Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

just got tein s tech springs! have a few questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member

Default just got tein s tech springs! have a few questions!

Hey you guys knows a lot more than I will ever regarding cars so I thought to bring this up with you..I just got tein s tech springs, and I was wondering..

(1) How much I should expect to pay to get them installed

(2) Do I have to get anything besides these springs to get my car lowered?

(3) Do I need to do anything after I lower the car, for example, I've heard you need to get your wheels alligned or something?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member

im gonna try to answer this with what i know from previous experience

springs are usually listed in the 4 hours range for install time so +- an hour at lets say $65 bucks an hour brings us to $260 so im going to estimate you'll pay somewhere around that

i would suggest picking up adjustable shocks to keep up with your springs because the springs will be obviously stiffer than stock and your shocks werent tuned by the factory to handle the reduction in suspension travel that lowering your car brings..in some situations meaning ____ poor handling, now as long as they arent too stiff... i think the TRD springs are 20% stiffer than stock and i heard that they work well with the stock shocks..https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=115460... check out that thread.. i dont know too much technicals about the s.techs but you should look for a progressively wound spring if this is your daily driver because it will still allow you to coast over small bumps and potholes with relative comfort, but they wind up real good when your looking to get aggressive,

and yes id have your car aligned after having the springs installed because lowering your car will change your camber which can have a real bad effect on tire wear

again i hope this helps a little
Old 05-12-2006, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the S-techs and they ride fine on stock struts. In Miami it will cost you $100 to install. I have installed them on hondas and though a good learning work experience, I am getting too old for that and would rather pay the $100. A good $80-100 Alignment will be required with a camber adjustment. I would suggest at least a set of sway bars that will complete the handling package. I use Hotchkis, but there a other companies like PROGRESS, SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES and TRD to name a few that you can pick from. They all do pretty much the same thing - just try and avoid the no-name garbage on EBAY and stick with the stuff that has a warranty. Oh yeah and buy a great set of tires like Nitto and KDW. Good Luck in your quest - welcome to the begining of a fun relationship with your Scion.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't answer the installation question cause I installed it myself but you do need to get an alignment afterwards. Wait about 2 weeks until the springs settle first or else you'll be paying for 2 alignments.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

260.... thats almost stealership pricing...

this is what i did with my h-techs, and what many are doing with there s-techs..different cars have different rules that apply..

1) you should look to pay around 50-150.. i paid 60, but i knew the shop

2) you do not need to get a camber kit, as the tC can handle a drop up to 2.5 inches all around

3) you could look into some shocks, later down the road you are gonna need them because your stocks will blow.. maybe like 45k miles..not anytime soon. i would highly suggest KONI YELLOWS, opposed to the TRD.

4) you will want to get an allignment, after your springs settle, which is like 2-3 weeks..the longer you wait, the more severe the tires will get eaten. as we all know, CAMBER IS GOOD, TOE IS BAD... with that low of a drop, youll get some unwanted TOE.

5) drive carefully until the springs settle in, slow down over bumps, watch for potholes, and just dont push the springs too much... this will cause severe damage to the springs, and to the suspension as a whole... just give it some break in time...