Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Unstable at higher speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

potenzas are nice tires.... they're soft... but wear easily... I kinda...know what you mean when @ higher speeds... i just hold on to the wheel tighter... but most def... tires would make a difference
Old 10-05-2005, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SiknesS
potenzas are nice tires.... they're soft... but wear easily... I kinda...know what you mean when @ higher speeds... i just hold on to the wheel tighter... but most def... tires would make a difference
Man... Idk ... they don't stick worth a crap.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What Potenzas are you talking about? The S-03s on my Supra? Yeah, they're pretty good. The RE92's on the tC? They're crap, even Tire Rack customers agree on that. They are rated second to LAST in their category for good reason.

While I don't like the EBFD system, and I think the ABS on the car is too aggressive kicking in, especially over bumps, if you are still on RE92s, you really haven't experienced what a stock tC will do with just better tires. I'd spend money on tires before springs, shocks, strut bar, swaybars, or any other suspension mod. None of those mods will yield as large an improvement as better tires will. Even all of them together with the RE92s will not beat a bone stock tC on any decent tire. Really. Spend money where it makes the biggest difference first.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RollTide
I've tracked the tC on stock tires. The car will handle on those tires when properly inflated at higher speed(95+). The car does get really unstable under high speed moderate braking. When I say unstable, I don't mean a predictable movement like the back end coming out or sliding... it just gets really wiggly, the backend kinda jacks around from side to side. There's no steering wheel inputs going on when this happens either. It scared the crap out of my instructor and me the first few times it happened. I've had a discussion with a guy on this forum who has tracked his tC on the same track with DIFFERENT tires and noticed the same problem. It's not the track either. We decided it must be a suspension issue.

Could it be related to this some how?

-Tide
With 245/40/17 Proxes T1S on 8.5" rims, I've had ABS working on all four wheels from a 75 mph roll and the car was stable with the stock suspension. It's really the tires. They suck.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a combo of everything that everyone is saying. after i put my kit on and springs, this little problem is gone. i need some canards and a gt wing now. i think that problem is more noticable when the car is stock, but then again my wife's tc is basicly stock and there r no problems with hers. u might have a lemon.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:35 AM
5 Year Member

Default the factory upgrade 18' with pirellis are terrific

I drive 30 mins to and from work every day, all highway, at a constant up and down from 85-95 mph simply because my tC handles like a dream. It's just so fun to drive. Especially weaving in and out of traffic. All the dirty looks are hillarious. People are so uptight.

Definitely try better tires!
Old 10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i need new tires and a sway bar, i got outhandled and out accelerated by a v6 accord on the highway through the twisties.....i knew i couldnt beat him in straight line speed but he walked even harder in the turns, the accord looked like it has stock suspnsion too
Old 10-06-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Not sure unless it is alignment...

The potenzas arent great, but have no issue at high speed. I have run mine a lot faster through tight corners as well as flat and straight, and feel it is VERY stable. There is way too much panic regarding them causing a wreck. If not so grippy tires causes it, then what happens when people drive on streets just getting wet from rain.. or even snow???? If you can get better tires, do it, but I dont see it being that, as mine does very well at high speed. I have gotten it to 115 (on a straight, flat KS road that I could see for miles down.. .so no mothers griping at me please) and it felt as good as would be expected at that speed. I was actually pretty impressed.

And as far as "the oversteer" causing it.... the tC needs MORE oversteer as does most all FWD cars, which is the main reason I want a rear sway only. The flipping off the highway posts I have seen were due to poor driving 100%. And then there is the "fishtailing wildly taking off from a stop light" which was either poor recognition of torque steer or the story was not completely told. Even with BALD tires on rain a fwd is not going to start fishtailing from a dead stop no matter what you do unless the e-brake is on. Sorry if I am referring to anyones experience that is here, but sorry , the fishtail from stop just goes against physics in this case.

So bottom line, go get it checked.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting comments. I ditched the RE92s after I got power understeer on a wet on-ramp at 30 mph. I've taken the same turn at 45 on my T1Ss in the wet, so I know it was the tires. Glad you are OK with them. I still think they are crap and should not be on any car sold as a "sporty" model.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ I do agree they arent great tires... but so many people try to blame them for the dumbest things. THAT is what I was refferring to.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, took my car in today... They checked the alignment and nothing was off, so I went out driving on the highway with them and they simply said that's the way that the car handled. I think that's BS cause I've had my car for like 5 months so far, and I only started noticing this like 2 weeks ago. Maybe I'll get some better tires, and do some suspension mods to keep it cornering better...
Old 10-08-2005, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's an unfortunately frequent answer. The truth is, they don't want to troubleshoot something for very long because it doesn't get covered by warranty if it takes a long time. The dealership just eats troubleshooting, so they do what they need to do: check alignment to be sure it isn't bad, check the tires and the pressures, look for obvious problems like bent wheels or suspension, leaking shocks, etc, and call it good. Anything more is going to really hurt them financially, and they've addressed all the safety issues by doing those things, so they know you aren't going to die from the problem. That's part of why I didn't want to be a line mechanic for a car dealership. Too much emphasis on speed, and if you get a reputation for being really good, you end up with a lot of diagnostics that don't pay very well.

I hope tires sort out your problem. I know for sure you'll like the car a LOT better with quality rubber under it. I know there's nothing I've done that made as big a difference.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

while I do know about how crappy the stock tires are. I have had no problems with them like you have described.

eventually I will get better tires, but not until the current ones are near death.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think that the it could only be that it was windy that day you were drivin at that highway, coz yesterday i was on 680 north and i kept noticing that my car wanders, i thought my car was messed up, but as i got to highway 80, the unstability disappeared, and my friend that was in the car too said that it was only the wind, coz he was drivin at the same highway with a tc and he said it was so windy outside that he had a hard time keeping the car straight too...

altho im pretty sure that it's just the wind, it could be that it's the tires too...
Old 10-09-2005, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nah, it was a beautiful day no wind. And besides, I've taken it out on the parkway at least 5 more times to try and pinpoint what it does exactly and it has done it every single time.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Potenzas are the worst tire I have ever had on a car. My '02 Mazda Protege also came with Potenzas. I am also concerned about how my car feels in turns and corners. I am sure it's not just the tire, because I could really hang in corners with my protege (handling did improve when i switched tires). I can't wait to get new tires for my TC. I have changed the stock sway bar to the TRD sway bar on race setting and I noticed that the handling improved but it is still lacking.
I can take cars on straight aways but when it comes to windy roads I dont even try.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member

I think it's either you are too sensitive or there is something wrong with your car. I drive three times a week 65 miles averaging 85mph and my 2005 with 19,000 miles on the Potenzas is as stable as any car ive driven. In fact I hit triple digit speeds a lot of those days and the tC is still stable. Only around 115mph-127 mph on conrners does it feel flighty at all but it is stock. I imagine some springs would fix that right up
Old 10-10-2005, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yo, where are you at that ur hitting triple digits!!! with corners no less!
Old 10-10-2005, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member

Highway through the cornfields of Illinois
Old 10-11-2005, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

neatness!