Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Bottom End Torque Lost?

Old 10-29-2014, 02:35 AM

Default Bottom End Torque Lost?

So I installed my tsudo Catback exhaust system last week. I love the sound and the way the exhaust looks. It's definetely a nice system for the price. With that being said I did notice a decrease in my bottom end torque. I knew this was a possibility but i didn't expect to actually be able to feel this loss. My agency power crank pulley makes up for some of this but outside of switching back to my OEM exhaust is there anyway to gain my bottom end back?
Old 10-29-2014, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there an intake or any other mods done to the car?
Old 10-29-2014, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by azztinthebox
Is there an intake or any other mods done to the car?
Yes sir, takeda cold air intake as well. If not for having a cold air intake already installed I could go with a short ram and possibly see some of my bottom end come back. Do you think the Dezod Headers would gain any of my bottom end back? I'm in the process of saving up for a set anyway.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At one point or another, I've run the Tsudo, Dezod Green, and Takeda Intake, as well as NST Pulley.

The low-end power loss with the Tsudo (and probably all 2.5" exhausts for this car) is definitely real. One of the main reasons I got rid of it in favor of the Dezod header with TRD axleback. I noticed an immediate increase in power when I took the Tsudo off and went back to stock. Felt like an upgrade!

The Dezod header will give you some of your bottom-end back since it shows gains across the entire rev band. Should just about get you back to stock low-end numbers. Your car will be loud as hell with that and the Tsudo though so be ready for that.

Getting rid of the Takeda won't really do much for you. It didn't for me. I'm back on stock airbox and didn't notice any difference in sound or pull.

Bottom line, the header and pulley are pretty much the only bolt-ons that I would recommend since they don't mess with your bottom-end. Everything else is just for show and noise and I am totally over that at this point. You're young though so I'm sure you don't mind the extra noise :-D
Old 10-29-2014, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
At one point or another, I've run the Tsudo, Dezod Green, and Takeda Intake, as well as NST Pulley.

The low-end power loss with the Tsudo (and probably all 2.5" exhausts for this car) is definitely real. One of the main reasons I got rid of it in favor of the Dezod header with TRD axleback. I noticed an immediate increase in power when I took the Tsudo off and went back to stock. Felt like an upgrade!

The Dezod header will give you some of your bottom-end back since it shows gains across the entire rev band. Should just about get you back to stock low-end numbers. Your car will be loud as hell with that and the Tsudo though so be ready for that.

Getting rid of the Takeda won't really do much for you. It didn't for me. I'm back on stock airbox and didn't notice any difference in sound or pull.

Bottom line, the header and pulley are pretty much the only bolt-ons that I would recommend since they don't mess with your bottom-end. Everything else is just for show and noise and I am totally over that at this point. You're young though so I'm sure you don't mind the extra noise :-D
Thanks man that's great to hear that the Dezod Green should atleast get me back to stock. And no noise isn't too much of a concern at this point ;)
Old 10-30-2014, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dezod header gains power across the board with the rest of the exhaust system stock. Who knows what it will do with that 2nd cat on the midpipe the dyno across the board my be completely different then with stock midpipe. You may not gain any bottom end, you may lose more, no way to tell unless you can find dyno charts somewhere.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:08 PM

Any one exactly why this happens? I want to get an exhaust because for the sound but I don't want that loss of power all. So does that mean I should go axle back?
Old 01-12-2015, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by akwdcaveman
Any one exactly why this happens? I want to get an exhaust because for the sound but I don't want that loss of power all. So does that mean I should go axle back?
Increased exhaust pipe diameter in smaller engines. Loss in bottom end power for the sake of a small increase in top end power.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 PM

Increased exhaust pipe diameter in smaller engines. Loss in bottom end power for the sake of a small increase in top end power.
So would you say that's the loss of low end is not worth the high end gain?
Old 01-12-2015, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by akwdcaveman
So would you say that's the loss of low end is not worth the high end gain?
To me, personally, it wasn't. Above 4,000 rpm the car felt alive...but I don't spend much of my time above 4k. Most of my days I don't even get to 3k.

It was such a noticeable difference that when I took the Tsudo off and reinstalled the factory exhaust, it felt like an upgrade.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:50 PM

To me, personally, it wasn't. Above 4,000 rpm the car felt alive...but I don't spend much of my time above 4k. Most of my days I don't even get to 3k.

It was such a noticeable difference that when I took the Tsudo off and reinstalled the factory exhaust, it felt like an upgrade.
Lol im glad I didnt buy a cat back. Would you happen to know where to find the greddy evo3 axle back? ive looked online and cant find it anywhere.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry buddy, I don't really keep track of parts for this car anymore.

I did a quick search for the part number and came up with these few results

GReddy 10117300 Scion tC Evo3 Exhaust

11-13 Scion tC Greddy Evo3 Axleback: JSC Speed

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

No real surprise there