Notices

Who runs higher PSI in their tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Who runs higher PSI in their tires?

I'm just wondering what PSI other tC owners are running. Especially those with the stock wheels. The recommended PSI is 32 for the front and 29 for the rear, but I hear that people who don't really care about ride quality will run higher PSI numbers for fuel economy and performance. If this is you please post what PSI numbers are you running, and if you've experienced any abnormal thread wear. I'm mainly interested in PSI numbers for the street, but if you track your car post the PSI you run there as well. No harm in knowing more info.

Also, why is the recommended tire pressure different for the front and rear tires? Is it to induce understeer?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The difference in pressure is due to the fact that the front of the car weighs more then the rear. If the tire pressure isn't compensated for, then the front will run flatter, and the rear will run with a slight over inflation. Increasing pressure in the front, and decreasing it in the rear will reflect the weight difference, and therefore, equil out.

heavier front + increased tire pressure = just right
lighter rear - lowered tire pressure = just right

I would say that you could run about 5 psi more then factory recomends. But no more. Any more, and you could have problems when the temprature changes. You will probably see a slight to moderate increase in tire wear in the middle area of the tire.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The TINY possible increase in mpg will be offset by the faster wear of the tires if you start raising pressures. So I say run what is rated on the car, regardless of the make and model of the tire. As mentioned above, the higher the pressure, the more uneven wear you can expect.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Funny that this topic came up

Just this morning I put 35 all around just to see what the ride is like. Car seems alot more nimble but tire wear is what Im worried about like engifineer said. I gotta get the most I can get out these tires.