Notices

What's the best performance winter/snow tire out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:56 PM
SL Member

Default What's the best performance winter/snow tire out there?

I'm looking for the best winter/snow performance z-rated tire out there for the stock 17's...any suggestions? How much snow traction is lost when going with a z-rated snow tire as aposed to a non-z rated snow tire?

Anyone ever try the Dunlop SP Winter Sports? If so any feedback? Although they're not z-rated just how good are the Blizzak WS-60s in the snow...and just how bad do they handle on dry roads, specifically in the corners?

These will be for my wife's tc and she's adamant about not letting me put regular non-z rated snow tires on her stock rims for the winter...she drives fast and doesn't want to sacrifice dry road handling. However times are tough and money is tight so I'm hunting for a used set and I can't be picky so the first set I find within my budget I'm buying...z-rated or not.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A lot of my friends who own rwd cars (i.e. RX8's, Mustangs, 350z's, 300zx's) in ohio have Blizzaks during the winter and they never got stuck. I get stuck in my tc with all season tires.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

You're worried about Blizzaks because they're not Z-Rated?

Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm with Jon on this... why is Z rated important again? Is she going to be going 150 in the snow in her stock tC? That's an honest question... Z rated tires are good up to at least 150mph - which the tC just plain isn't capable of in stock form.

Even an H rating (which many winter tires appear to be) are good up to 130 mph... the tC is limited to 127, btw.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:09 PM
SL Member

When I make reference to a z-rated tire I'm talking about tight handling in corners and not driving at high speeds even though that's where the z-rating comes from...since in my mind when I hear z-rated tires I think perfomance street tires. I realize the z-rating isn't strictly reserved for performance street tires...my fault for not choosing my words more carefully. I should have referenced street performance instead of z-rated.

Obvioulsy she won't be driving at high speeds in the snow or even taking tight/fast turns in the snow but the majority of the time she'll be driving in the winter will be on dry roads in which case she'll be driving fast and corning at higher speeds...she drives like a bat out of hell thanks to me and my poor driving habits. I've read complaints about the Blizzak WS-60s and other tires like this that state the soft side walls make the car feel uneasy in tight corners or when weaving in and out of traffic on dry roads. I'm trying to keep this uneasy feeling to a minimum for her if at all possible but above all else I need something that won't get stuck in the snow. We live in the Kansas City area and it does snow here pretty good.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most hardcore snow tires are going to be MUCH softer than any summer tire.

Looking at Tire Rack, there are 3 basic categories of snow tires... you have Studdable tires (really hardcore), Studless (like the WS60s) and then Performance Winter (the Dunlops).

Without going to a more-performance oriented all-season tire, I think you just shop in the Performance Winter category. I've heard good things about the Dunlops but have never driven on them personally. But again, no matter which winter tire you choose, I don't think you're going to get too far away from the "washy" feeling on dry roads. It's just the nature of the tread and rubber compounds used for winter tires.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

All z-rated noobness aside, my Dunlop Wintersports are phenomenal. Out of every single tire I have ever purchased/came with car, they are the only tires I would ever re-purchase. And I've bought a lot of different tires.