Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Install Ingalls Damper

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Install Ingalls Damper

Tools Needed:
Socket Set
Open Head Wrench's

Optional
Dynamat
Razor/Scissors

Install

Open your package.

Here is what Ingalls sends you (minus the Dynamat)

In order to gain access to the passenger side strut tower bolts you will need to remove the plastic rain guard on the passenger side. To do this remove this bolt to remove the wiper for that side of the guard. Plastic clips hold the guard in.

Remove this 10mm bolt to "move" the coolant tank. It’s going to be hard to remove the motor mount bolts without doing this.

Tank moved.

Use a 14mm hex socket and remove the (Black) M10 nut on the passenger side motor mount replace it with the standard M10 17mm Hex nut.

This is the nut. Don't mind my "working mans" fingers I just got done working with concrete.

Bolt installed. Now remove the 14mm Bolt

Place the large spacer over the bolts hole.

Install bracket using the long 17mm M10 bolt, and the 14mm M10 nut that Ingalls supplies. Make sure to place the gold washer under the long bolt. Ingalls suggests blue lock tight on the M10 bolt to prevent it for coming loose.

Remove the two OEM 14mm bolts, place the bracket over these bolts and tighten down. *This is a good time to lay down a layer or two of Dynamat.

Install the damper using the supplied bolts, washers, rubber O-rings, and nuts. The nut size is 15mm the bolt size is 17mm.

Notice it goes Bolt>Bracket>Washer>O-ring>Damper>Nut

All installed make sure to use the supplied zip tie to clamp the Black hose back away from the Damper Bracket to prevent rubbing.

All done!

Results
After Installing at the factory setting which is 14mm (soft setting). I noticed a slight whistling sound coming from the engine bay during acceleration, it wasn’t intrusive or annoying (I actually liked the sound) I’ve yet to test out a stiffer setting I will have to read how to do it. I also didn’t hear any rattles people have been complaining about witch could be because I placed a piece of Dynamat under the bracket. Or the fact that it’s set on the lowest setting. Performance wise the car felt a little more "peppy" launching the car felt a little different it bounced a few times and then flattened out. I did notice a little bit of a rough start up/shut down of the car, I assume this roughness will increase with a stiffer setting, But that really isn’t a problem for me. The brackets Ingalls sent me weren’t the best cosmetically This is because some traces of zinc had found its way into the brackets during manufacturing. I’m told this will not be a problem for future orders. The Stiffy itself looks sweet very nice touch of "bling". I will probably powder coat the brackets Black to blend in a little better. All and all its a pretty sweet product, Instructions could be improved some, could be considered to "cloudy" for some new installers. I will post more info on this as soon as I figure out how to stiffen this thing.

12-13-05
Ok after a little bit of cursing and a call to Ingalls I got the damper adjusted to the stiffest setting. I personally did not notice any difference in the terms of vibrations/rattles etc from the stock 14mm setting. I hear a slight "swoosh" sound almost like the sound a CAI makes but that’s about it. The car did shake a little bit more during start up, but this isn’t a big deal to me. I ran some launches in the car and it seemed to level out a lot better then before. I also here this damper will help smooth out your shifting as well. As I test this product more I will update this topic for sure. I would like to say thanks to Rob for helping me out! (I had a little problem getting the lock nut off so Rob sat on the phone with me for about 10 minutes till I got it off!!) I hear Ingalls will have the trunk tower brace and some other goodies out soon, I will be sure to post a review on those ASAP!!

12-14-05
Day 3 with the Stiffy, I start the car up and it shakes a little bit nothing big, first gear shakes like the car wants to stall. 2nd gear is almost the same feeling 3rd 4th and 5th gear are fine, I hear a slight "spool" "cai" type sound and that’s about it, I also notice a little smooter shifting with the damper on. It seemed to engage smoother to me. I talked to Nester at ZPI he says on their car they did notice some chassis noise, but take in mind that this is also a 300hp car, So I think its a pretty even trade off performance vs. noise/comfort.

Special thanks to Rob @ http://www.ingallseng.com for his help with this review!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default proper bracket attachment...

Paul make sure you mention that the attachment of the damper always goes nut>bracket>metal washer>rubber o ring>damper>bolt. Doing it this way decreases the potential noise of the damper hitting against the bracket. If you don't you get that high resonation noise some people refer to as a"whine".... Damn you work fast especially this early in the morning! Good reveiw and some awseome photos...
Old 12-14-2005, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: proper bracket attachment...

