has only been 140 miles or so and at least half of that has been on the highway but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue w/TRD or any other brake pad. I should be dismantling this weekend to find the culprit but curious if anyone has had a related issue after installing new pads!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrexotica

I have a grinding issue too and I'm thinking it must be my brakes since my braking distance seems to suck now. Also, when I turn I get that grinding sound but where are these bearings I am supposed to check and what am I supposed to look out for? and what is that beak problem you mentioned?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

grinding when u turn usually denotes a wheel bearing at fault, i'd get it checked ASAP before your entire HUB assembly goes .... then its more than just a $300 install.

to check if your wheel bearing is going bad, jack up your car until the wheel is off the ground, and grab the wheel and try to wiggle it side to side, as if you were trying to turn the wheels not rotate / spin it.

if it wobbles quite a bit, would usually mean 1- you didn't tighten down the lugs enough, tighten it and try again. 2 - if it is tight, your wheel bearing is going.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check your dust shield.....I had a "grinding" issue too and I changed my pads to TRD and the grinding continued.....finally figured out dust shield hitting rotor. Kind of crazy but with only 13.5K on it, technically should not be a bearing issue. That, or take to dealer since under warranty to check.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright I will do both. I will send my car to a shop to get the brakes done since its gone and ask them to do check for those also. Thanks for the advice guys.

Btw what is the cause of having the bearings go? and what causes the dust shield hit the rotor? I want to make sure that once the problem is fixed it wont happen again.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bad bearings can be from repeated big bumps , hitting a pot holes, running curbs, etc.

just bend the shield a bit when you take off the wheels. problem fixed.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 AM
SL Member

ABS kicking in?
Old 01-29-2014, 04:15 AM

Bad wheel bearing. You definitely can get grinding noises, and sometimes clunking noises...