Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Share with me your suspension advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Share with me your suspension advice!

So I'm planning on buying a tC by the end of June, and I definitely want to make this car handle like its on rails. I owned an 89 Probe GT that handled real nice after I was done with it, and I'm doing the same to the tC (once I buy it). I will definitely do the following:
  • FSTB
  • Struts
  • Springs
  • F&R sway bars
  • RSTB (if there is one, haven't heard anything about them)

I'm definitely going to get the TRD struts and springs, since I'm not a fan of the "slammed" look, and streets are crappy out here anyways. I was thinking about the Hotchkiss FSTB, but is it worth the $225 to add it to a new Scion compared to a less expensive bar later? And how does it compare to other bars that are availaable? I was leaning towards the TRD swaybar, but why buy 1 if I can buy 2 (Hotchkiss as well) for a little more? Or are there any other really nice swaybars out there that I'm not aware of? Hehehe its nice having choices, the aftermarket selection for Probes, especially 89s, was.. limited.. at best.

By the way, I've heard people have ordered their tCs with struts & springs installed; does that occur during the ordering process at the dealership? I ask because that option isn't available online.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another question - has anyone found poly swaybar endlinks? Again, I had them on the Probe, and after I put them on, the nose of the car never dipped when braking, it was like a rock.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the trd springs . and i love it stiff when cornering and braking but the ride is soft like a babys bottom !
Old 06-02-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will not be disappointed with the Hotchkis sway bar. As for another sway bar manufacturer, I don't think I will need stiffer than 338% in the rears. Ride feels more comfortable now with the reduced body roll. As far as suspension goes, I have to agree with a lot of people on the boards that the rear sway bar is the bang for your buck mod you can do.

Ran out of time so I didn't get to install the front ones yet. Oh and congrats on choosing the tC.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD it all around hehe
Old 06-08-2005, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tj, Not to dis you buddy but the sway bar has zero or at the very most very very little effect on braking with the possible exception of braking into a turn. Your springs are the primary control, shocks secondary as far as normally upgradeable suspension parts are concerned.

For the cost of the TRD shocks and springs you can spend just a bit more and get full coilovers like Tein Basics, you can set the ride height as high as you want, they are repairable if the shocks fail(I would verify that but usually are) and in generall will perform better. I would match them up with Hotchkis STB and sway bars. You may not need the rear camber links if not dropping the car much but they are a very nice addition for those of us going fairly low.

There is no rear STB and none really needed, I have discussed this in depth with Hotchkis, was willing to build myown but they said there is nothing to gain, the design of the rear is very solid. I agree, the top of the struts are mounted about level with the crossmember that is very solidily built, there is just no leverage on the struts to flex anything;) Believe me, if one was going to give an improvement I would of build one already

Rick
Old 06-08-2005, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wish there were affordable camber links out or anything to adjust the camber on the tc when slammed esp with the tein s techs
Old 06-08-2005, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is some camber adjustment possible on the rear with the factory parts, not sure how much because we have the Hotchkis links. They are very easy to adjust and have eurathane bushings, very nice units.

Rick
Old 06-09-2005, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got the TRD setup, and I come from a MR2 with a sports car suspension. The TRD is still to soft. I personaly think it has to do with the progressive rate springs, but the ride quality is very good. I am going to swap out the TRD bar with a Hotchkis set of front and rears and see if I can reduce my side sway more.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by apexjr
I've got the TRD setup, and I come from a MR2 with a sports car suspension. The TRD is still to soft. I personaly think it has to do with the progressive rate springs, but the ride quality is very good. I am going to swap out the TRD bar with a Hotchkis set of front and rears and see if I can reduce my side sway more.
Bars help and all don't get me wrong... But a true coilover set is what will make a huge difference compared to the sway bars. Springs/struts are the primary compnonents to reduce body roll. Bars are only an aid for them. If you leave your spring setup soft, and just put in beefy bars, your handling will be somewhat skewed and not up to par as to what you could really have.

Coilovers first, no doubt in my mind. Then it's up to you from there.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree the coilovers are the best way to go and they will dramatically reduce body roll with stiffer springs. There is a point of deminishing returns with stiffer springs, once past the comfort point you can tolerate and more importanly past the point where you can maintain good tire contact with the particular roads you generally drive on, stiffer springs will hurt your ability to stay on the line you want, you will lose traction over the bumps.

I have always preferred slighty softer springs with fairly agressive shocks then finish it off with the proper sway bars.

Progressive rate springs are ok for an improvement over stock to a limitied degree, once you start pushing really hard through the turns and if you hit pumps, etc, you can get a very unsettled suspenion due to the sudden changes in spring rates at the corner effected, linear rate are always the best in that regards;)

Rick
Old 06-09-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much are the coilovers going to run?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Coilovers will normally run about 750-1500 depending how if you want damper adjustments or not. It all depends on how much you want to spend.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So coilovers... are springs? Or are they suspension components that adjust spring height?Or something entirely different?

If I get coilovers (I'd assume they go over my springs) then would I still need lowering springs to.. lower my car?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
So coilovers... are springs? Or are they suspension components that adjust spring height?Or something entirely different?

If I get coilovers (I'd assume they go over my springs) then would I still need lowering springs to.. lower my car?
1. all of the above
2. no