Originally Posted by robstamina
Paul make sure you mention that the attachment of the damper always goes nut>bracket>metal washer>rubber o ring>damper>bolt. Doing it this way decreases the noise of the damper against the bracket. If not you will get a lot of metalic sounding noise of it hitting the bracket.....and I just noticed the red text on the third picture from the bottem. Damn you work fast especially this early in the morning...
Ahh I got it its really Bolt>Bracket>Washer>O-ring>Damper>Nut..
Old 12-14-2005, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will espeically notice the difference when rev matching on your downshifts..that was where I really felt a big improvement with my Weapon R damper.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do these engine dampers get in the way of a strut bar?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JohnL
Do these engine dampers get in the way of a strut bar?
As you can see I don't have one but depending on the strut bar it should work fine...
Old 12-14-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the write up, def. gettin one.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

whoa when did you have 300hp?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by DuMa
I think he was talking about the ZPI cars.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

when Ingalls installed mine, they never took the bolt off the wiper nor the winshield wiper fluid tank. They did have socket extension though. Kaeon, the first time I tried it, I really gun it to like 5000 rpm before I switched it to 2nd gear. Nice DIY write-up bro. And like your self, I cant wait for all the future tC products from Ingalls!

Anyway, you should be able to install the top bracket with only removing these plastic pins. You are able to lift this plastic cover enough to access the strut tower.

[/img]
Old 12-15-2005, 01:58 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

As a bit of info for everyone...
I was recently informed by a moderator of another site that purchased the dampener from us that he replaced the rubber o-rings with a teflon or polyurethane washers/bushing from home depot (.50 cents each) and a majority of the noises and vibrations were even more severely suppressed. I think it would be a great addition to the dynamat people use.

Anyway, thanks for a great review of an excellent product, we sell these all day long and everyone has been ecstatic with them, no complaints from anyone. As a vendor here we have them for sale at this thread: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96381

Tai
Old 12-15-2005, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CorSport
I was recently informed by a moderator of another site that purchased the dampener from us that he replaced the rubber o-rings with a teflon or polyurethane washers/bushing from home depot (.50 cents each) and a majority of the noises and vibrations were even more severely suppressed. I think it would be a great addition to the dynamat people use.

Anyway, thanks for a great review of an excellent product, we sell these all day long and everyone has been ecstatic with them, no complaints from anyone. As a vendor here we have them for sale at this thread: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96381

Tai
I have had mine on for about 10k on the civic and just recently switched out my damper bracket bushings for poly and it makes it even more stiffer..Transfers and resonates more but I rather have the performance elements as trade. I then dynamated the strut tower bracket and it "deaden" all the resonation...The e.t.d definately cleaned up the shifting "slop" from 1st to 2nd. It dramatically improved the unbarable torque steer and wheel hop I get from the supercharger....Good informitive post too...
Old 12-15-2005, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

woah, looks so much nicer quality than the weaponR damper!
Old 12-15-2005, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Magnus213
Originally Posted by DuMa
I think he was talking about the ZPI cars.
Correct I said Nester from ZPI, But I do have a stage 0 coming in hopefully nextweek

Originally Posted by schwettynuts
when Ingalls installed mine, they never took the bolt off the wiper nor the winshield wiper fluid tank.
Thats the coolant tank You don't have to do these steps but I do suggest them it really saves the "oh s%$ I just dropped that bolt and lost it" I try to make these DIY's less "stressfull" I might say. I know how it is when you get a part and you drop or loose a bolt because there is no space to work.

Originally Posted by CorSport
Tai
Yes the rubber o-rings seem to break off easy, I was thinking of trying this aswell..
Old 12-16-2005, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good product. It was very easy to install about 45 mins. Could have been faster, because placing the dynomat xtreme took awhile. I also hear some whistling or belt spinning noise coming from the right side but its not my cai.

hey kaeon,

did you adjusted the stiffness yet?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good job.. I am glad I got to see what it looks like installed. I wonder if you can still use a strut brace still?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Yes, you can still use strut bar. click my profile and youll see the picture.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is one of the better alternatives to Dynomat Extreme. Same thing but cheaper:
http://www.raamaudio.com/

I am about to get one of them puppies. It is scary to look at my engine bouncing around when I start the car.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone know where to buy just a little piece of dynamat for the damper? i don't want pay $0.1 plus $11 shipping for a piece on ebay
Old 12-18-2005, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

go to a local car audio place.

Quick Reply: Install Ingalls Damper