Notices

tire warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tire warranty question

I just replaced my tires at discount tire. My old tires had a 50k mile warranty but wore down in half the time. The tech at discount tire said that they could not give me any prorated warranty return because the tire manufacturer would not give discount tire any warranty money because my car's alignment was off and the wear was uneven. Is this accurate? How does discount tire get prorated warranty money?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your alignment was off and caused the uneven wear leading to the tires needing replacing then they will not prorate the warranty because the wear on the tire was not in fact the dealers fault. The way they look at it is that if you didn't take the proper measures to take care of alignment and etc. to meet the expected mileage warranty, they pretty much say the warranty is void.

If it was actually caused by not getting an alignment I wouldn't expect any prorate for the new tires. If you did get scheduled alignments and rotation you'll need all that paperwork showing so to argue that you were given crappy tires.

hope this helps
Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the insight. I'm planning to get an alignment for my new tires so the tires wear correctly.