Notices

Rotor sound like two balloons rubbing! Why??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rotor sound like two balloons rubbing! Why??

My front drivers side rotor is warped, this I know. So I ordered new rotors and pads (they haven't come in yet). It wasn't really a problem up until last night however. Boston has been raining for 3 days straight now (its terrible) and ever since last night, my front right wheel started making the craziest sound. It sounds like two rubber balloons rubbing together. I thought my tire was just rubbing the wheel well, but its nowhere close. The sound is definitely coming from the brakes/rotors.

It's LOUD and it is dependent on speed (its like 3/4 of the rotor = sound and the other quarter is silent, so the faster i go the faster the sound). I know it has to do with brakes because if I apply a decent amount of pressure on the brakes, the noise stops (but it has to be a decent amount). The crazy part though, is that if I'm accelerating (even 1.5RPM from a stop) the noise isn't there until I let go of the acceleration. Rolling at like 1 mph in neutral still makes the noise though.

What else is, turning right makes the noise go away. Noise is there going straight and turning left though.

So recap, its been raining like crazy, noise started about a day into the rain, sounds like balloons rubbing, right turns, accelerating, or braking makes the noise stop, it is dependent on speed and its not the tires. I'm hoping it'll stop once it stops raining. If it doesn't, I'm hoping switching out the pads and rotors will stop it. But I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas other than a warped rotor + rain causing this. It has rained before while warped and it never made this noise. And why would accelerating and right turns make it stop?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

hub bearing?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought that might be it, but its a 2008 (so time hasnt done much to it yet) and i had just checked those about 3 weeks ago. plus yesterday when the noise started, it kinda gradually happened and got louder and louder (i assume its because it just kept raining). i didnt hit any potholes or anything crazy like that.

but ill check tomorrow (if it stops freaking raining) just to double check its not the bearings
Old 08-25-2010, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ might want to also check the CV joint/axle boots, make sure those aren't cracked. Turning usually affects the cv joint/axle and/or the bearings and when bad, noise and/or vibration.

So yeah, check both of them. When it's raining and i have nowhere to look under the car, I go to a u-wash car wash. and get under the car there to look, most of the time they're dry in the rain. I dont know why no one wants to wash their car when it's raining. lol
Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hm... would it still be the CV joint if im going straight and the noise is there? turning only affects the noise in the way that turning right makes it go away. anyways, ill take a video in a bit of the noise.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im pretty sure its the same thing that happened to me. Tighten those lug nuts!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bboylayz
hm... would it still be the CV joint if im going straight and the noise is there? turning only affects the noise in the way that turning right makes it go away. anyways, ill take a video in a bit of the noise.

yeah a video would definitely help diagnose the noise source. usually cv joints make noise when you turn, they can click click click when going straight. Bearings make noise going straight and the noise goes away when turning. But post up that video.

Last edited by sciontc_mich; 08-26-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching.. im having the same issue but mine occurs after long drives lets say 20 miles then i turn right into my driveway and the right side front wheel is making a rubbing sound.. it stopped now but occurs on occasion. Could it have something to do with the fact that the car is dropped? My friend who is a mechanic testdrove it and he said its most likely the brake pads which havent been greased before being applied. I just had them done not to long ago, but yeah im watching for this video im curious to knw what the sound is