Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Wearing out parts - struts etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wearing out parts - struts etc

For everyone who has had lowering springs and then the stock struts wear out on them, how many miles approximately did it take after install for the struts to wear out? I am debating lowering springs but might be considering coilovers but I have only 4500 miles on my car and I cannot think of a really bad reason to not just get springs. Also, how much of a drop does it take for the struts to really start to wear out? I am looking at the Eibach Pro-kit if I went with springs with just a 1.2" drop. I just feel like this should not be a huge difference but I guess they will have some added stress on them since they will be compressed a little bit all the time.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its going to be different for everyone really, how the person drives, what kind of roads they drive on, etc. Some people have been riding on s-techs for 30k miles and some people had trouble in less miles. S techs are like 2.4" Front and 2.2" rear drop. I have been on TRD springs for like 20k on stock struts and they are still going strong. TRD is like 1.25" drop all the way around.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First, read this: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-suspension-handling-1615/suspension-faq-read-first-47974/

Second... there are no answers to your questions. Sucks, I know.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

another thing i would like to note is, as struts wear out, you are not gonna notice the immediate difference right away, for example ive had my Htechs on for about 35k miles and i feel them the same i did when i first bought them, but infact they may be acctually feel worse.

imagine having a friend, that friend steadily gains weight 5 lbs a month for a year, if you hang out with that friend everyday, you might not notice that weight, whereas if you hadnt seen him in a year, you would notice right away! lol

hope that helps, but in all honesty my Htechs still feel great! (although too soft for taking turns too aggressively)
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the feedback and sorry I missed the sticky. It might just be worth it to just get coilovers even though they are mucho expensive! Regarding coilovers, what swaybar(s) do people usually run with them? I have a progress swaybar but was going with just springs but now re-thinking set-up. Just curious you know.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got the TRD Sway now, but anything would be better than stock, just stick with what you've already got, the Progress is a great product and probably one of the better ones there are.

Have you considered the Raceland coilovers? 250~ shipped on eBay from 'racelandus' user, it's a great deal, I've got them and love them, especially for the money.

And just to give you some input about the stock struts, I had Tein H-techs on mine for 40k before swapping to the coilovers and they were still fine, I rode on them hard too, but I didn't have any other suspension stuff on them either, I'm sure an upgraded sway bar would put more stress on them than just leaving it stock like I had.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What's the quality like on the Raceland coilovers? There are a lot of haters out there over these things so I'm just curious! I know I made a great decision with the progress sway bar but wanted to make sure the rear only aftermarket sway was cool with coilovers. I wish there was an in between from Raceland to Teins, K sport, or whomever. There is a big price gap!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, seeing as the guys who installed my are familiar with much more expensive sets and they were impressed with the quality, I'd say it's a lot better than the haters say.

The Racelands are basically the same as the Tein Basics in that they're only height adjustable and you have to use the OEM top hats, and the spring rates are almost identical.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have finally decided to finally just get tokico's and lowering springs instead of taking of wearing out struts w/ just lowering springs or using the cheaper raceland coilovers. I believe the coilovers will be good but not overly confident with them unfortunately. This way i am at a good middle of road compromise between just springs and coilovers! Then later down the road, upgrade the bushings with Energy Suspensions bushings to top everything off!